Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Sov setup and let me know what you guys think of how i fixed the defective bbs coil wire

z8chase

let me know what you guys think...the bbs pics are actually my first go round with this coil...i got to looking at it and knew i could do better.
as many of you may know...there was a time when some of the bbs coils had some bad rubber coating and it cracked and split and crumbled....i guess it was a defect because after some extensive reading i found out that minelab a
had actually tried another company on what wire they used for their cable coils
well after reviewing my first try i decided to do it again...
first i clipped the original coil cable down to 2 inches above the grommett that screwes into the top of the coil and trimmed the coating back and got another soft rubber cable...(ive got a couple hundred feet of this cable with 4 colors and a bare unshielded wire)...(black, white, red, yellow< and uncoated) i eliminated the uncoated and color coded the other 4 wires and soldered them....isolating each wire with rubber epoxy....then slid a 4 inch clear rubber sleave down over the entire splice and epoxied that with clear epoxy....then sealed the entire thing with black rubber epoxy and made it fully water proof like the original (but in my opinion stronger....not to mention a new cable that wont come apart)
i took it out and tried it and got great depth and tone like its supposed to...and seems like i may even have a little more depth than the original....the clarity is much better..(im assuming due to the guage of wires being a little different)...then submersed the entire coil and cable in a bucket of water and left it for 20 minues...no leaks and everything totally came up dry

That looks real good z8, you saved a coil and looks like it will serve you many more years.....:thumbup:

Good job!. Looks like you took every precaution needed.