Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

my new tesoro Cutlass UMax

i had on tesoros could not take it no more so i got this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tesoro-Metal-Detector-Cutlass-UMax-/151532483588?pt=US_Metal_Detectors&hash=item23480a3404&nma=true&si=r1MeZOVQkhCg2XW8tI3Si%252FVBzmk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 got for a friend to use i think the price was good as well ps gunner talked me in to it cant wate to get it

I love mine Razor,

It has paid me back its cost three or four times over. Got a 10.5" concentric for it for xmas and bought a 7" the other day. I hope yours does as well for you, as mine has for me.

Congrats on the Cutlass and have a safe new years,

Lakota

Razor that was a nice buy you got , You know what i found out is the silver hits coins & rings on edge in all metal and i mean it hits them hard, I was impressed by how well it did its a powerful machine

kaolinwasher said:
Razor that was a nice buy you got , You know what i found out is the silver hits coins & rings on edge in all metal and i mean it hits them hard, I was impressed by how well it did its a powerful machine
i think it will be a keeper . my dirt is tuff like yours cant wate to get in the coin garden . thinking i will put the NEL Sharpshooter on first and then a bigger dd coil like sef 10x12 in my dirt a dd is a must have

razerback408 said:
my dirt is tuff like yours cant wate to get in the coin garden . thinking i will put the NEL Sharpshooter on first and then a bigger dd coil like sef 10x12 in my dirt a dd is a must have
What do you mean by your dirt is 'tuff?' Are you referring to a 'tough' density and difficult to dig in, or 'challenging' in the way of iron mineralization? If mineralized, do you know any detector read-outs that suggest the iron mineral ground balance or ground phase of your dirt?

Why not just use the stock 8" Concentric coil?

Why a NEL Sharpshooter coil or why go to a larger SEF 10X12? Have you tried Tesoro's 10X12 DD?

Why is a DD coil a "must-have" in your dirt?

What type of site terrain do you usually search, and what are you typically after?

Are you prepared to tweak the Ground Balance of the Cutlass µ [size=small](micro)[/size] MAX, often necessary for peak performance or to correct falsing from an improper GB in the first place? I know from experience with too many preset Tesoro models that changing search coils, to a Tesoro made or aftermarket coil, usually results in an out-of-balance condition from the preset point.

Monte

Monte said:
razerback408 said:
my dirt is tuff like yours cant wate to get in the coin garden . thinking i will put the NEL Sharpshooter on first and then a bigger dd coil like sef 10x12 in my dirt a dd is a must have
What do you mean by your dirt is 'tuff?' Are you referring to a 'tough' density and difficult to dig in, or 'challenging' in the way of iron mineralization? If mineralized, do you know any detector read-outs that suggest the iron mineral ground balance or ground phase of your dirt?

Why not just use the stock 8" Concentric coil?

Why a NEL Sharpshooter coil or why go to a larger SEF 10X12? Have you tried Tesoro's 10X12 DD?

Why is a DD coil a "must-have" in your dirt?

What type of site terrain do you usually search, and what are you typically after?

Are you prepared to tweak the Ground Balance of the Cutlass µ [size=small](micro)[/size] MAX, often necessary for peak performance or to correct falsing from an improper GB in the first place? I know from experience with too many preset Tesoro models that changing search coils, to a Tesoro made or aftermarket coil, usually results in an out-of-balance condition from the preset point.

Monte
hi monte thanks for the post . 'tough' density and difficult to dig in yes to that and iron mineralization as well .ground phase on the gamma 6000 i think was in the 70s the g2 i had about the same . the Vaquero i had was the best as for as depth with the 8x9 coil the Outlaw a very close as well . 8" Concentric coil will be used tesoro Epsilon Coils don't offer a 5x10 so the nel 5.5x9.5 will half to do i by from kellyco and did not see the 10x12 tesoro epsilon coil on thir web page they do have the sef coil i have used the coil on ourther detectors and like them thats just me . with out ground balance i will get better depth with the dd coil . parks i coin and jewelry hunt /lake hunt its very rocky i coin and jewelry hunt / old house sites i relic hunt

