Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need another detector!

Cedar-Acres

Hello again,

As was predicted a few months ago when I got my V3i, I now find myself in need of a second detector for my 10 year old son. I would like to make this a Christmas present for him so I have a little over a month to find a good deal and it purchased. I really like the V3i although it has a fairly steep learning curve. I am just now getting comfortable with it and usually find a good handful of coins and other stuff with it on each outing. Haven't found any silver yet..... just need to find a good location and get my coil over some.

I am thinking of a used DFX or maybe even a used VX3 if I can find one. I don't have any experience with either of those detectors, just going on what I have read. Does that sound good for a 10 year old or would there be something else that would be better for him to use?

Thanks!

Whites Coinmaster would be a good starter. Has a VDI readout. Simple to use and not heavy at all. If weight isn't an issue you could go with a M6....excellent machine and you can swap coils betwwen the V3i and M6

I would think many would be better for a 10 year old.. Just the size alone would be tough for him to carry and detect with. Not to mention the understanding of a V3i or VX3, or a DFX..
Your call of course.

One of the better choices for a kid of 10 might be a Garrett treasure ace 250 .I know several people with one and they do quite well and they makes some good accessories for them. Whites are great machines but , That little machine is pretty user friendly and shouldnt over whelm the little feller. (That's my Opinion) Good Luck Yazoo

if you want your son to find some good stuff get him a good used xlt, very hard to beat trust me on this one.

I started my 10yr old out on a coin master because if he uses it for a year or so it wasn't that much money. He has the rest of his life to figure out if he wants to buy a better machine. I'll leave that up to him. Meanwhile I can still have fun with the v3i and not get beat up so bad by him lol.....

After getting my V3I I am sold on Whites, however I am just in the process of ordering a Fisher F2 combo kit with 3 coils, pinpointer & carry bag for my wife. According to my dealer (a sponsor on one of the other formus) they are a great easy to learn machine & the entire kit is under $300.00.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback!

I learned on and have only used White's detectors, so I think I want to stay with White's. I feel I will be better able to help him if he has a detector I am somewhat familiar with. From what I am hearing the M6 is probably the way to go.

Thanks for the help!

The White boxes are too heavy for a 10 year old to swing and you'll tear up his shoulder and arm. If you want to stay with Whites, get him one of those Coinmasters or some other mfg's lighter models. Keep the display as that is fun, but the heavy box hanging on your arm will take the fun out in short order.

It's like hunting with them. They like dad's 410 shotgun, but Dad has to carry it while you're walking the birds down because its too heavy for them.

HH
Mike

Ya gotta be careful with the m6 . I have a friend with a m6 and quite often he does better than I do on a site.. The young guy may show you up more than you are comfortable with goldbill

I have a Whites M6 on the way. If he does better than me I will just have to trade him the V3i for the M6, because, you know, it's better!

I think you make a good decision, the M6 is a great no frills serious detector.