Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need advise on a used excalibur

bsa70

I have a chance at a used excal 10 inch round coil at $200. Its the older blue sticker excal, doa battery, and the on/off pot works but is flakey. It being original model and the pot problem, would you buy it. It works great! We took it out in a field and dug a silver quarter at 6 plus inches.

The big issue I am faced with right off is the battery. This is a back up unit for my friend and he does not have the charging system for it. The special adapter is $75. Would I be better buying the alkaline battery pod and installing rechargeable batteries or having the one that comes with the unit rebuilt at battery plus. Then I still have to fabricate a charging system. I probably can rig up an adapter for it.

Any advise greatly appreciated! Thanks.....

I'd buy it for that price just for the parts. The switch issue can be fixed at the Kellyco service center. It's not that much for the repair. Add a little extra for all new orings. As far as the battery, you can buy a new battery with the charger on the big auction site. (As long as your pod is ok) You will be stuck with getting the charge adapter. Seems to me a lot of guys prefer the old blue's. I had one for a while and loved it. Just picked up another tonight. It will need all new pots. Also have two Excal 2's. For what you'd have in it you could sell it and make money. I'd call Kellyco and get an estimate over the phone. $55 for the Battery with the peak detection charger. Adapter $75.

Yea I'd buy that as well and have it sent it to be tuned up. After those costs you will have a very affordable excal that you can then have mods done to and be in a great position at a very fair price. I'd like to find another for $200 bucks

Get a Battery Tender Jr at Walmart for ~$15. It stops charging when it reaches full capacity unlike the factory charger.
and +1 on buying it for parts at the minimum.

Very good deal! I bought a few like that a couple years ago just for parts. Now even the old broken ones can go for 4oo. on up.

I called Kellyco earlier today about the one I just got. (Traded a like new hip-mount for it). I talked to Marty. Seems like a good guy and knows what he's talking about. To replace all five control pots and all new orings would cost $170.50 plus the return shipping. That to me seems like a good deal considering what a new one costs. The number for the service center is; 1-888-535-5926 ext.121.

The coil, headphones, and board are the real pricy things. Anything else is nickel and dime once its repaired. Kelleyco will give it a good going over and pressure test it....... then you have a new machine and i believe ML policy is 6 months warranty on their repairs. Cant go wrong with those Blues.

Dew

You got a good deal,I agree with Dew,with the nickle and dime parts replaced you'll have one heck of a detector.Good Luck Ron