Rasorback, i just ordered the sharpshooter DD I have proven that the DD will go further down with a cleaner signal in my ground but i am still amazed at how good the 8" does as well . I had the Gold bug 19khz and it read 86 on it meter for mineralization that in the upland sand , the bottom land that floods is mild I like to read soil surveys as they tell you lots about the soil , but the river bottom hear is eather mild sand or very nasty mineralized gravel the gravel is the home of sevens Mirage P,I which with its 10" coil is so nice cuts right thru it .

kaolinwasher said:
Rasorback, i just ordered the sharpshooter DD I have proven that the DD will go further down with a cleaner signal in my ground but i am still amazed at how good the 8" does as well . I had the Gold bug 19khz and it read 86 on it meter for mineralization that in the upland sand , the bottom land that floods is mild I like to read soil surveys as they tell you lots about the soil , but the river bottom hear is eather mild sand or very nasty mineralized gravel the gravel is the home of sevens Mirage P,I which with its 10" coil is so nice cuts right thru it .
my main detector is a garrett gti 2500 and in all metal its very deep plus all the bells and wisels in disk . sharpshooter DD will be a fun coil and should give the same depth or better than the 8" coil

I have the 10x12 dd tesoro coil and find it doesnt get any better depth than the 8" coil on my Silver. I would like to try the NEL sharp shooter but I am saving all my cash for a new detector. One day perhaps.

machine man I found to the same thing not much better depth than the 8" using the 10x12

machineman said:
I have the 10x12 dd tesoro coil ...
I have one also ... FOR SALE

machineman said:
... and find it doesnt get any better depth than the 8" coil on my Silver.
Not needed for what I use a Tesoro for, and it doesn't do much better than an 8" on my Bandido II µMAX or Outlaw, when comparing depth of detection.

machineman said:
I would like to try the NEL sharp shooter but I am saving all my cash for a new detector. One day perhaps.
A terrific idea! Save to invest in a amore versatile detector for your needs. :thumbup: I rely on owning, and using, 'versatile' detectors, and usually with smaller-than-stock search coils. I do one own detector, and have another coming soon, that I will rely on for hunting more open plowed fields and open spaces with. Larger coils will be used then, even Double-D [size=small](yes, Monte said that because there can be a time and place for things)[/size], but smaller-than-stock coils are what I need for the trashier and brushier sites I usually hunt.

Monte

razerback408 said:
kaolinwasher said:
i think it will be a keeper . my dirt is tuff like yours cant wate to get in the coin garden . thinking i will put the NEL Sharpshooter on first and then a bigger dd coil like sef 10x12 in my dirt a dd is a must have

razer,the Cutlass UMax is a sweat coin and jewelry getter.at 12 krz not like the Cutlass 2 UMax which operartes at 10 krz.The Cutlass UMax is basically a compadre that you can change the coil on.So why would you want to rune it with a big coil,.I would go with the stock 8" or the 6".You said that you have a gti 2500
so use that for more depth or get a Tesoro with manual gb to handle the bad stuff and use the Cutlass for smaller jewelry and rings and a quick target recovery that that is what it was made for not depth.:stars:

The Double-D configuration is designed to significantly reduce ground interference and, thereby, recover the performance lost by a concentric coil over mineralized soil. With the Double-D, it is the arrangement of the TX and RX coils that produce a canceling effect of ground signals.

This configuration is called DD because both TX and RX coils are in the shape of a "D". The positive detection field of the DD runs beneath the overlapping center section from front-to-back. The remaining portion of the coil actually produces negative (i.e. canceling) detection fields. It is this canceling field that allows the DD coil to maintain performance over mineralized ground.

