Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

my safari is a good nail finder,but that's it!!!

bigdad75

Ive been out with my used safari about 5 times the past week i just received it,and it seems like I'm only finding rusty nails some 10" deep ,nothing else,I'm using all the stock programs,then i started accepting just 15-18,32-38,Ive lowered sensitivity, whats the deal,i have the stock 11",i did order a 8x6,my areas are trashy,WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??i feel like i only have a nail finder

Hello bigdad75, I own an Quattro which is just about the same as the Sarari and a Explorer SE pro. Here is what I notice about the FBS machines that if you pass your coil over a piece of iron or a rusted nail and if the coil does't squarely go right over the iron or rusted nail you can get a good coin signal sound, Meaning that the edge of the coil will hit part of the iron object. What I do is pinpoint and then pass my coil right over where I pinpointed and if I don't get the same coin signal sound then it is a nail or a piece of iron, if you get a coin signal sound it is then a coin or some other nonferrous object. I will also turn 90 degrees repinpoint it and test it from different angles just to make sure. Nothing is perfect I do get fooled from time to time, especially with bent rusted nails. I also hunt in heavey iron and trash myself and at times it can be difficult to hunt especially with a large coil, I think you made good move by buying a smaller coil. I have found a lot of older coins in my iron infested sights with my 6 inch coil. I would also purchase the Andy's Quattro/Safari handbook, it has a lot of good information in it. If you are going to use the cherry picking program I would accept 13-15 and 31-39 and notched everything else out. Most of the time I hunt with all the negative numbers and 40 notched out. HH

John

BigDad,

I've been using a Safari since they first came out and have never even heard of a problem such as you describe. I think your machine malfunctioning.

All the advice that John4840 gave you is good. I pinpoint my target then go back and pass directly over it to get a reading. This gives a better ID and almost always a more accurate depth reading.

You should contact your most local Minelab repair station.

When I 1st started using my Safari a few months back I dug quite a few nails hehe. You need to have several hours on the machine before you start to learn what its telling you. I dont think your machine is defective. You program seems set up correct except I would open up 39 as well or you might miss silvers. If you listen to you threshold you will hear it null out most of the time on a nail just before you get a reading. The threshold hum is you friend!...on a coin you will get solid signals when you pass your coil directly over it in multiple directions. On a nail this is not the case....The readings and sounds will be more sporadic and usually wont repeat from different direction. I have many hours on my Safari and still get fooled from time to time on nails, especially if they are deep, sometimes they sound and read like a deep silver.

If you are confused on an iffy target you can also switch to all metal mode. In this mode there will be no confusion if you have a nail or not. A nail 95% of the time will give a low tone.

The Safari is an awesome machine which can detect almost anything in the ground except plastic, paper and wood!!! The secret is to be patient and to be willing to learn what the sounds are telling you and how the settings should be set in the different terrains where you want to go. There are lots of resources and great tips out there on the internet and m.d. books but the best teacher is yourself as long as you are willing to learn.
The proof is in the pudding and I have found that out over and over again as I have found many gold and silver rings, coins and jewellry over the years with my Safari!......be patient and keep on learning and swinging!!

BD75, when you go out today, bring along different denominations of coins that you've collected over the years, including both silver and clad. Toss 'em on the ground close and also spread out, so that you hear and see various tid that is being analyzed in each of the four factory search modes. You'll learn to hear differences between each coin and it's composition. You may also try holding down the on button and resetting the unit,perhaps that'll help, too.

strange day,the detector would keep giving me tones reading 34-38 and all i would dig were nails,so then i buried some coins,clad and silver 4"-6",ran the coil over them had good tone no numbers??? i was in coin all rejected but 13-15,31-39,it would hit the coins every time just no numbers,you would not believe how many targets i passed up ,i thought it was just a lot of trash,so then i went to relic ,and then i got tone and numbers most 34-36 ,kinda strange i think!!!do i just hold the power button to reset the machine??i don't know how much they would charge to look at this machine but i just put out $600.for it this month,but i do think somethings not right with it,what do you guys think software problem??

