Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need a little help here with coin grading

Ronstar

Continuation of my friends $20 Double Eagle.

Ever have one of those moments where something you read kicks in a few days later and you go back and read again and realize this may actually be a high value coin? Yup.
Friend has a 1907 (roman numeral) $20 Double Eagle gold coin. This coin has the lettered edge. Lettered edge is only listed in the High Relief description, other wise RedBook lists a wire edge and a flat edge variety. If lettered edge is ONLY in the high relief version then this could very likely be a six digit value rather than a four digit value (I estimate this could be EF 40 or a bit above).
Book doesnt describe how to tell high relief from wire or flat, or am I correct lettered edge is ONLY on the high relief?
Anyone with any experience in understanding grading please help!!!

Attachments

• 39D70A76-C715-4B86-89C7-0FA89E8B7BFB.jpeg
    39D70A76-C715-4B86-89C7-0FA89E8B7BFB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 136
  • 6159C5B3-A539-4D16-A7A4-8570C2F2E1D0.jpeg
    6159C5B3-A539-4D16-A7A4-8570C2F2E1D0.jpeg
    819.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 8B397CFC-903F-4FC7-87DC-542EA3175C92.jpeg
    8B397CFC-903F-4FC7-87DC-542EA3175C92.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136

Ever have one of those moments where something you read kicks in a few days later and you go back and read again and realize this may actually be a high value coin? Yup.
Friend has a 1907 (roman numeral) $20 Double Eagle gold coin. This coin has the lettered edge. Lettered edge is only listed in the High Relief description, other wise RedBook lists a wire edge and a flat edge variety. If lettered edge is ONLY in the high relief version then this could very likely be a six digit value rather than a four digit value (I estimate this could be EF 40 or a bit above).
Book doesnt describe how to tell high relief from wire or flat, or am I correct lettered edge is ONLY on the high relief?
Beautiful keeper.
Wish I could help.
Though if the letters edge is only on the high relief. I'd guess it's the rarer high relief coin.
Now sit down before you fall down. 😁🤗

Now its noted the original 17 or 18 strikes in high relief were done differently in three groups. Stars between the letters, stars between the words, and upside down (letters face up towards the reverse instead of the obverse.
Letters here have star between the words and face up towards the reverse, cant find any reference at all as to whether in the additional 12,3xx coins if they were facing front or back. If like current coins (newer mini dollars) they would face front. Mystery continues……..

Think we have maybe cleared this some….
The ultra high relief version is described as being concave on both sides and this one is not. I can not tho find any info if other coins were struck with the edge letters facing obverse. Oh the misery…….

Howdy Ronstar---
Without having the coin in hand, I would say VF 25 at best. Note the flat spot at the top of the eagle's wing. Another concern that I would have is the number of "hairlines" on both the obverse and the reverse indicating a past cleaning. The rim nicks will hold the grade down too. My advice would be to pop the cash and have it sent to PCGS or NGC for authentication, grading and slabbing. That would put the mystery to rest. Regardless of the grade, that's a beautiful coin! Theodore Roosevelt was bored with the mundane designs of the contemporary coinage and wanted a more artistic representitive of our coinage. Thus, the collaboration with Augustus Saint-Gaudens who also designed the Indian Head $10 gold coin. Both are beautiful coins in my opinion. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Friend has coin back and we found a PCGS dealer/authenticator in Spokane, WA. Looks like next Friday we will go up and discuss the possibility of grading etc. I’ve been to this place once before but didn’t know his qualifications. This will be interesting and I will post the results when we find out. Have to admit this is intriguing…,,,

Friend has coin back and we found a PCGS dealer/authenticator in Spokane, WA. Looks like next Friday we will go up and discuss the possibility of grading etc. I’ve been to this place once before but didn’t know his qualifications. This will be interesting and I will post the results when we find out. Have to admit this is intriguing…,,,
Yes
Definitely getting interesting. 🙂

Howdy Ronstar--
I looked at the picture again and I have a few questions. The blue/white coloration streaks between the folds of Miss Liberty's gown, is that a result of lighting or the photography? I noticed the same occurrence on the tips of the eagles wings and on Miss Liberty's blouse and in her curls. It's probably just the photography but just in case - have you or your friend weighd the coin? Our friends in China have been known to produce excellent counterfit Saint Gaudens $20's. The correct weight should be 33.436 grams. I would weigh it before, if you haven't already, taking the trip to Spokane. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I have semi inexpensive scales that showed a weight of 33.43 so appears good that way, as was measuring the diameter at 34 mm. He knows the history of the coin back to his grandmother giving it to his father (60s) and she got it from her father.
I have been emailing the coin shop in Spokane and they are interested in further looking at the coin in person so we go up Friday the 13th (hopefully not an omen….).
Photo taken with cell phone so who knows what influences affected the picture. We will know more soon and I will post what we find out! Thanks for the interest, its actually pretty nerve racking to wait……

I have semi inexpensive scales that showed a weight of 33.43 so appears good that way, as was measuring the diameter at 34 mm. He knows the history of the coin back to his grandmother giving it to his father (60s) and she got it from her father.
I have been emailing the coin shop in Spokane and they are interested in further looking at the coin in person so we go up Friday the 13th (hopefully not an omen….).
Photo taken with cell phone so who knows what influences affected the picture. We will know more soon and I will post what we find out! Thanks for the interest, its actually pretty nerve racking to wait……
Ronstar--
It's great that your friend has that provanonce on that coin. Take my grading with a lump of salt - I've always been a tough grader. I'd rather UNDERgrade a coin than overgrade one. Even if it comes back with a "details" grade, cleaned or damaged, it's STILL a coin that most collectors only dream about. If you or your friend haven't already, may I suggest checking the PCGS websight regarding tiers of submission so that she is prepared for the costs. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I know that grading can be somewhat subjective and one mans trash is another mans gold. I am not experienced enough to even think of trying to categorize a grade but I know its not badly worn nor is it pristine. I can only look what the book summarizes and place close.
Thankfully this place tomorrow is willing to examine and has some type of machine to verify authenticity (will do at no cost). They will advise him further of what they suggest should be his next step.
Some of the research I’ve tried to do suggests this coin could be one of 12k known minted. We will know tomorrow and thanks for your thoughts!!!