Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need info. on the Garmin 12 gps.>>>:help:

I am thinking of geting a Garmin 12 Gps , will this one work well for use on back roads, and areas in the middle of know where?
Can it tell you where you are at?
Will it work in Mexico within 100mi. of the U.S. border?
Will it show wooded areas, lakes pounds?
I think that you can set a start point and it can show you how to get back.
Is this a good unit or are they known for problems?
I will be doing a trade, what else should I ask the current owener on the unit?
Does it show maps, or do I need to buy map soft were for it?
Which other ones are worth at least $100 bucks used but like close to new?
Thanks
Frank Martinez
elsa1267@sbcglobal.net

See within:

[quote FRANK MARTINEZ]
I am thinking of geting a Garmin 12 Gps , will this one work well for use on back roads, and areas in the middle of know where?
Can it tell you where you are at?
Will it work in Mexico within 100mi. of the U.S. border?
[/quote]

GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It really does mean "Global" = it works anywhere in the world. It will show your position as a set of geographic coordinates.

[quote FRANK MARTINEZ]

Will it show wooded areas, lakes pounds?

Does it show maps, or do I need to buy map soft were for it?
[/quote]

This mode does not show any maps. It has a plotter screen which shows a depiction of the track record (record of it's movement) and relative positions of waypoints (positions / locations that you store in the unit) but, no features like roads and such.

[quote FRANK MARTINEZ]
I think that you can set a start point and it can show you how to get back.
[/quote]
Yes. It will show you your position and position of any other point that you record in it (it could be a starting point) and it can show you the direction and distance from your current position to that point. Keep in mind that it will be compass direction. Because GPS12 does not have a build in compass, you will need a separate compass to follow it. Well, if you are moving than the GPS12 can calculate which way the North is and "orient itself" in relation to the North but, you have to be moving in a good pace for that display to be accurate. When you stop, that display can point anywhere even that it will give the correct (numeric) compass direction to the target. In other words; the compass that the receiver shows is not really a compass. It is used to tell you that the target is (for example) 12 miles from you in direction of 125 degrees (from the North) and this will be very precise BUT it will not tell you where the North is.

[quote FRANK MARTINEZ]

Is this a good unit or are they known for problems?
I will be doing a trade, what else should I ask the current owener on the unit?

Which other ones are worth at least $100 bucks used but like close to new?
[/quote]
It is an older unit but a decent one. Still, it's so old that I would NOT pay for it anywhere near $100.
An opinion: Technology advanced so much that almost any new, current unit has more features and better accuracy and sensitivity than the GPS12 and some of the unit can be had for about $100.