Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need ideas how to hunt this

Ronstar

A friend asked me to try and locate the property in this photo. To my amazement I actually found it! The house and barn are still standing but the property is quite overgrown. I have never “relic” hunted per say but is it wise to hunt this in all metal mode? Or should I hunt in discrimination mode as I normally do (iron set at 13 which still sounds off on iron but not all of it). Picture is obviously older (car guys can probably ID). Any suggestions on settings or plans of attack?

Attachments

• 4FB88EBB-7033-41DD-9F58-24B66207D4B6.jpeg
    4FB88EBB-7033-41DD-9F58-24B66207D4B6.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 220
How I normally approach a house like this is to find and search the driveway first. Then hit the close lines if there is one. Front and rear entrance surroundings. Look for big old trees for picnic areas. Or where people might congregat. Good luck. happy hunting Rickinmi!!!!

Up until a year ago this was 99% of my hunting style. Rick is correct to cherry pick around the drive, sidewalks, clothesline. Not sure what machine your using but I would use disc mode with 0 disc 2 or 3 tones and start just getting an idea what’s in the dirt. I can already tell ya that if it’s grown up but still standing, the trash will likely be crippling.

The fact that it’s still standing sometimes sucks, modern inhabitants weren’t long before when the house is still standing. In most rural communities old homes become dump sites for the family and neighbors. Prolly whole cars and implements laying around. Not to mention tons of cans. Nails are the easy part.

The car In the pic looks like an old 20s ford. The pic looks 30s-40s to me. Could be 50s on an old camera. Looks like my grandmas old photos.
I’m curious as to what state this is, the trees and vegetation looks southern, the barn and home looks straight midwest.

My first few visits would be all cherry picking and listening while covering some ground. After locating some hot spots I would hit those areas harder. If it’s worth it I would move limbs,vegetation, and large pieces of junk to reveal more areas to swing. If accessible I would be all over the front porch area as long as it appears original. Take a look at the foundation, where I’m from that house looks 1870s-1890s to me. Probably a limestone foundation/partial basement. These sites require many hours and visits with different machines to clean out. Takes years.

Last edited:
Start with higher disc then keep going lower after each pass until it starts going crazy on you, it's possible you might make to all metal but doubtful.
I did actually find a spot years ago that even in all metal the detector hardly beeped, that's the exception not the rule, most of those spots are heavily trashed & you can't get to all metal.

Im using Fisher F5 with 11”DD to start then 5” to further push. Location is lower north central Idaho

I’ve been having fun with that pic. With a little work trying to really zoom in on the driver and the top eaves of the barn. The driver silhouette is real cool. Appears to have a cool little top hat 🎩 on. Also it’s very hard to make out for sure, but it appears as though the barn has “1917” at the top. I could be all wrong but that’s what I see.

You are correct! Barn was built 1917 and today looks pretty much the same. House, we believe, is 1905. House lived in until 60s and still safe to walk in to. Current owner lives basically across the road and keeps a close eye on the property. There are still some minor antiques inside the house. Owner is contemplating tearing the house and barn down as taxes and liabilities are a concern. It may not be until further into the Fall before allowed on the property but this could be a fun experience.

First thing is start hunting in your normal detecting mode then depending on Iron infestation,
Trash and soil mineralization I set my detector accordingly.
The site looks sweet. Good Luck

Had the chance today to go through the house and the building surrounding. The house is basically no longer visible from the point original photo taken. There are some antiques still inside and older newspapers etc. Barn was unlocked by owner so we got to go inside. There were homemade tracks to use on the rear wheels of the car in the photo to get through the snow and other old automotive gear!
House was solid enough to walk around in, a couple of the sheds have collapsed but chicken coups and One other building still standing. Big surprise is a bigger structure not shown in picture (behind barn) which I believe may be one of the original one room schools dating back to late 1800s.
I thank you for the tips and will revisit this post once (hopefully) they grant final permission to detect!

This chance has been put on hold until later in the fall or early next spring. We had a chance to walk thru the house and noticed a 1953 newspaper on the table! Also found several Sears catalogs upstairs in a bedroom, all were from the 40’s.... stay tuned!!

I think it depends on what you are looking for. I would not search in all metal because, well, I wouldn't want to get all sidetracked with nails and other low value targets. I would try to find old coins, perhaps a cache. Just my 2 cents…. I have a buddy that loves finding horseshoes, so really just depends.

Structures not torn down so expecting minimal old nail syndrome. Also, keep in mind the gold coins and rings go ding in the foil and low nickel range. I’m thinking this is more than a one hunt...

Looks like you will have a grand "ole" time. You've been given some excellent info on how to "attack". Love those old Sears catalogs.