Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My nickel testing and results

Elmy

In doing some research and testing I have found something that may interest some people.
While testing a nickel, I have found the the same nickel will produce a larger
target area or pattern on hotter days than colder ones....Or halo as some call it.
This nickel was not disturbed, moved or altered during these tests. Lower conductors seem to be
affected more than higher conductors as the same test with a clad dime changed little,
but all coins id numbers seem to change in warmer temps with my methods of testing.

Lower conductive coins need a larger pattern than higher conductors to achieve successful
hunts. This would explain the coin id of nickels and indian head pennies spanning across many
numbers...co of 9 to 17 or more for nickels and 30 to 38 for indian head pennies while a clad dime
can usually be detected with a co of 42 to 46.

So yes, you will dig more trash, but if you want to get your target you would have to dig more numbers.

Tests done with an etrac.

This is not just air testing coins...it is my observations and results from extensive testing.
nickel 2 warm.jpg
nickel 1 cold.jpg

warmer temps pic vrs colder temps pic

AMAZING WHAT A DIFFERENCE OF ONLY ONE DAY CAN DO TO A SIGNALS TARGET ID (TWO DAYS TESTING ON COIN ID NUMBERS)

Suspect that that might be true no matter detector brand?? I’ve not tried that test but could explain why I hit a nickel alert one day and when trying to relocate it the next couple of days I was then unable to do so. ?????

Suspect that that might be true no matter detector brand?? I’ve not tried that test but could explain why I hit a nickel alert one day and when trying to relocate it the next couple of days I was then unable to do so. ?????
Possibly.....
I am just telling others what I think is good to know stuff...and offer suggestions as to why one day good...next day where did it go?
I posted before on the separation quality of the 12 x 10 sef in dry conditions ...maybe a coil of this caliber can isolate the target to locate that repeatable solid sound on these targets you mentioned ?

Last edited:
Im using the 12x10 SEF on the F75 and you’ve said “telling others what I think is good to know” is good stuff to sip coffee over at 0dark thirty in the morning!!

Im using the 12x10 SEF on the F75 and you’ve said “telling others what I think is good to know” is good stuff to sip coffee over at 0dark thirty in the morning!!
I remember you having trouble with the coil hardware , but didn't know if you were using that coil or not....what do you think of it ?

So far it seems to have a wider detection area under the coil. I am locating targets rather quickly but nothing yet deeper than what the 11”DD factory coil does. A majority of the targets I’ve ever located are 8” or less. One small problem I have experienced is in pinpointing. One would assume geometric center of the coil would be the sweet spot (as in the 11”DD) but this coil seems to be a bit rearward and to the left. I simply learned to adjust my focal point from coil to ground.
By the way the manufacturer sent me two bolts, a short one that fits near perfectly and one long one which the diameter of the bolt is too big to fit thru the factory ears.