Because of its small positive detection field, the DD is inherently less sensitive than a concentric searchcoil of the same size, over non-mineralized ground. The Double-D will, however, significantly outperform the concentric coil over mineralized ground. For this reason, it is highly recommended when hunting over mineralized ground commonly found when prospecting and relic hunting.
pulltaber said:
razerback408 said:
kaolinwasher said:

razer,the Cutlass UMax is a sweat coin and jewelry getter.at 12 krz not like the Cutlass 2 UMax which operartes at 10 krz.The Cutlass UMax is basically a compadre that you can change the coil on.So why would you want to rune it with a big coil,.I would go with the stock 8" or the 6".You said that you have a gti 2500
so use that for more depth or get a Tesoro with manual gb to handle the bad stuff and use the Cutlass for smaller jewelry and rings and a quick target recovery that that is what it was made for not depth.:stars:
well like i sed i got it for a friend to use but you know how we are i will be useing it as well and i want to try the nel 5.5x9.5 coil i like dd coils right or rong i like thim . i just got today from ups a nel sharp and a garrett 8.5x11 dd coil for the gti 2500 . now i have a nickel a dime a quarter at 6" and the gti will not hit the coins at all in dis with the 9.5 or 12.5 Imaging search coil .all metal yes like a hammer . the nel sharp will not eather but the garrett 8.5x11 dd will hit the nickel and quarter and tryes to get the dime at full sence . now you might say thats just the gti 2500 NO its not the MINELAB QUATTRO i had with the 11" dd coil had to have the sence turned way up to hit the coins if it was on auto it would not hit on the coins at 6" same way with the ganna 6000 the g2 fisher 1270 . what did the best was the Vaquero with the 8x9 coil super tuned in disk its the best hands down but it cant tuch the gti 2500 in all metal o and the gti will id in all metal . now with that sed no one and i mean no one will tell me that a dd coil will not do better in mineralized rock . boy i feal better now :rofl:

razerback408 said:
The Double-D configuration is designed to significantly reduce ground interference and, thereby, recover the performance lost by a concentric coil over mineralized soil. With the Double-D, it is the arrangement of the TX and RX coils that produce a canceling effect of ground signals.

This configuration is called DD because both TX and RX coils are in the shape of a "D". The positive detection field of the DD runs beneath the overlapping center section from front-to-back. The remaining portion of the coil actually produces negative (i.e. canceling) detection fields. It is this canceling field that allows the DD coil to maintain performance over mineralized ground.

Because of its small positive detection field, the DD is inherently less sensitive than a concentric searchcoil of the same size, over non-mineralized ground. The Double-D will, however, significantly outperform the concentric coil over mineralized ground. For this reason, it is highly recommended when hunting over mineralized ground commonly found when prospecting and relic hunting.
pulltaber said:
razerback408 said:
kaolinwasher said:

well like i sed i got it for a friend to use but you know how we are i will be useing it as well and i want to try the nel 5.5x9.5 coil i like dd coils right or rong i like thim . i just got today from ups a nel sharp and a garrett 8.5x11 dd coil for the gti 2500 . now i have a nickel a dime a quarter at 6" and the gti will not hit the coins at all in dis with the 9.5 or 12.5 Imaging search coil .all metal yes like a hammer . the nel sharp will not eather but the garrett 8.5x11 dd will hit the nickel and quarter and tryes to get the dime at full sence . now you might say thats just the gti 2500 NO its not the MINELAB QUATTRO i had with the 11" dd coil had to have the sence turned way up to hit the coins if it was on auto it would not hit on the coins at 6" same way with the ganna 6000 the g2 fisher 1270 . what did the best was the Vaquero with the 8x9 coil super tuned in disk its the best hands down but it cant tuch the gti 2500 in all metal o and the gti will id in all metal . now with that sed no one and i mean no one will tell me that a dd coil will not do better in mineralized rock . boy i feal better now :rofl:
o yea and take this as well :rofl: http://www.hollandsbrook.com/blog/dd-coil-vs-concentric/ DD & Concentric Square Off

Concentric coils tend to dominate the market whereas mono, imaging and 2-box coils are typical found in specialty detectors. Concentric coils come standard on popular models such as the Garrett ACE 250 and Fisher F2. DD coils come standard on some newer models such as the Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350 and Fisher F4.

