Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

my thoughts about adding GPS to a metal detector....

ralphiejc

I see in todays fast moving electronics world that all the `Toys`are morphing into the same item that does everything.The cell phone for example which primary use was for talking has many more uses and the least used feature is verbal communication(the original purpose)...The Gray Ghost headphones now have one that incorporates Bluetooth which I feel it wouldn't be long before the detector manufacturers start adding it to the detectors.I just don`t want to see company s loosing site of the original purpose of the detector.When I'm out with my detector I want to concentrate on what I'm there for without distractions.I don't want it to answer my phone,text me,tell me where I parked my car or give me the news and weather.I just want to see the efforts put into the best possible DETECTOR they can produce.I feel that the addition of the GPS feature(even though it does have its purpose in some occasions) has just opened the door for all the others manufactures to race each other to see who can add more `bells and whistles` before the other.Hope this doesn't happen..Ralph

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I always, up until this year had a flip phone. Never thought I would own an iphone.
Guess what, I got an Iphone now. Result, I spend about 75% less time sitting in my chair doing what a 64 year old retiree does,
(learn things) and now use that time (doing things). Why, because if I have a question about something, I don't have to TRY to
remember to look it up on the computer when I get home but rather, pull out my iphone and do it right then. Saves me a lot of
time. I just got through doing research on nickels and where they are hitting on my 3030. Turns out, my tone id box was too big.
Result, I narrowed my id box down by 3 numbers and will be digging less trash. Tool I used. You got it, XChange2.

It's an easy choice for everyone. Everyone who owns a CTX3030 doesn't use the GPS. Don't like it, Don't use it.

I'm guessing that you weren't a long time E-Trac user. We used to have almost regular threads asking what would we as users like to see changed. The most common responses were, better target ID, better depth, A GPS, a clock, better ergonomics....

Minelab was listening and gave us what we were asking for! Well, they gave everything except lighter weight and less $$$. Just because you chose not to use the GPS doesn't make it a useless addition, nor does it detract from the purpose of being a great metal detector. The GPS isn't adding to the cost of the machine either. GPS receivers are one tiny chip which are included almost every cellphone made today.

It's just one feature out of many. Maybe some people will never get their detector wet and feel the gaskets are a waste. Some may never use any hunting but one, so all those others are just a waste. Personally, I like options. I like the GPS and I have used it to find a lot of coins I may never have found otherwise.

I understand your point Ralph, but, it's simply a matter of personal choice.

Lets face it, VLF detector technology has pretty much reached it's limits years ago. I speak of the basic ability of a detector to emit an electromagnetic signal into the ground, and receive a response identifying a buried metalic object as being there.

The things you refer to as "distractions" and "bells and whistles" are to many, including me, simply additional tools.

Those tools take the form of better visual and tone ID, better ground balance and EMI protection, discrimination options, more comfortable ergonomics, the ability to customize to suit the operator, and yes, GPS among others.

In the meantime, the choice comes down to the individual, as to what "tools" they want in their toolbox. There is a lot of choices out there.

Sometimes those tools simply make the experience more interesting and enjoyable, as well as being useful.

I can understand what you're getting at. Before buying my CTX I questioned whether I needed GPS on my machine, in fact I thought it was completely useless since I had an iPhone etc. Once I made the leap I found this feature to be extremely useful, now if Minelab would just get their heads out of the sand and make Exchange Mac compatible:)

With the inclusion of GPS to the CTX I don't think they neglected other components of the machine such as its recovery speed, target ID, ability to work through iron better etc. GPS wasn't completely necessary and brings the price up but I can't imagine it being that much cheaper without it. Just my opinion but I'm sure glad to have it built in. As long as performance doesn't suffer I'm OK with it.

During development of the sheetx I was dead against gps
It added 1 year and 400 cash money to its introduction and cost to buy
It was to sell for around 1649.00 .......

But now that it's out you'd have to admit it's a piece of work and of value to many
So I was wrong.
But I still wouldn't pay the exorbitant price to buy it.
Lots of great machines available for a lot less, and lots of "Garmin's" to choose from.

You know, I think there are a lot of people who REALLY don't know how the GPS ties in with this detector.
They really don't know why it's put there. Man, I can look at my Xchange2 on 7 sites I am working and I
can see developments in where more silver is located, where more gold rings and necklaces were found,
and that tells me where I need to be looking at other sites I haven't worked hard enough yet. Actually I am
seeing a trend or direction I need to be going in regards to a site where I have found a little civil war relics.
Garmins don't cover that in their handbook

Shhhhhh you're giving up our secrets Ha Ha.

