Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Waterproof Minelab Explorer II

Well here it is folks...finally finished my waterproof Minelab Explorer II. First, for those that are asking why did I even do this? Well, I did this for two reasons. One, I love the Explorer and second, I did this for fun.

As you can see the design was modeled after the one made by Charles from upstate NY with a few changes. The head unit was removed and fitted into a custom 3/4" Plexiglas frame. Then the front and back were made by vacuum forming plastic from custom molds. The front plastic cover is flexible which allows me to still use the buttons. It was mounted to an "S" shaft with a custom grip, battery pod (3 cell lipo in a waterproof tube), custom stand, waterproof headphone jack and an arm cuff made by Plugger. The original Minelab upper and lower shafts were used with a "splice" tube mounted below which allows me to change coils and currently has an 8x6 SEF coil attached. Hope you like it. For more specific details, parts list, frame templates and direct video link, just send me a PM. Thanks.

Have seen a few interesting mods been done to a Exploder11 over the years but that is without doubt the nicest one that i have seen,that is pure quality and alot of thought has gone into it.

Real nice piece of work :thumbup:

I remember the one by Charles from upstate NY. yours is every bit has nice. That case is super. That's the one thing I never could make, the case. He did his with NC machine if I remember.

I remember Charles, And that one is As nice if not better. Really like it, lots of nice details you have done...

Mega B said:
Have seen a few interesting mods been done to a Exploder11 over the years but that is without doubt the nicest one that i have seen,that is pure quality and alot of thought has gone into it.

Real nice piece of work :thumbup:

I'll second that!!
EXCELLENT WORK!!!

Thanks guys...it took a while to do, certainly a winter project to figure out everything from the beginning,But I had it all mapped out in my head. The current frame is version two as the first one was CNC'd out of aluminum but was later changed then I cut it out plexiglas instead for less weight. It may not be as "precision" as the one by Charles but its close. With the templates I made anyone can do it with a band saw and dremel tool. It may take a while but its fun and now Im off to the beach....

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
I dub this modified Explorer 'Charles Approved!' nicely done there Saltshaker!

Thank you Charles!!!...your incredible design has been the inspiration for me and many others.

OK - now that's taking it to the next level!

Awsome!

GraveDiggerMax-VaBch-Va said:
find some fine tickets now

Thanks...she's "down for the count" right now...currently being upgraded.

Saltshaker said:
GraveDiggerMax-VaBch-Va said:
find some fine tickets now

Thanks...she's "down for the count" right now...currently being upgraded.

how was it during testing?...it didn't flood did it?!? btw, that is one of the nicest waterproofing jobs I've seen yet...kudos!

The best water proofing and professional looking mods i've seen yet.
Did you check for leaks with a dunk test?

Those ATPros have nothing over your Explorer now.

icurabeachguy said:
how was it during testing?...it didn't flood did it?!? btw, that is one of the nicest waterproofing jobs I've seen yet...kudos!

Thanks.. it was very water tight. I did several tests prior to final assembly. Had an issue with the coil wire which I figured out but while doing final testing, it all of a sudden developed a power issue. So Im putting a newer SE into it. Should have that done this weekend.

ironsight said:
The best water proofing and professional looking mods i've seen yet.
Did you check for leaks with a dunk test?

Those ATPros have nothing over your Explorer now.

Thanks. Yes it was checked on several dunk tests. It failed the first time with the original gaskets I had but without RTV, then passed with RTV. Didnt like that so I got different gasket material. That passed great without RTV, so I used that material instead.
The AT Pro is still a fine machine so I keep that now as my backup which I am using at the moment while I upgrade this unit to an SE.

Give us your SE upgrade results when you get done.

All done...Now upgraded to an SE.

dude, you are talented. I'm wanting to send you my Safari.