Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mystery signal

Scooter23

I’m still getting to know this new machine. Last night I was practicing with it in the yard and hit a spot that rang a deep, repeatable 38-39. It would only ring one direction if I rotated and checked at 90*. Dug and dug down more than a foot, but never found it. Even the pinpointer came up empty. Mosquitoes were starting to swarm so I surrendered and refilled. I did find some old nails adjacent, but even after cleaning them out I could still get that signal. Toggled between Park and Field settings with same result. Kind of deflating. Am i just misinterpreting? Also found this unknown last night. TIA for your replies

Attachments

• 047295A6-8600-4161-A515-56A88BD406F8.jpeg
    047295A6-8600-4161-A515-56A88BD406F8.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 650A036E-1133-4C1A-BC9D-F372D990DC2F.jpeg
    650A036E-1133-4C1A-BC9D-F372D990DC2F.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 102
We all go through this. 38-39 in my yard is a piece of aluminum like flashing. But I found that with pinpoint on, I can hear and see the size and shape of an object. Sweep across it while moving in one direction until is goes silent then turn 90 and do it again. I can tell a beer can or spike or bolt like this unless there are nails or iron around it. You might just need to keep removing iron to clean up the target. So if it is large, prob flashing. Also if you pinpointed a small size object, dug deep and did not find it it is really a large and deep target. The NOX is calibrated to a coin size object. Something deep looks smaller to it. Like something we see far away. Or the target is in the side wall of the hole. SS washers are the worst because the size in pinpoint shows up as a coin and it rings loud.

Or try this. Lift coil. If you still hear it at six or eight inches above the ground it's usually something big.

Not sure what you found but looks almost like a crescent wrench with one jaw broken off. But then the worm gear should be there so thats not it. A mystery. HH

Last edited:
We all go through this. 38-39 in my yard is a piece of aluminum like flashing. But I found that with pinpoint on, I can hear and see the size and shape of an object. Sweep across it while moving in one direction until is goes silent then turn 90 and do it again. I can tell a beer can or spike or bolt like this unless there are nails or iron around it. You might just need to keep removing iron to clean up the target. So if it is large, prob flashing. Also if you pinpointed a small size object, dug deep and did not find it it is really a large and deep target. The NOX is calibrated to a coin size object. Something deep looks smaller to it. Like something we see far away. Or the target is in the side wall of the hole. SS washers are the worst because the size in pinpoint shows up as a coin and it rings loud.

Or try this. Lift coil. If you still hear it at six or eight inches above the ground it's usually something big.

Not sure what you found but looks almost like a crescent wrench with one jaw broken off. But then the worm gear should be there so thats not it. A mystery. HH
Thanks for all the good input. Stuff like this is why I’m big into beep-dig style

After some time you will be able to dechiper a good deep signal from deep trash.
Generally if I dig a target that is something good like a coin, I can find it pretty quick....if it is trash, usually it is hard to find like you are experiencing.
That high reading you got along with it not repeating is a sign of trash.
Like Florida son mentioned above, lifting the coil above the target several inches helps to size the target up too.

Sounds like iron “spiking”
Coins introduce themselves much more gently.