Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My mini review of the 9x14 CoilTek

Daniel Tn

There hasn't been a lot posted about this coil since it came out. I recall one a page or two back in which the poster wasn't fond of his, and the holes not lining up, etc.

Well everything aligns on the one I have. I actually really like the coil. I did notice that the coil ears are a little thinner than what I would like them to be but so far it hasn't been an issue.

As expected, this is a heavy coil. Heavier than the big 17" but that's the reason I got this coil. It's intended purpose for me, is shallow water hunting. The stock coil is a little bit light. Even in lake water, or water with a little bit of current, the coil wants to move around too easy. In the ocean, with really fast moving water, it moves around a lot. The 17" coil is heavier than the stock coil but it has too big of surface area IMO. It doesn't float but it creates a lot of drag in the water due to the sheer size of it...translation, you can wear yourself out with it and if you don't watch it, could easily snap the lower rod off the machine. Enter the 9x14. It is only slightly bigger than the stock coil but has a different coil footprint to it. I like the more elliptical shape to it. The weight is spot on for shallow water hunting. The coil is not so big that it causes the drag in the water, and not so big that you have trouble pin pointing/scooping in murky water where you can't see the bottom or the coil.

On land, it is a bear to swing. In my testing on land, I didn't really see any depth increase over the stock coil....not to justify the weight. With it being longer, you will get a little more ground coverage with it. You'll need the harness if you do it though. Where this coil shines is in the water just because of the weight and smaller profile. The 17 inch has its place but I personally think it is best for the open areas like fields, or dry/wet sand hunting, whereas the 9x14 is better in the water itself. So if you are like me and your intended use of the CTX is in or near the water for coins/jewelry, you might be happy with the 9x14. I plan on keeping it as my main water coil. Ain't hit gold with mine yet, just junker rings and coins, but it's not because it can't find them....just ain't got the coil over one yet.

One more thing...I bought an Anderson carbon lower shaft. I had one of these a few months back when I had the 6 inch coil. I sold some things off and the buyer wanted the Anderson shaft I had then. Well that first one had a screw that went in the end of the shaft to allow it to turn once it got inside the upper part of the detector. This newer one doesn't have the screw but has a piece on it similar to the stock Minelab CTX shaft. It also seems to be a little better made than the first one. The only thing is...it is shorter. This causes a slight problem if you aren't aware of it being shorter...it means the coil cable sticks out the end of the shaft by a few inches. Where you run into the issue, is when you are swapping out the lower rods. On the Anderson, in order to release the shaft, you have to push it all the way in like you normally would, then rotate it so that the grooves align. Well with the cable sticking out, you have to watch out for the connector hitting and jamming itself against the control box. I am having to pull the cord out and to the side of it, to let the shaft go in far enough to release from the tab. It's not a big deal but certainly something to be aware of. For the cost of them vs a new Minelab one, it is no biggie.

Well done review. Thanks. Good luck with it and the shaft may help a bit.

Great honest review. I think you correctly identified the ideal situation for this coil. Good hunting!

Daniel Tn said:
There hasn't been a lot posted about this coil since it came out. I recall one a page or two back in which the poster wasn't fond of his, and the holes not lining up, etc.

Well everything aligns on the one I have. I actually really like the coil. I did notice that the coil ears are a little thinner than what I would like them to be but so far it hasn't been an issue.

As expected, this is a heavy coil. Heavier than the big 17" but that's the reason I got this coil. It's intended purpose for me, is shallow water hunting. The stock coil is a little bit light. Even in lake water, or water with a little bit of current, the coil wants to move around too easy. In the ocean, with really fast moving water, it moves around a lot. The 17" coil is heavier than the stock coil but it has too big of surface area IMO. It doesn't float but it creates a lot of drag in the water due to the sheer size of it...translation, you can wear yourself out with it and if you don't watch it, could easily snap the lower rod off the machine. Enter the 9x14. It is only slightly bigger than the stock coil but has a different coil footprint to it. I like the more elliptical shape to it. The weight is spot on for shallow water hunting. The coil is not so big that it causes the drag in the water, and not so big that you have trouble pin pointing/scooping in murky water where you can't see the bottom or the coil.

On land, it is a bear to swing. In my testing on land, I didn't really see any depth increase over the stock coil....not to justify the weight. With it being longer, you will get a little more ground coverage with it. You'll need the harness if you do it though. Where this coil shines is in the water just because of the weight and smaller profile. The 17 inch has its place but I personally think it is best for the open areas like fields, or dry/wet sand hunting, whereas the 9x14 is better in the water itself. So if you are like me and your intended use of the CTX is in or near the water for coins/jewelry, you might be happy with the 9x14. I plan on keeping it as my main water coil. Ain't hit gold with mine yet, just junker rings and coins, but it's not because it can't find them....just ain't got the coil over one yet.

One more thing...I bought an Anderson carbon lower shaft. I had one of these a few months back when I had the 6 inch coil. I sold some things off and the buyer wanted the Anderson shaft I had then. Well that first one had a screw that went in the end of the shaft to allow it to turn once it got inside the upper part of the detector. This newer one doesn't have the screw but has a piece on it similar to the stock Minelab CTX shaft. It also seems to be a little better made than the first one. The only thing is...it is shorter. This causes a slight problem if you aren't aware of it being shorter...it means the coil cable sticks out the end of the shaft by a few inches. Where you run into the issue, is when you are swapping out the lower rods. On the Anderson, in order to release the shaft, you have to push it all the way in like you normally would, then rotate it so that the grooves align. Well with the cable sticking out, you have to watch out for the connector hitting and jamming itself against the control box. I am having to pull the cord out and to the side of it, to let the shaft go in far enough to release from the tab. It's not a big deal but certainly something to be aware of. For the cost of them vs a new Minelab one, it is no biggie.

I recently conducted several tests in dry soil, wet salt sand and saltwater surf. My findings under the test conditions I set up mirror those of Daniel Tn.
Good stability in saltwater, definitely does not float due to its weight. the larger footprint covers more area per swing and the elliptical shape enhances your ability to detect closer to obstacles and beach cuts. I was impressed by the sensitivity of this coil given its size to detect good targets when surrounded by junk.

The overall performance in terms of depth and sensitivity is very comparable to the Minelab stock 11" coil as Daniel Tn stated.

Just the view from my foxhole...your results may vary.

For any coil used in the water,just buy a cheap pair of exercise ankle weights in a bright color and wrap one around the shaft just above the coil. It keeps the coil on the bottom and stable and you can see the center of the coil better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ankle+weights&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUtI2UmfDWAhXB5CYKHa9vBuMQ_AUI_wEoAQ&biw=1536&bih=791