Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Safari was showing off yesterday...

Happa54

Yes, he was like Pacman gobbling up all the wheaties.

I spent 10 hours at a heavily hunted out park in Los Angeles yesterday.

I planned on spending about 4 hours but my Safari kept hitting on coins so I had to keep up with it.

Every tone was ignored and ONLY dug from copper on up. No matter how tempting the other tones sounded, I stayed committed to my strategy and it paid off.

I ended up with 24 wheaties, 1919 Merc, 1946 Rosie and a .925 Silver ring.

Stayed away from re-landscaped or infilled areas and basically worked around extremely hard dirt that had not been touched in decades.

The dirt was so hard that I could have used a hand pik axe but my Lesche hand digger was put to work.

My back and hands took a beating and I could barely drive home comfortably.

Just when you think an old pounded out park is a waste of time..... think outside the box.

Holy crap! You've got you a Spot there! WTG.

Happa54....Congrats on the silver!!:thumbup:
Not so long ago, silver coins and rings were plentiful and a ton of them have been posted on the forums over the past years, but now silver in any form whether it be coins or rings are very scarce even on the beach's!!....so congrats on finding some!!
I'm heading off to detect the beach's (North of San Diego) for a few days as of this Friday so I really, really!! hope to get some jewelry that has hopefully been dropped from the tail end of the Summer season here. Kids are back in school and so the beach's aren't as crowded but the SoCal beach's attract people from all over the world year round so here's hoping for some gold and silver finds!:clapping: I hope you also have lot's of success where you decide to detect:thumbup:

Yes, I've heard about better days GS, but unfortunately I came into this hobby late in life.

Honestly, I would still be doing this whether for Silver or not. If I knew that wheat backs were the only thing in the ground, I'd still go for it as I am quite fond of these coins.

I've gotten a handful of silver since I started this hobby 9 months ago only because I've done my homework.

I have a growing collection of wheat backs, a few awesome relics, foreign coins, jewelry, tokens, odd metals, etc.

I believe that if it weren't for my research using current and historical maps, I wouldn't be as successful with my finds.

I'm not into this for clad finds. History is what it's all about for me but you have to be dilligent and DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

There are times out in the field when I get frustrated with myself for not having enough information on a certain area... thus, I spend a lot of time researching.

The one down side to metal detecting is that what we take from the ground does not replenish itself. Once taken, gone forever...thus the constant search and research for new territory.

Successful metal detecting is hard work but the rewards will pay off in the long run.

Happa54 said:
Yes, I've heard about better days GS, but unfortunately I came into this hobby late in life.

Honestly, I would still be doing this whether for Silver or not. If I knew that wheat backs were the only thing in the ground, I'd still go for it as I am quite fond of these coins.

I've gotten a handful of silver since I started this hobby 9 months ago only because I've done my homework.

I have a growing collection of wheat backs, a few awesome relics, foreign coins, jewelry, tokens, odd metals, etc.

I believe that if it weren't for my research using current and historical maps, I wouldn't be as successful with my finds.

I'm not into this for clad finds. History is what it's all about for me but you have to be dilligent and DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

There are times out in the field when I get frustrated with myself for not having enough information on a certain area... thus, I spend a lot of time researching.

The one down side to metal detecting is that what we take from the ground does not replenish itself. Once taken, gone forever...thus the constant search and research for new territory.

Successful metal detecting is hard work but the rewards will pay off in the long run.

Thanks for sharing those thoughts. Although there are fewer silver coins that are within reach of most metal detectors, I'm sure there are still silver coins in the parks and other places we go to. It's a matter of doing your homework, slowing down, patience and knowing the capabilities (and tones) of your detector. I also still enjoy getting out and getting fresh air and exercise and finding gold and silver coins and jewelry are the icing on the cake!. There is nothing like being alone on a beach, early in the morning before the sun comes up metal detecting, or detecting while watching the sun setting at the beach (with a gold ring or 2 in your pocket)!!!

You are right about tones GS.

As I get to know my Safari better through constant use, I dig less because my ears are acclimating to the sounds of various targets.

Many of the tones that fool us are counter productive with our time...so have to educate the ears.

One day I'm gonna hunt the beaches in your neck of the woods and learn how to hunt the jewelry.... provided you haven't sucked it all up.

I used to be an avid surf fisherman so I know the feeling of being on the sand before dawn. Those were the most tranquil times in my life.

I look forward to seeing all of your gold pics when you get back from Diego.

HH

That soil out there can be like cement! Man, my hat is off to you for doing what you accomplished.
You are to be commended! Wow! Your finds are fantastic too!

When I was out in California on business, I'd go to the beaches and all the retired folks would have their campers there and would be out on the beach taking out the jewelry before the beach scraper would start. Tough competition!
I hope you do well!

Happa54 said:

Yes, research is where it's at. My friend wanted to detect a park. So I got looking at some historical maps and noticed that in the 1800's that that park was a field where people could travel from one part of town to the other.
So I looked on the map and figured out the most likely route people would take. I was dead on. That was the only productive part of that park for old and very deep coins. And it was only about 20 feet wide. Outside that path . . . nothing but modern clad.

Thank you for your kind words Tony. I appreciate it.

For the most part, I hunt solo and I thank the stars for this forum as a place where we can share our experiences. Depending on how much time you spend at metal detecting, it can somewhat isolate you.

And you got it right. I look for paths, trails, sidewalks and old structures on my maps. Most of the time you will see the same foot paths from old to the current maps... depending on which maps you are using.

I am constantly scanning maps and looking at old photos of Los Angeles and suburbs. It gives me direction and a game plan for going out. I couldn't go out there and hunt on the fly.

Almost all of those coins I dug were several feet of the paths, walkways and entry ways. Once off the beaten path and into the wide spaces of the park, it was clad and all the other stuff we normally run into.

The strategy that day was different from my norm but I stuck to it and it turned out to be an extremely productive day considering the age and location of the park.

In addition to scanning the maps, research the stories behind your target area or park as they give off clues to a particular activity, etc.

For me it's all about history and others may have more productive ways of finding their treasures. After all, I'm still pretty much a newbie at this.