Here are some of the benefits a DD coil has over the traditional concentric coils:

Better performance in areas with highly mineralized soil and ground interference.
Superior target ID separation by nature of the narrow magnetic field generated by the DD coil. Target ID separation refers to a coil’s ability to distinguish between a good target when it is buried close to another bad target (ie a silver quarter buried next to a pull tab. Without solid target ID, this would be a bad target not worthy of digging and we’d never recover the silver quarter!).
More precise pinpointing accuracy as a result of the overlapping “hotspot”’
Enhanced depth in mineralized soil

DD Coil vs concentric detection fieldsThe photo to the right illustrates the different detection fields generated by the DD vs concentric coils. Notice the narrow green field depicted in the front view of this image. This represents the positive detection field of the DD configuration with the remaining coil diameter utilizing a negative detection field that provides cancelation of ground signals. The yellow, cone-shaped field depicts the detection field found in concentric coils. The field is much larger which makes it far inferior to the DD coil for target ID separation.

It is important to note that when comparing the depth of DD vs concentric coils that are the same size in ground that is NOT mineralized, the concentric coil will perform better because of it’s larger search field. The larger search field provides more sensitivity, which provides greater depth.

Because concentric coils will gain better depth from a comparably-sized DD coil, DD coils are typically built to be larger overall to make up the difference (ie 7×11″ coils).

Don't sell the Cutlass uMax short with the factory 8", Finally ( a while back ) got access to a football field in another town and all I had with me at the time was the Cutlass with the 8" brown and along the 50 yard line gave up a 1950 Ben Franklin half at an easy 9", she was a clear, soft and repeatable signal.. Of course with her sense in the red, #2 on the disc, With a slab of silver that size.... Yeah those don't happen everyday I'm sad to report.

Normally I am with Pulltaber in my uses for her, Don't think she wont hunt though, silver coins on average are at the 7" mark for me give or take a little. and the Cutlass with the 8" is all I have had for finding them.

Drowned the 8" though, had my inlaws get me a used 10.5" concentric and bought a 7" concentric from Pulltaber ( got it today in the mail, Thanks again Pull ) and I'm crossing my fingers that no adjustments will be needed, nevertheless though I know I will be adding another 5 pin tesoro to the line up before long with GB. Also may be sending Monte a question or two about his fixed GB uMax adjusting for a new coil :)

Just I long winded thought, Hope everyone had a great new years,

Lakota

i give up i cant fix stupid what part of mineralized soil do you not understand http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1966689,1966812#msg-1966812

Lakota said:
Don't sell the Cutlass uMax short with the factory 8", Finally ( a while back ) got access to a football field in another town and all I had with me at the time was the Cutlass with the 8" brown and along the 50 yard line gave up a 1950 Ben Franklin half at an easy 9", she was a clear, soft and repeatable signal.. Of course with her sense in the red, #2 on the disc, With a slab of silver that size.... Yeah those don't happen everyday I'm sad to report.

Normally I am with Pulltaber in my uses for her, Don't think she wont hunt though, silver coins on average are at the 7" mark for me give or take a little. and the Cutlass with the 8" is all I have had for finding them.

Drowned the 8" though, had my inlaws get me a used 10.5" concentric and bought a 7" concentric from Pulltaber ( got it today in the mail, Thanks again Pull ) and I'm crossing my fingers that no adjustments will be needed, nevertheless though I know I will be adding another 5 pin tesoro to the line up before long with GB. Also may be sending Monte a question or two about his fixed GB uMax adjusting for a new coil :)

Lakota
what do you mean his fixed GB uMax adjusting for a new coil ?

razerback408 said:
Lakota said:

Lakota
what do you mean his fixed GB uMax adjusting for a new coil ?
ok monte jump in

Lakota said:

Lakota
Ben Franklin half at an easy 9" in my dirt you wont

beam he up scoty ther is no etelligent life down heer