bigdad75 said:
strange day,the detector would keep giving me tones reading 34-38 and all i would dig were nails,so then i buried some coins,clad and silver 4"-6",ran the coil over them had good tone no numbers??? i was in coin all rejected but 13-15,31-39,it would hit the coins every time just no numbers,you would not believe how many targets i passed up ,i thought it was just a lot of trash,so then i went to relic ,and then i got tone and numbers most 34-36 ,kinda strange i think!!!do i just hold the power button to reset the machine??i don't know how much they would charge to look at this machine but i just put out $600.for it this month,but i do think somethings not right with it,what do you guys think software problem??

Yes do a reset on the machine. Just hold the power button, when you turn on the machine, for a few seconds. The detector will let you know that it has reset. I would recommend that you crossave to relic or all metal mode and run it without coin and trash icons while being in conductive sounds.

John

i received my 8x6 coil and figured id try it out,digging nails again i was hoping the coil would change things but didn't,to day i went to my daughters, about 6 months ago my son in law lost his wedding band so i figured id try to find it he told me he lost it playing with the dog in the far side of the property and of course there are power lines running over that side of the property i thought i would never find it,i started off and the detector was pretty quiet i had a lot of good readings 6" 34-38 repeatable but didn't want to dig up the yard yet i just wanted to find the ring,then i got a 10-12 wasn't going to dig but it said 1" so i figured id give it a shot and there was the ring 18k large band,it was getting late so i dug one target 34 @6" and it was a 1899 IH usually there all crusty green but this one looked nice,so I'm wondering if these other property's are just way to trashy.but the safari acted like a different machine today and ill have to go back and dig those other targets when I'm alone because if they turn out to be silver im not giving those away!!

BD75,congrats on finding your s-i-l's wedding band. he must've been extremely happy. I'd say finding the ring gives you carte blache to hunt the rest of the property !
IH cents usually ring in at 32-24,so that's a good indicator your machine is working properly. If you archive / search this forum for tid numbers/values, you'll find many ppl have posted what coins and jewelry recovered were tid'd at time of recovery.

bigdad75 said:
i received my 8x6 coil and figured id try it out,digging nails again i was hoping the coil would change things but didn't,to day i went to my daughters, about 6 months ago my son in law lost his wedding band so i figured id try to find it he told me he lost it playing with the dog in the far side of the property and of course there are power lines running over that side of the property i thought i would never find it,i started off and the detector was pretty quiet i had a lot of good readings 6" 34-38 repeatable but didn't want to dig up the yard yet i just wanted to find the ring,then i got a 10-12 wasn't going to dig but it said 1" so i figured id give it a shot and there was the ring 18k large band,it was getting late so i dug one target 34 @6" and it was a 1899 IH usually there all crusty green but this one looked nice,so I'm wondering if these other property's are just way to trashy.but the safari acted like a different machine today and ill have to go back and dig those other targets when I'm alone because if they turn out to be silver im not giving those away!!

Nice going!!:clapping: It just takes time to get use to the machine, I would not give up on those trashy areas because thay can be hiding some great stuff. Just about every area I hunt has iron junk and nails, it just takes time to learn what is a good signal and what is not. Thank you for the update and HH.

John

You need run 6X8 a little higher on sensitivity in manual to get full potential.Leave the 6X8 on and the Safari will be much better machine for you pinpointing will be much easier.I t will be easier to learn not how to dig those bigger square nails also.

If you are consistently detecting trashy areas, the smaller the better!!!! do yourself a favor and get yourself a 6" EXcelerator EQ2 Pro search coil. When I'm not on a beach detecting (which I do 95% of the time), I hit the local parks and other sites and I use it to navigate my way around unwanted junk that you always find at those sites. The small coil will do an excellent job in separating iron and junk from the coins and rings hiding in the ground and also pinpointing is much easier with this smaller coil. It's well worth the investment and you'll find it a joy to use!.......NO MORE NAILS!!!!!!!:clapping: