Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need advice on searching inside a museum.

Tagamet

I got a call last week from the exec dir of the local historical society museum. They had just moved a refrigerator to do some restoration work and found a trap door in the floor. There's about a 3 foot crawl space under the existing (newer)kitchen that had originally been outdoors. It's probably 40 feet long by 7 feet wide. It's been "covered" by additions to the original house for tens of decades. I (immediately) went down to the museum to look at it and she then also showed me the basement (half of which still has a the dirt floor. The dirt is pretty much like concrete, but she also showed me where that kitchen crawl space was accessible through a big hole in the wall near the ceiling in the basement. Just inside the entry hole sits the old WELL. Half of it is collapsed, but the other half circle is still upright. These ought to be REALLY interesting to search!
The original building was built ~1800, and had several additions by 1850. It's remained as it was then, ever since. It's been used for everything from a Dr's office, to a tavern, a funeral home - even as a HOME. I have to double check, but either this building or the one next door to it was a pharmacy at one time. I've offered (of course)to try to recover anything I can for the historical society, but I'm curious as to how others would suggest that I go about this search. Basically, the entire area used to be outside the home, but has been covered for tens of decades. The building sits within 40 yards of the Susquehanna river, right where a log boom was used to coral timber and load it onto a lock of Penna Canal. Being so close to the river, the building has survived at least 6 or 7 floods. The basement soil ought to show several layers of sediment.
Thanks in advance,
Tagamet

Obviously shortening your rod may help..My main concern is healthwise..Rodents, spiders, snakes, heck it could collapse and still remember the flood mud of 72 which I understand could cause a health hazard...Wearing heavy gloves and work clothing, using an exhaust fan and having someone in the vicinity at all times is a must..just might wear a surgical mask also...I would think old coins and artifacts could be found, but do be careful as I don't even like hunting cellar holes due to the above..

I was so excited that I had not considered most of these issues - especially the respiration ones. I'll talk to their curator, but I'm not too confident that she's too knowledgeable about the actual gathering of aritfacts. They do have an Archie consultant available through PSU. Maybe I'll get them to give me some guidelines.
Thanks again. You may have saved me from some major health problems.
I'm going to put the actual searching "on hold". My excitement would have had me in the well (literally) tomorrow afternoon (with someone nearby).
Tagamet

Find your local pest control supplier, (ask any exterminator where they buy their supplies), and talk to them about a respirator facemask. They will be familiar with what you will need as they have to be aware of their customer's needs for respirators to stay safe from dried rodent droppings etc, which can be dangerous also. A decent respirator doesn't cost much and will save you a potential long term problem. I am not sure that a cloth mask will be sufficient.

J

Personally I just would not hunt it under the circumstances and you certainly bring up some good points. Heck I even shy away from cellar holes and indeed a surgical mask may not be enough...

wish I had your oppertunity. sounds exciting... You might ask local fire dept. to do an electronic sniff.. it can save your life... gives you the o2, carbon m, carbon d, and other gases you cant see smell or taste in the air.... not enough ox can kill you. If they dont have the sniffer, any local industry, or construction should have one. have fun! Belle