Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My new (old but new to me) setup

z8chase

just bought this sovereign xs2....one of Ron's 180 meters....cleaned and painted my coinsearch coil and for the moment im satisfied.
in 2 days ive already found about 3 bucks worth of newer clad in my yard..(after ive been over it a hundred times already with other detectors)
if anyone has a 550 meter layin around....pm me..i want to make mine totally original even if parts are just for looks.
also since im new to minelab..(always loved my garrett grand master hunter cx) and ill still have to be proven different....ive gotten so used to my old master hunter that its hard to learn something else.
im sure ill love it after i learn it...i just gotta not get discouraged

Nice looking xs...:thumbup:

Good looking set-up , what coil is that ? Coiltek 11 inch Coinsearch ? . GL Jim

Terry,the X-S2 is one of the better Sovereign models.My suggestion go to one of your favorite old worked out parks.Deep silver will require a wiggle to lock on a brief 180,this will take a little practice.I dig any target in the 140's and 173-180 when cherry picking.HH Ron

you can get a nylon spacer to bring that wingnut out off the coil ear fin. That find gives strength to the coil connection, you wouldnt want to break that. Stock they came with one. You can get them in home depot or lowes or some hardware stores. I may actually have one leftover, I will take a look for you.

the larger coinsearch is a fine coil but its a beast to swing, its unbalanced and is a tad heavy. A lighter larger coil that is balanced and performs well is the 10" Tornado coil by minelab. Also the 12X10 SEF and S12 are both balanced well and peform well.

Real nice looking unit there. I also like how you painted the coil. Never did care for white coils. Very dumb idea. What did you paint it with? Looks like primer? If it scratches off easy over time then next time try a can of spray on bed liner. Many use it to protect the bottom of their coils so they don't have the weight or hassle of cleaning under coil covers. I use it on all my coils. Waiting for the 8" Tornado to go out of warranty before I do it to that. You'd be surprised how heavy coil covers are. Even a few ounces at the end of the shaft makes a big difference at the end of the day, while when I've put on 3 to 5 coats of spray on bed liner it only adds around 1/10th to 3/10ths of an ounce if memory serves.

If you do go the spray on bed liner route, be sure to sand the coil down well if it's not already scuffed up good so it'll stick, and then clean it to get any dust or finger oils off before painting. Also, spray the stuff heavy onto some cardboard and then sweep over it first in all metal mode to make sure there are no minerals or metals in it. I did that and then in disc just to be double sure I didn't hear a null or something. I used Rustoleum bed liner spray in a can from the local Auto Parts store.

I seen a WOT painted top and bottom with spray on bed liner. Made it look so much nicer. I only paint the bottom and sides of my coils but when I get my 13" Ultimate I plan to paint it top and bottom with the stuff to make it black, unless I get my hands on one of the black ones they also make now.

These spray on bed liners leave a rippled textured finish just like a coil from the factory. It'll for sure hold up to abuse better than primer or other paints. It resists chipping or wearing down. A few years down the road if the coil casing is starting to show through from wear just spray a few more coats on it. One thing I found is for sure to let each coat dry in the hot sun for like 5 hours or so at least, because if you put another coat on before it's completely hard and cured it'll never get hard underneath or at least won't hold up as well.

its a rubbery implement primer used for undercoating combines and big farm machinery to keep water off.......very wear resistant with no side effects to magnetic field that i can tell.....but its thick....it does scratch easy if you used a knife or something before its dry....but its hard as shellac when its cured over night