Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some advise about V3i

seekingsilver

I have been detecting for about 20 years and I am new to findmall. So please forgive me if I don't follow proper channels or protocol!
I am trying to decide if the Spectra v3i is a better detector than the DFX? I have read as much as possible on this forum and have enjoyed your stories and pictures of your finds that many have made with the v3i! I thought since many of you have had this machine for at least a year, by now you would know weather you feel like you made the right choice?
I am thinking of selling my DFX to purchase the v3i. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Some of us came from the DFX to the V3 family and I think I can speak for most, if not all of them............. YES

I used the DFX since it came out to when the V3 was introduced and there is really no comparison.

Thanks for your response! So I have to ask does it make you dig less junk, more depth, and better finds?
Is it easy to learn? Finally I take it you would do it in a heart beat!?

I would say yes to the first two for sure, the third has more to do with where you hunt. One of the stock programs will get you started and you will do well with just that, but with the V3i optimized to your ground and hunting style, you should do much better. I would say if you can afford a V3i, do it. There is a lot to learn with the V, most of it has to do with personal preferences and you can learn as you go, so to speak.

I can share that it's not that hard to learn. Read the manual, read the forum ask good questions and generally it's not to difficult. It does take a little getting used to. BUT it has great response, tremendous depth and sensitivity. Tonight I picked a wheatie underneath a small nail in a spot I've hit many times with my former detector. The V3 has really good target separation. And it's just plain fun to see those 3 frequencies respond and help filter out the trashy bits for the goody bits.

I want to thank you guys again for your input! It has been a great help. Hopefully I will have one soon and find something good to share with you!
I started out with the spectrum then got a DFX and soon will have a v3i so I can join all of you in posting great finds!

Ive spent a week with my new v3i and actually spent most of that time learning and studying it and all the settings etc.I have to tell you mate the v3i is the most flexible detector ive seen yet and ive had explorers,etracs,fishers,teknetics,whites and c-scopes but the v3i does do more.I also had the DFX and the MXT pro both of which are good machines i might add however the V3I runs rings round them in depth and stability and its also newer technology.Couple that with a fantastic colour screen and 3 frequencies to play with and what more could you want.I have to tell you i used it for the first time in the field last weekend and ive bottomed my field with my e-trac (so i thought) and came away with several coins plus a 16th century thimble and also a beautiful silver florin which wasnt bad as i only used it 2 hours.The V3I is probably the first machine ive really been excited about taking out again because i know its a capable machine and whats more its actually interesting to use.My advise is get one and study the manual and study the machine at home with different modes and settings and do a lot of air test so you can get familiar with what you can hear and also what you see.Also dont assume that from one program to another that there wont be much difference because with my tests ive found that some programs detect up to 6 to 8 inch deeper than others which is why i devised my own which i cant wait to get out and use.For example- 11" on an edward 1st penny and approx 15" on a victorian penny.If you can afford one then id say BUY IT !!

I "traded up" to a V3, and then the V3i after using a DFX for two years. As the others have stated in the replies above, there are many great features which make the V3i an overall better detector than the DFX. In my experience I have not found the V3i to be a particular deeper seeking detector than the DFX. I got great depth with my DFX, finding silver dimes at more than 10 inches, and large cents at more than 14 inches. I have yet to find either with the V3i. This may simply be due to the fact that I have not walked over any of these deep coins yet. This is not to say that I am unhappy with the V3i. I have found some very deep coins and targets with the V3i including a half reale coin (smaller and thinner than a US dime) at 9.5 inches and many more old copper and silver coins than I ever found with the DFX in the 5-8 inch range.

A few observationsI have made that the others have neglected to mention are
  • The V3i seems to be extremely sensitive to small items, such as tiny buttons, even more so than the DFX.
  • The V3i is much more sensitive to gold than the DFX due to its ability to operate in 22.5KHz vs the DFX 15Khz. 22.5Khz.

: