Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Good Allaround Camera

widebody

[size=large]sorta dialing in on the koda zx5 but it doesn't look like it can be tri-pod mounted. i do need a camera that can be mounted on a tri-pod. a slim one, portable, lightweight and around $150.00. want to be able to upload to my computer and download to the forums. very close pictures. showing very close details of rings and coins and such. Need Help. i'm not a camera person. just getting started from the old tech days.

HH[/size]

I'm not a camera person either but I just bought a Kodak Playsport Zx5 2 weeks ago. I paid 99.81 plus tax at the big box membership club (currently a close out item). Here are some thoughts:

It did not work with the 16gb class 6 SD card I bought to use with it. Bought a cheap 4gb class 4 SD card and it works fine with the slower card. I called Kodak and they said I would have to send the camera and SD card to them if I would not work. I verified the 16gb card works in other cameras so it definitely is a Kodak problem. I took camera back to *am's club and swapped it for another...it did the same thing. Decided to keep the 2nd Zx5 since it also worked with the slower class 4 SD card. I would recommend saving some $'s by just using a class 4 SD card to start with.

The Zx5 does have a tripod mount hole on the bottom and I have set mine up as a dash cam and find it does a pretty decent job for the price. The tripod mount hole is not centered on the bottom but that does not affect use when mounted. I believe I used a 1/4" x 20 nylon bolt for mounting but it is the standard small tripod mount threads.

I will be buying a wide angle lens for use on the camera (cost approx. $25). The macro takes real good close-ups but I understand the wide angle lens comes with a macro lens that will even do better. Look up some of Gonehunting's posts in the Garrett's AT forum here or do a youtube search and you will find a video he posted about the Zx5 and some videos he did with it while MD'ing. Also, look in the Digital Imaging classroom forum here for gonehunting's thoughts on the Zx5.

Overall, I would recommend it as a decent, inexpensive camera but don't know if I would spend 150 on it. I like that it is waterproof to 10' but I have not tried it underwater yet. I would not hesitate to use it in the rain and hope to use it this next summer when I do some shallow water MD'ing.

Hope this helps.:shrug:

This model has been discontinued and you might be able to purchase one on eBay at a reasonable price. It is an outstanding point and shoot camera, one that you can take pictures in Auto Mode, or some of the manual modes if you so desire. I use one for close-up pictures of coins, arrowheads...even bug pictures. I have provided a field report link below. Good luck in finding the camera that is right for you. Kelley (Texas) :)

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_a720is