Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help IDing old coin, Virginia

Stogger

I obtained permission to metal detect an area in Virginia that was a center of commerce back in the late 1700's and houses still standing from mid to late 1800's. Well I was out there for only an hour and found this old quarter-sized coin that has a lot of inscriptions on the back. I'll try to reduce the picture I took of it under the microscope to 480KB. Can anyone give me a hand in helping to identify it? I'm pretty excited here as this is the first old coin I found by researching first, finding an interesting spot, and obtaining permission!

What I could make out:

On the back:

"The last Cooreuhat" ??

Soldier of ...........
Minister to France
Governor of Virginia
Secretary of War
Secretary of State
............... Florida

On the front:
1817 1825 or 1925

PS. Anyone recommend a certain procedure for cleaning up coins without deteriorating them? This one is out of the ground without any cleaning....afraid it will chip apart. Thanks.

It sure does! Thanks very much! I've been searching the internet like crazy without finding anything close, so thanks again!! BTW that was fast!

Thanks Jim. I think that is good advice. This one is already flaking around the edges so for now it sits in a small plastic freezer bag.