Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My phrase to keep kids away and it always works.:super:

asiandigger

Ever since I started detecting 7/28/13, I had kids followed me around sometimes and it's really annoying. I remember 1 time this kid was following me around and asking me if he can hold on to my clad I found and couple dollars later he wouldn't give it back to me. So now when a kid or kids following me around I use this phrase and it works all the time...

How old are you/you guys?[b They usually answer 12, 14, etc. Then, I would say do you see that coil or round thing at the end of my machine, it's got radiations, you/ you kids are still growing you don't want to grow and extra ear, noise or fingers right so I can't have you or you guys follow me...I'm a grown up so I'm not growing anymore so it won't affect me That's all it takes they will leave you alone. I thought I share this....what's you guys phrase like to hear others.

Or...you could tell them you found a brand new Gameboy over under the monkey bars and kicked some chips back over it!:rofl:
Mud

Very funny!

One way to move the ankle bitters:surprised::rofl:

good idea!!..and if they doubt your word tell them that the radiation will ruin a smart phone.

Thats a good one jughed! :clapping:

"Stay back! The electrons coming out of this thing will ruin your smartphone, delete your Facebook page, and sign you up for a Manpower Job!":rofl: that should get them running!
Mud

I typically tackle and follow children on the beach, sometimes too .... buff and frankly a child does not bother me but when you take 5 or 6 is a nightmare. I usually tell them they can have a cramp and that's why I wear gloves and rubber slippers. Then I invite you to approach more notice until electricity and usually tend to give back.
On another occasion I asked in a voice of ogre - what happens? -
one of the children answered shakily me - we're only watching -. I was so unfortunate that I said Oh, well, you can look, but with the voice of ogre. Then they ran :rofl:

My Mother in law has the voice of an Ogre!

Makes me think...Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone? The Mother in Law is one old bird, and the kids are a bunch of young chirping sparrows!:shrug: I'll take my Mother In Law to the beach, have her chase away the kids, and then leave her there?:rofl: Perfect solution!:clapping:
Mud

Geez! Don't you guys remember when you were kids?? Any time a kid communicates with you, you have an opportunity to make a difference in their lives. How about being serious, take a few minutes and teach them the right way to metal detect so's we don't have so many dufus's not filling their holes?!!

The kids that seem genuinely interested in detecting I have no problem taking the time to explain or answer any questions. Its the ones who keep asking if they can have everything before I even get it out of the ground, or one kept saying he needed to use my detector and literally tried grabbing it when I would set it down to dig a plug. He was at least 8 so knew better, but was super annoying. I finally said you know over "there" (point far away) say man I was finding a bunch of good stuff but never made it back over there and they usually head right over there and start digging. If that doesnt work I just keep going and pretend they arent there for a bit. Sounds mean I guess but thats not every kid I encounter. Just the especially annoying ones.....

Personally, I enjoy having kids around. Like adults, the vast majority respond positively to outgoing friendly people. The others I can identify pretty quickly and deal with them appropriately.

From a non-altruistic standpoint, everyone I talk to while detecting is a potential source for detecting opportunities.

Thanks for all the feed backs, I posted this because there was in incident here where some kids were following a MD guy around. When he pulled out his digger to dig a target one kid thought that the guy was going to use the digger on him ( frighten he went home and told his parents, police were called, the MD guy was almost charge with assault). I know not all kids are like this, some are very nice and interested in our hobby but just be cautious it's the kids words against yours if they choose to accuse you of anything... be safe out there fellow MDs.

I just show them my trash and corroded zinc pennies and they look for more exciting things to do. I never carry my digger around kids and just use my screwdriver and probe to recover targets. If I feel the need to dig a plug, I come back later when there are not many people around. I welcome the chance to show other people how to use the detector and how I recover my targets, but unless I feel I can trust them, they don't touch my detector. People who appear to be under the influence and just wanting to hassle somebody don't get much attention from me except to go to another location where I don't have to endure their presence.

Man I definitely don't hunt around any kids. Too easy for someone to get the wrong idea. Than the rest of your day gets jammed up. When I hunt schools, it's early on no school days. Bad weather even better. Between what's happening on the news these days it's just not worth it.

I always have kids and parents approach me when I am hunting. I usually keep a handfull of penney's and some toy cars that I find in my pouch to hand out with parents permission. If I think the kids are polite, and there is only one or two of them, I usually show them how the detector finds stuff and give them the first coin I find. I then tell them they should go talk their parents into get them a detector. Hopefully they can clean out all the zinc penneys for me.

togamac said:
Geez! Don't you guys remember when you were kids?? Any time a kid communicates with you, you have an opportunity to make a difference in their lives. How about being serious, take a few minutes and teach them the right way to metal detect so's we don't have so many dufus's not filling their holes?!!

In my first meeting with the kids directed me to them with kind words and responded to their questions. I even gave them several toys that had PICKED. Well, they went and filled the stretch of beach in the sheet that was beer and soda .... angels :ranting:
On other occasions I have been asked to education and apologizing and I've always answered even more than you asked, but everyone does not have that education, unfortunately.
if the language is not a wall to me, they would give more explanations and stories, many very funny
senda

tell um ur searching the area for unexploded hand grenades/bombs !!!!!:pinnochio kids are great but can be trying sometimes