Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Help Identifying Coin :help:

Idaho PRB

First of all, I apologize for not posting much lately. Life got real busy all at once. Some MAJOR changes in my life. Not all bad, but changes no less. I haven't had too much time to detect, between all the other things I'm now responsible for and the weather.
Anyway, I found this unknown coin today at a site where two houses side by side were demolished recently. Thet are now scraping dirt and digging for footings. I have been hitting it when I can and when there is a change in the grading. These are a couple of early 1900's houses and I have detected them to death over the last year or so, off and on. Today, with the 5" Sunray coil I found a 1945 Dog Tag, 1899, 1903 and 1915 Barber Dimes a 1921 Wheaty and this thing. I have never seen any coin like it and couldn't find anything like it on the internet. It's exactly the same size as a Barber Dime. I would appreciate any information you may have to identify it, including a date if possible. I will post pictures tomorrow (If I can steal the time) of the other items I have found recently, including the three silver rings I found a while ago.
Happy Easter Everyone! and thanks in advance.

I could not find an exact match, but I did find a site that had coins with similar symbols. It looks like it came somewhere from the Middle East.

http://www.islamicart.com/main/coins/g_turkey.html

Im 90% sure of the following: Its a turkish coin. the coin images should be rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. the date is in arabic, (the date sits within the "bowl" of the crescent moon.) i can have one of my coworkers translate it. it will be on the islamic calender though. the image on the other face besides the moon/star is the signature of an ancient ottoman ruler. That is what gives the coin its legitimacy. the same way that Lincoln's or Washington's face would give US money legitimacy.

moonshine said:
Im 90% sure of the following: Its a turkish coin. the coin images should be rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise. the date is in arabic, (the date sits within the "bowl" of the crescent moon.) i can have one of my coworkers translate it. it will be on the islamic calender though. the image on the other face besides the moon/star is the signature of an ancient ottoman ruler. That is what gives the coin its legitimacy. the same way that Lincoln's or Washington's face would give US money legitimacy.

Thanks moonshine.
I looked up the arabic numerals and how to translate them to our numeric system and came up with a date of 1877 for the coin. See what your co workers say but I'm pretty sure that is correct.

Update: Turkish 10 Para, circa 1901. Seems to be worth about $3.00. Thanks to all who helped me ID this coin.

This is what my coworker came up with. Year 27 is like "version 27" or the 27th in a series... He is not sure.

Thanks Moonshine!! :thumbup: I appreciate the effort you went to very much. Have a great Day!