Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Review of the 06" coil

jimzilla

Well I picked up my 6" coil last week and was able to get out a day to hunt with it. I was hunting an old park where most of the older targets were 6-8" down. The coil performed awesome in the trashy areas with great separation and decent depth. I was able to pick up indians 6-7" with no problem. To me it seems just like the stock coil but only smaller. Sort of a "minnie me" of the stock coil. The coil makes you hunt much slower which I am a big fan of. I go super slow to with my stock coil so this 6" makes me go to a crawl. The only issue I have with it is for the price, there are not many places to use it. My stock coil has great separation to begin with. Also if I am hunting a trashy area, eventually I will get to all of the signals so I wont need to pick through the trash to get the good stuff. I may consider selling the 6" for lack of places that qualify for using it.

Well i would never get rid of mine but all i hunt is trash and the stock coil dose real good for a pizza plate coil in trash but the 6 is just a killer for me easier to analyze signals in a cluster of junk and i did dig 2 Indians at 9 inches so it's no slouch in the depth department.

jimzilla said:
I may consider selling the 6" for lack of places that qualify for using it.

jimzilla - I liken the CTX 06 to a M-60 MG. It is nothing more than a 23lb. hunting rifle until you need - then it is light as a feather.

I would hold on to it for a bit beacuse once you get to a spot where you must have it and don't, you will wish you did.

I got my 6 inch coil 2 weeks ago. You are right when you say you have to sloooooooooow down. I did some surface tests with a target. If you don't overlap the ground, you can easily miss numerous targets. BTW, I just bought a lower shaft so that I have a quick change when I need to go to the 6 inch. It is a pain in the butt taking off those screws. :ranting:

DigaDiga said:
I just bought a lower shaft so that I have a quick change when I need to go to the 6 inch.

I bought a lower shaft for both the 6 and 17" coils. Makes changing them in the field effortless.

That lower shaft is expensive though.

I purchased the coil because of an old park I hunt that is very trashy. One area that I have pulled seated coins out of is loaded with trash. Thinking there was much more in this area I purchased the 6" coil. I went back and found absolutely NOTHING. My opinion at this point, if you hunt slow with your stock coil you won't miss much if anything at all. I will probably keep mine but your stock coil going slow is all most will need.

crazyzook said:
I purchased the coil because of an old park I hunt that is very trashy. One area that I have pulled seated coins out of is loaded with trash. Thinking there was much more in this area I purchased the 6" coil. I went back and found absolutely NOTHING. My opinion at this point, if you hunt slow with your stock coil you won't miss much if anything at all. I will probably keep mine but your stock coil going slow is all most will need.

Did you try hunting that area with another type of profile? Since I do not know which profile you use, you should try high trash if you havn't or 50CO/ferrous coin or ground coin. Some profiles I've found find things you miss with others.

TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
crazyzook said:

Did you try hunting that area with another type of profile? Since I do not know which profile you use, you should try high trash if you havn't or 50CO/ferrous coin or ground coin. Some profiles I've found find things you miss with others.

Thanks for the advice, I usually hunt combined, ferrous coin and go over the area again in ground coin.

Np. I've started hunting in 50CO/Ferrous-Coin, Pitch hold. I go slower and overlap my swings, and the pitch hold helps me hear something I might have swung too fast to hear. Haven't posted it yet, but I got a nice 3 penny coin spill on Sunday in the rain. A 1922 George V, 1919S Wheat Cent and a 1906 Indian Head Penny.

I have been using my 6" coil for a few weeks now. I love it. I put my stock coil back on and it felt wrong, almost clumsy. I think I'm gonna put the 6" back on and just use the stock for the beach.

TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Np. I've started hunting in 50CO/Ferrous-Coin, Pitch hold. I go slower and overlap my swings, and the pitch hold helps me hear something I might have swung too fast to hear. Haven't posted it yet, but I got a nice 3 penny coin spill on Sunday in the rain. A 1922 George V, 1919S Wheat Cent and a 1906 Indian Head Penny.

The problem with Pitch Hold is that it constantly changes the pitch of the threshold. In a trashy park I think that would be an issue since you would constantly be changing thresholds. I dont think there is a need for PH since even the deep targets come in loud. Unless of course you have hearing problems then it may help.