Yup absolutely, you nailed it. It's not there to tell you how to get to the closest grocery store it's got a purpose but you also need to be hunting in locations where it will be useful. Trends in areas you're hunting and locations of finds is a spot on example of one use.

I wish there was a way to directly post pics on this forum. I have told this story before, but it works much better with pics. I got permission to hunt a ghost town that is now a farm field. No visual references out here, just miles of flat farm field. Anyway, I hunted this field many times and never found anything but trash. I just wandered around randomly hunting spots. Then I got my CTX and went back again and my buddy found some bag seals. I marked them. Then we started hitting Indian Heads. Everything was GPS marked. Looking at them on the map, trends started appearing. I was only able to get back to those hot spots because I had a GPS marker to follow. Then a silver dime appeared. But wait, where in a giant empty field was that only silver coin? Thats right, the CTX walked me right back to it and we found more. and we found quarters and the most commons coins were Barbers. My buddy dug THE key date of barber dimes. And then I found some more in another spot. But looking at the map all those finds were in a straight line. Guess where I went back to? Yep, I worked the ends of that line in both directions. The farthest find so far was an 1800s gold signet ring. I have most of those hunts on youtube.

So, hundreds of IHs and dozens of Barber coins, and lots of relics later.... nobody can convince me that the GPS feature isn't a valuable tool. Every time I see people commenting how its not something they ever use, I just keep thinking, you have no idea what you could be missing.

Jason in Enid said:
Every time I see people commenting how its not something they ever use, I just keep thinking, you have no idea what you could be missing.

Some people refuse to learn or question what they already 'know'.

Personally, I never thought I would use the GPS, but since using it, I have yet to have the plot match where I thought the hottest part of the trend was. Information/knowledge is power.

Jason in Enid said:
I wish there was a way to directly post pics on this forum. I have told this story before, but it works much better with pics. I got permission to hunt a ghost town that is now a farm field. No visual references out here, just miles of flat farm field. Anyway, I hunted this field many times and never found anything but trash. I just wandered around randomly hunting spots. Then I got my CTX and went back again and my buddy found some bag seals. I marked them. Then we started hitting Indian Heads. Everything was GPS marked. Looking at them on the map, trends started appearing. I was only able to get back to those hot spots because I had a GPS marker to follow. Then a silver dime appeared. But wait, where in a giant empty field was that only silver coin? Thats right, the CTX walked me right back to it and we found more. and we found quarters and the most commons coins were Barbers. My buddy dug THE key date of barber dimes. And then I found some more in another spot. But looking at the map all those finds were in a straight line. Guess where I went back to? Yep, I worked the ends of that line in both directions. The farthest find so far was an 1800s gold signet ring. I have most of those hunts on youtube.

So, hundreds of IHs and dozens of Barber coins, and lots of relics later.... nobody can convince me that the GPS feature isn't a valuable tool. Every time I see people commenting how its not something they ever use, I just keep thinking, you have no idea what you could be missing.

HOW MUCH MORE EVIDENCE DOES IT TAKE. YOU EITHER KEEP UP OR YOU GET LEFT BEHIND.
TAKE IT FROM A REDNECK OLD MAN (AND PROUD OF IT). I HAVE A HAY DAY ON HUNTED OUT PARKS:clapping:

Well, here's one perspective . . . . . .

The GPS function on the CTX 3030 works as other can attest to; however, as we all know, electronics progress is measured in months rather than years. The electronics in the CTX 3030 is 2011 vintage and while there is nothing wrong with what was available then, the GPS function in most phones today takes position location and tracking to the next level.

Handheld units such as the Delorme, Garmin and others allow you to download detailed maps - topos, aerials, contours, etc. - and zoom in to extreme levels. They are not tied to a specific detector and most of us have more than one so you can simply hang it around your neck or stick it in your pocket regardless of what machine you are swinging. The map interface for most handheld units and even smart phones is also a step above Google Earth. Depending on the area I've been in, I am not able to zoom in close enough with the XChange2 application. Yes, there have been hacks posted but that's an awful lot of work to get the same data you can get from your phone. There are several good applications for phones that allow you to record locations of finds, snap a photo of the find and trace your hunt both in the field and at home.

Another plus with one of the handheld units is that you can program a path into a possible site form home and transfer the path to the unit . . drive to it from your home even if it is 100's of miles away. The CTX 3030 is limited to the range on which it starts tracking and directing.

The one "bugger" with the CTX's function is that you really need to have a notebook with you to jot down what FIND001, FIND002, FIND003, etc. are by the end of a long day.

