Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

my sovereign remote pinpoint

z8chase

decided to add a remote pinpoint switch to my sovereign xs-2
ive seen alot of people that have hardwired these into their unit but i didnt want it like that.
i wanted it modded so that if i dont want the switch anymore all i have to do is unplug it from the unit and take off the handle cap with the switch and all together...(have a spare cap as well that doesnt have a hole in it and all i have to do is slide it onto the handle)
also i used a toggle instead of a pushbutton because i have a habit of laying my thumb on the top of the handle and id always be activating the switch.
the way mine is setup i leave the disc/all metal switch into the all metal position....my remote switch is marked with the position toward me for disc....and away from me for all metals.....that way as the weight of the detector is pulling on the handle downward i rest my thum by the switch and i know its in disc because the weight has allowed my thumb to pull the switch toward me....that also means that to pinpoint i manually have to push the switch to activate pinpoint.....its kind of a no fault setup for me..(or thats my dislexic way of thinking anyway)
used a 3/8 headphone female jack from an old cb radio external speaker jack inside the unit....and a 3/8 male plug from an old set of mono headphones because i didnt want to take the extra time to ohm out the wires and stereo has the 4 wires and mono has only the 2....so practically a no brainer for simple minds like methe plugger shaft handle is plugged at the bottom of the handle because of the mounting hardware that mounts it to the shaft so i had to go down to just above the plug and drill a small hole to be able to bring the wire from the cap down inside the handle and come out at the bottom....(didnt want a wire outside the handle to look bad and also would have rubbed blisters on my hand) slid the cap/switch onto the handle and slid the foam back over the handle and the wire comes out just under the bottom of the foam.
wrapped my excess wire up the shaft and taped it good and left just enough on the plug end to plug into the female jack in the unit.
works awesome.
but for now im gonna leave the toggle until i get myself out of the habit of laying my thumb on the cap...then ill replace the toggle with a non clicking pushbutton

I like it a great op when using the sovereign...:thumbup:

I also got tired of reaching behind my elbow to switch between discriminate and all metal on my Sov XS-2 Pro. The balance was MUCH better after changing to a Plugger straight rod, but I missed the easy access to the pinpoint toggle switch. Finding an old camera shutter switch cable, I simply wrapped the end with "Stretch 'n Seal" tape I got from Home Depot. This tape is very stretchy and is a better choice than electric tape.

It is a bit shorter than ideal.. I'd rather have it on the grip, but the button end is at my forearm which isn't so bad. No electric connections needed. No holes drilled. KISS principle in effect. I've used it on two hunts with no problem. BTW, that's Shoe Goop around the toggle switch to keep out sand. When I first applied it, I had thought it would remain flexible and had a bit of worry when I discovered it had hardend tight around the toggle Ha! I carefully managed to free it up without snapping it off LOL!
5f8v.jpg
y16n.jpg

pwrg.jpg
5mjc.jpg