Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nail board test???

Anyone ever try this? My etrac seems to fail miserably even using the 6X8 sef coil.

http://ahrps.org/tipsandtechniques.php

I haven't tried the test but it looks pretty difficult. How about your sweep speed? Try barely creeping the coil, sometimes I may barely even wiggle it from different angles to sorta "develop" a poor iffy audio into something that prompts me to take a chance and dig. Sometimes the poor iffy audio never develops with my angular prodding and I keep moving. Interesting though.

Well I did some further testing and now I'm confused. The first test I did was using my 5" excelerator coil and using TTF. I could only get the grunt of iron with no higher tone at all in any direction at any sweep speed. I switched to Andy Sabischs coin program and could get a high coin tone in all directions. This has me wondering if the only advantage of using TTF is my brain having to deal with 2 tones as opposed to multiple tones and am I missing coins by using TTF?

The etrac processor is definately not the fastest on the market by any means, I too have tried the nail board test and to be real honest the only detector I can find so far that can get hits on coins from every angle is the tesoro, it is amazingly fast, so much that it shocks me......

But put me in a yard where coins are deep and I will pick my etrac anyday over any other machine, the trick is going slow and covering a yard in different directions

In yards not very often will you come across areas where there is that many nails around a coin, if you go at the yard at different directions, like I said before your gonna hit 99% of them with your machine, the thing to remember is though when you have iron real close to a coin the numbers will be skewed, but the high tone is still there. That is why I preach the tone is far more superior over the numbers on the screen. People who dig only because of having good numbers showing are missing coins, I can promise you that

The "nail board test" favors the fast processor. I have run this test on many detector, check my videos, and like anything else it all is just a matter of conditions. If there was a single detector that could hit coins in with nails/iron, get deeper than most any other detector and had the most accurate target ID we'd all own the same detector. My DFX can kill the nail board test but can't get even close to the depth on a coin as the E-Trac or hunt and open field for relics like the F75. The right tool for the right job. Can't take a tire off with a screwdriver and you can't remove door hinge with a tire iron. Doesn't make either tool worthless.

Goes4ever said:
the trick is going slow and covering a yard in different directions

In yards not very often will you come across areas where there is that many nails around a coin, if you go at the yard at different directions, like I said before your gonna hit 99% of them with your machine, the thing to remember is though when you have iron real close to a coin the numbers will be skewed, but the high tone is still there. That is why I preach the tone is far more superior over the numbers on the screen. People who dig only because of having good numbers showing are missing coins, I can promise you that

Agreed 100%,

Goes4ever said:
The etrac processor is definately not the fastest on the market by any means, I too have tried the nail board test and to be real honest the only detector I can find so far that can get hits on coins from every angle is the tesoro, it is amazingly fast, so much that it shocks me......

But put me in a yard where coins are deep and I will pick my etrac anyday over any other machine, the trick is going slow and covering a yard in different directions

Maybe there is a problem with my machine then. Using TTF on the nail board test the only tone I get with any of my coils at any angle is the low tone iron grunt. Not even a hint of the non ferrous tone

how fast you swinging? Plus if you re-read my post you see That I say " the only detector I can find so far that can get hits on coins from every angle is the tesoro" I did NOT say the etrac could do it............

Goes4ever said:
how fast you swinging? Plus if you re-read my post you see That I say " the only detector I can find so far that can get hits on coins from every angle is the tesoro" I did NOT say the etrac could do it............
the thing is I get a Good coin tone doing the same test in my coin program in conductive and I get it at all angles. That's what doesn't make sense

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,1979761

Abouot 2/3rd through --checl Philip in NM's post

sprchng said:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,1979761

Abouot 2/3rd through --checl Philip in NM's post

Let me comment here. I tried TTF but did not include it in the report because it did not fit the parameters that Monte had required in his Nail Board Performance Test. As I recall (I foolishly tossed my notes!), I was able to get the coin 8 for 8 with the 4.5x7 and the 6x8 in TTF, but it should be noted that I was moving exceptionally slowly - about the speed I would have been using in some of the more iron-dense areas of the ghost towns I frequently hunt. Also as I recall, I got less than perfect scores with all the other coils I tested. Surprisingly, the 6" coil didn't do anywhere near as well as the coils mentioned above. The stock and the WOT were really disappointing, with the WOT only getting it in one direction.

It actually strengthened my confidence in using TTF in the ghost towns. I would love to try the 6x8 there but the stubble and surface irregularities have been a problem with the open coil design - although, I may have come up with an idea to overcome that problem. :clapping:

I find it strange that we have 3 different etracs and get 3 different results with this test.I would think that if my etrac passed the test using the conductive coin program it would have no problem passing it in ttf

Well I had to try it with the Explorer SE pro,

Coin #1 signaled well enough to cause me (I generally sweep slow) to investigate further from other angles.
Coin #2 nothing

Edit: I changed or tweaked nothing on Explorer, I think I'm mostly the "Bryce" setting.