Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need cable

Jim in Idaho

Anybody know a source for the cable that Detector Pro uses on their headphones? It's 3 conductor, unshielded, and 4mm +/- on the OD. I bought a Z-Link, and want to make up a short cable to hook the receiver to my DP Nugget Busters. The NB's have a mini XLR jack. I hate to cut up the Nugget Buster factory cable. I've got the connectors, just need the cable. doesn't need to be coiled....it will only end up about 5" long. I can find all sorts of 7mm OD, but no 4mm.
Jim

the age old problem getting 4mm headphone cord, and I say that out of understanding the frustration , try ebay and local stores but you may have to use the shield as the 3rd core.

good luck.

AJ

AAAHHHH...so this is an old, existing problem, huh? Didn't realize that. I appreciate the info, AJ! I took the cable end off my cheapo Whites earphones, and used that. Seems to work fine, but the cord is only 3mm. Actually, with the receiver mounted on the earpiece, the cord is pretty protected, so the smaller size won't matter much.
Jim

that would have been my next suggestion cannibalize an old pair, glad you got it sorted, I need to make a pair also for the detectnix wireless I have and yeah a straight cord is better with the plug in wireless I am sure as it doesn't have to stretch and wont be in my way. just another job on the list :lmfao:

have fun with the wireless.

AJ

I left the 90* 1/4" jack on the end, and had to buy a mini XLR connector to solder on the other end. That was the hardest part....my eyes just don't want to focus that close, and small. Nice thing about the Nugget Buster NDT's is that mini XLR connector. If the wireless fails, I can just plug the factory headphone lead into the headphones and keep on detecting.
I sure wonder why that 4mm 3 conductor cable is so difficult to find????
Jim

no idea on the 4mm cable :biggrin:

yes good idea on the back up plug in cable it would be a good connection too never tried one of those but it would solve any movement issues on standard 1/4" jacks.

yep eyes are not what they used to be :cry:

main thing is your up and running :biggrin: and a little bit wiser :biggrin:

AJ

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-electrical-wire/=179ulxy

Beechnut, I appreciate the info, but none of those cables, in a 3 conductor cable, is 4mm OD. The stretchable might work, but you need ferrules to hold the outer jacket in place, and I don't know if the ferrules would work with the required cable ends.
Jim

Mogami cable makes a three conductor microphone cable that size.
Not sure about minimum quantities. Probably best to buy an XLR microphon
cable at a music store and cut what you need from it