Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Turn With the Equinox 800

CZconnoisseur

Hi all,

Haven't posted in a long time but the short of it is...I'm back to swinging and digging again! Recently picked up an Equinox 800 and UPS delivered just in the nick of time before we left for vacation in Memphis.

We spent 6 days there and I detected three of those days due to rain and other engagements. The first day Dad and I hit the old fairgrounds site and 10 minutes into the hunt I would dig my first coin with the detector...a 1921 Wheat! It was about 4 inches deep but there were plenty of nails nearby...so much, in fact, that I thought there were more coins there trying to squeak through the iron, but alas twas only iron falsing for that hole

After the fairgrounds we spotted a recently renovated house nearby and decided to search the dirt clods in the front yard. Dad found two Wheats right off the bat and I only found clad at that place. A very unusual find was a nice piece of (probably Arkansas) quartz jutting out of the mud....couldn't hardly believe it at the time! The Equinox is good but no, it won't find crystalline material! :lol:

Last Thursday the weather cleared out and I had some time to kill before meeting everyone for dinner. I walked one block from where I dug a beautiful 1917 SLQ last year and decided to pick through some curb strips...turns out that was exactly the right decision! I stayed in Park1 and notched everything below "10" and dug everything else. First coin was a 1926 Wheat that indicated 19-20 and was about 4" deep. I would go on to dig 13 Wheats mostly out of the 1910s and 1920s along this strip, and managed to corner an 1898 Barber dime as well around the 5" mark....it indicated 26-29 and was a little bouncy but not bad. Both Rosies were similar depth, about 4-5 inches and the VDI was 25-30 and bouncy. I don't seem to be able to determine a clad dime vs a silver dime, although some people say that Minelab detectors are able to distinguish between the two (to be fair I have 12 hours' experience total with this machine)

Good Friday found me one block away from the previous curb strip where the first coin was a 1907 Indian at only 2" deep! These liked to hit around 18-19, maybe bouncing as high as 21 sometimes depending on the direction. No silver on that trip but I have no qualms about digging 12 pre-1930s coins that day!

My settings aren't much removed from the Park1 factory settings, only thing I changed was actually dropping the Sensitivity a little due to EMI. None of the coins were deeper than 6" or so, and I guess those strips have never been hunted *hint hint Beephead* :lol:

Tonight I'm changing the setting somewhat and going after the 9" plus deep coins at one of the local parks. Now that I know a $5.00 gold coin rings in at 17-18 I will be on the prowl for those, no doubt. Oh, and silver is nice too! :yes:

Super nice finds and write up.

Very nice keep it up

Welcome back and thanks for the post and pics. Still getting acquainted with my own 800 so it is helpful to read how others are setting up their machines and their impression during the hunt.

Rich

Yes, excellent report. Congrats!

Congrats on the old coins and silver, and good luck hitting older parks going after gold coin's! You're always doing well getting silver hopefully a gold coin surfaces for you now that you know what to look for.

Congratulations!
Paul