Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some advice on HF coils

Bob38

I have searched youtube for the advantages of HF coils in iron. I hunt for everything, relic, coin, and Jewelry in medium to low mineralized soils. Like most you, the limiting factor is the iron contamination and I know the HF coils works better for small items but have seen videos of the HF coils being used in high iron contamination. My question is what would be your choice in coils (9in or 9 1/2 elliptical) and what is the advantage of HF coils in the iron. I can only speculate.

Also, I have the 11 inch x35 and I would think the 9 inch X35 would be an option, but the HF would expand my frequency range.

Think i saw a you tube video. The elliptical has a higher frequency for tiny gold. And the shape is good for tight places and better target separation Somebody said not quite as deep but it must be very close. Probably the one I would get for the chance to do some nugget hunting.

Due to its footprint, the elliptical is at the top of my list, but I'm not sure what advantages I will have with the high frequencies. It is true that separation is the new deep so I was wondering if the high frequencies enhance in the separation capabilities. Over $400 is a commitment and I want to make sure I make the right choice for what I plan to use it for.

For me the choice would be between the elliptical or the 9" X35 coil. I like the 9" X35 because of all the frequencies available. From 4 to 27Khz. That is a great range to do most anything. The HFs only go down to 14. 4 is good in iron and good for silver plus it has the boost mode. The elliptical has a very high freq, 74 I think but unless you plan to nugget hunt you probably won't use that much except for Smokey the Cat. She uses 74 a lot but she might be one of very few who do. I have the elliptical and never used the 74. Good Luck

I haven't been able to try a X35 coil yet but if your looking to iron sift the Hf 9x5 is like a laser in the iron. I also have the 9"hf and it does really well too. It does excellent in the iron as well but that 9x5 will out hunt most machines with sniper coils on. For heavy trash sites I definitely recommend the 9x5 for sure. The high freq just plain old seem to have a advantage cutting thru the iron.

Thanks guys for the input. I have the 11 inch x35 and have yet to get acquainted with it like I should. I do like the boost in 4Khz with the stability the x35 offers. However, I’m really thinking of the 9 inch HF to supplement or expand the frequency range of what I already have with the black 9 inch. Therefore, I think the 9 inch would be the best choice for what I face and the HF coil should give the audio lift that I’m looking for.

I have viewed Calabash Diggers videos and I have gained a bunch of insight from his videos. However, I have heard that the HF coils offer better separation in the iron. Not sure if this is an physical attribute the HF coil achieves or it is the audio that offers this iron separation. Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

i think Calabash uses 28 khz alot and the X35 coils go up to 27khz or there abouts. Smokey does use the highest frequency tho so if you can contact her that might help you to decide.

Tony-OK

I love the Calabash Digger. I don't watch a bunch of MDing youtube just the ones I can learn from. He has helped a bunch.

Back to the HF Coils. When People say The HF coil is good in Iron, I wonder in which way. Does it make the iron more pronounced or less? I know the small items are better detected with higher kHz. From what I take is that the higher Khz generates a better more defined response from the high kHz. If that's not the case let me know.

Thanks to all who have responded to my post.

"Gopro stop recording"

The combination of smaller sized coil and higher frequencies on the 9"HF coil makes for a hot coil when detecting for mid to low conductors like buttons and copper based relics. A very noticible difference to the LF coils on how deep you can pick up such items, even on the highest frequencies. It is also no slouch when going back over well detected coin sites, particularly for on edge coins missing by the larger coils.

If you think you have cleaned out a site with your LF coils using Hot Tones, try the HF coil using pitch tones (and some iron disc) and see how many targets you walked over - you may be surprised.

I love the Calabash Digger. I don't watch a bunch of MDing youtube just the ones I can learn from. He has helped a bunch.

Back to the HF Coils. When People say The HF coil is good in Iron, I wonder in which way. Does it make the iron more pronounced or less? I know the small items are better detected with higher kHz. From what I take is that the higher Khz generates a better more defined response from the high kHz. If that's not the case let me know.

Thanks to all who have responded to my post.

"Gopro stop recording"

I really don't know what makes the high frequency coils and high kHz settings pick through iron so good but its eye opening what you've missed using the lower kHz settings. It's kinda like it turns it into a lazer beam on separating good targets in thick iron when you try it. And your beat to death sites start producing good targets you never dreamed could be there in the ground.