GPS is a tool that is invaluable for detectorists but there are other options out there that work better than trying to use the blank white screen of the CTX 3030. Again, one opinion on how I use GPS in the field but if it is available, by all means use it if it brings home the finds

Andy Sabisch

Andy ,

maybe this part of the CTX3030 that you mention as being:

"The one "bugger" with the CTX's function is that you really need to have a notebook with you to jot down what FIND001, FIND002, FIND003, etc. are by the end of a long day."

requires another software update, that Minelab could consider that lets one enter while detecting and on the fly when creating a FindPoint by way of pushing a button/s
that tie a relevant icon for say a coin (coin icon) that allows text input such as CN (coin) or LTR (lead toy relic) for defining what any FIND--- is when required.

I usually just take a picture of whatever I find when I use FindPoint and rely on the order of the picture taken to coincide with the numerical order of the FIND-- through EXchange2.

Serves my purpose well.

David di

Yes, I agree the integration is far from "ideal" but I still find it highly useful, even if I have to write each find point to correlate later.

I have a wonderful Garmin mapping GPS and I've had it since 2007. Despite the fact that it far surpasses what the CTX can do, I have never carried it in the field. The option with it is to burn a set of batteries every day by leaving it on constantly while I hunt, or I have to turn it on each time I want to mark a spot and sit and wait for it to get a satellite lock. It's also one more thing to carry around and one more set of batteries to replace (and carry spares).

I'm already carrying the detector, large and small digging tools, pinpointer (and spare battery), one or two video cameras (and batteries), cellphone, plus extra coils and often water and TP. I don't really need one more thing to carry around. As for the cellphone GPS, they stop working when you can't get a cell tower signal. When you go hunting in the boonies, you need a true satellite GPS, which the CTX does have.

Andy Sabisch said:
Well, here's one perspective . . . . . .

The GPS function on the CTX 3030 works as other can attest to; however, as we all know, electronics progress is measured in months rather than years. The electronics in the CTX 3030 is 2011 vintage and while there is nothing wrong with what was available then, the GPS function in most phones today takes position location and tracking to the next level.

Handheld units such as the Delorme, Garmin and others allow you to download detailed maps - topos, aerials, contours, etc. - and zoom in to extreme levels. They are not tied to a specific detector and most of us have more than one so you can simply hang it around your neck or stick it in your pocket regardless of what machine you are swinging. The map interface for most handheld units and even smart phones is also a step above Google Earth. Depending on the area I've been in, I am not able to zoom in close enough with the XChange2 application. Yes, there have been hacks posted but that's an awful lot of work to get the same data you can get from your phone. There are several good applications for phones that allow you to record locations of finds, snap a photo of the find and trace your hunt both in the field and at home.

Another plus with one of the handheld units is that you can program a path into a possible site form home and transfer the path to the unit . . drive to it from your home even if it is 100's of miles away. The CTX 3030 is limited to the range on which it starts tracking and directing.

Andy, While your perspective is very applicable, here is what I do WITH MY I PHONE:

I use this in my notes section of my iphone:

1-N that means find point 1 is a nickel
2-RING find point 2 is a ring and I take a picture of it right then
Your response fortifies what we are all saying. Do what works for you in a way you can use it and in a way that applies to your methods of recording and tracking your finds.
It still boils down to the perspective of what ever detector you decide on, learn it, stick with it, but don't "classify" good technology as useless. Otherwise, you gonna have
some dude following you around picking up the good stuff.

I always find it interesting that we all do things differently, yet still seem to find good stuff and be happy about it.

Keep those ideas coming folks; I hope to learn something from each of you. There is no single way to do anything and I am always looking to improve my technique.

If the CTX 4040 or whatever the next version is does not have GPS, I won't be buying one. I have been able to locate concentrations of "goodies" much easier with the onboard GPS and associated software than I was ever able to do with a handheld unit. By the way, you can turn it off if you don't want to take advantage of its benefits. I don't care what other bells and whistles they add to a detector, as long as they allow me to turn the features off if they are of no real benefit to me while hunting. (The pad and pen does get old though)
HH
Joe

Keep the comments and ideas coming. The pad and pen idea would be much better than what I am currently doing which is using MeMoRY! Yeah, trying to memorize over one hundred finds from many different locations and their exact spots can be a real teaser. Especially if you are trying to add all of them to the Xchange2 application much later say like three or four months later. :nerd: Reason why is because I know I can do it and procrastinate until it piles up.

The GPS feature does lack accuracy over half the time when it comes down to feet. I can go in on the Xchange2 application to try and fine-tune a FP to see it is usually nine through twenty feet away from where it was really found. I have read somewhere that is a common thing with satellite data and accuracy due to laws mandated by the government for security purposes. With all that said, I have to say even though the technology is outdated, It can still be very useful in helping zone in to areas of interests or to just look over your metal detecting history. Get a little creative and it can be used for other helpful reasons too.