Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Observations of Update 2.0.1 and Iron Bias F2 at Daytona Beach

ColonelDan

Below are my observations of the Equinox update 2.0.1 with concentration on Iron Bias F2 when used on Daytona Beach. Emphasis is on “MY” observations. These are mine and mine alone. You’re observations could very well differ depending on your beach...they’re all somewhat unique.

The beach I hunted was at the Bahama House Hotel in Daytona Beach Shores. The conditions were sanded in but I did hit it at low tide. I can’t speak to or test in an environment that some characterize as a “bed of nails” since we don’t really see such conditions on our beaches. The junk we routinely have that causes detector problems is bottle caps from a variety of manufacturers, pull tabs, can slaw and aluminum foil with a few tent stakes thrown in now and again.

Primarily I wanted to observe the 2.0.1/F2 function based on detected targets found at an actual beach using various 2.0/F2 settings vs the 1.7.5 FE iron bias function. You’ll not find any “scientific data” here as these are just my subjective observations….as was always the objective.

Bottom Line Up Front: As fully expected, update 2.0.1 F2 is better at identifying various forms of “junk” alloy than 1.7.5 FE in this beach environment.

Observations:

1. The signals I got from a variety of bottle caps not surprisingly differed depending on the metallurgical composition. Not all bottle caps are the same although they ring up as junk if they aren’t 100% aluminum. Some have more aluminum than others while others have more ferrous material. Success in identifying those signals ranged from “no doubt junk” to “no doubt good targets.” The all aluminum twist off caps for example still ring up solidly as good targets...same with the ever present pull tab but I have to dig them or risk missing out on gold.

2. I once again confirmed the importance of properly “dialing in” the settings appropriate to the environment. The relationship between sensitivity, recovery speed and F2 made a big difference. I found that a lower sensitivity (13-1:geek: was best when paired with a recovery speed of around 3-4 and an F2 setting of between 5-7. Those were the “sweet spots” for me that day at that beach. Anything lower on the F2 scale than 5 the more the targets sounded like “dig me” targets. Anything above 7 and I sensed a potential masking issue. Again, just what I saw that day in an environment that had significant EMI I might add. The sweet spots will differ when EMI is not as much of a problem. The takeaway however remains...”dial it in” regardless and you’re detecting life will be much improved over the FE settings on the same targets.

3. I didn’t detect any caps in the surf so my testing was limited to the wet and dry areas. I did try my test sticks again as well and they confirmed what I was finding in the “real world.” “Dial me in Colonel and you’ll be rewarded.”

4. Not many targets that day but I did find a productive coin line...which even yielded an English 20 pence coin.

Conclusion: I’ll use F2 with a high degree of confidence and be diligent to “dial it in” after noise canceling based on the local conditions.

Any additional thoughts from your beach experience is highly encouraged and most welcome.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Hi Colonel Dan, forgive my ignorance as I have only had my equinox 600 for 3 weeks. By F2 is that mean iron? I know how to adjust my sensitivity but I don't know how to adjust recovery speed. I found my beer top caps to ring high around 17 plus. Just wondering how I adjust my settings to knock those out. Dug lots yesterday.

Dwayne2010 said:
Hi Colonel Dan, forgive my ignorance as I have only had my equinox 600 for 3 weeks. By F2 is that mean iron? I know how to adjust my sensitivity but I don't know how to adjust recovery speed. I found my beer top caps to ring high around 17 plus. Just wondering how I adjust my settings to knock those out. Dug lots yesterday.

Check out these Minelab Tutorials:

Recovery Speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6qJ77I77CQ&list=PLpymZHu8sv5nwrk34ID53OxszE8fjuDFC&index=23

Iron Bias F2 is the new updated version of the Iron Bias function: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpCMyvN66qo

I found it important to adjust then sensitivity, F2 setting and recovery to the environment for best results.

Good luck....

I think you are right on the money with your conclusions. Today there were not many targets on the beach but I did hear the iron grunt along with a sweeter signal (using colonel Dan's 3 tone). Three times I heard two seperate tones one iron grunt and one higher or sweeter. Ech time I dug a coin (one lincoln and two canadian). It also did that on a piece of lead sheet that was roughly oval lor coin shaped maybe.

I am extremely pleased and Col Dan is correct you have to tweak it for you, your targets and your conditions.

Thanks!