Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some guidance on the E-Trac...

grumpyolman

Others have said I could use guidance in other areas but I know they are wrong!!;)

This has to do with marginal signals. I did find one silver and one wheatie recently. I was searching slowly and really trying to listen carefully to the intermittent tones I was getting as well as all the other noises.

I went back to the same area and tried to repeat my hunting style but am having some problems. I hear an 'iffy' and I try to see if I can't get it to repeat, first of all in two directions, then I rotate 90 degrees and try again. I have dug even strong repeatable one direction peeps. Often, way to often, it's a ghost hole. I don't even mind too much if I find a rusty nail because I was able to learn something.

Before I dig I do a 'normal' pinpoint and unless I am in a totally clean area, which really doesn't hold the loot anymore, the size of that signal when pinpoint rarely lines up in the same place I hear and mentally place the peep while in detect mode. I would expect to hear a bigger or different signal because if I am hearing a faint peep obviously there is other metal somewhere and it's bound to throw off pinpointing a bit.

To summarize...what action should I take when the pinpoint is longer, wider, off to one side, etc., when searching slow and deep? Why am I the master of the ghost hole? It just might be I have to ignore some of the more iffy targets and not dig ghost holes. Just don't know and would appreciate comments and instruction. Thanks...Jim

One thing to remember is a coin on edge can signal and pinpoint to one side up to 4"+ depending on the depth and amount of tilt.I am assuming you are testing the top of plug on your lost target as sometimes it can be a very tiny item that you may only be able to detect at an inch or less.

The master of the ghost hole.....I like that! I thought I was at one time but not too much any more. When you pinpoint I'm sure you do it once then do a 90 degree turn to the target then know actually where it's at. If it is nail or ghost hole, (rust ring) it will almost always pinpoint in a different spot for me or if a nail definately a couple of inches from a place I mentally mark or just put a nudge in the dirt with my shovel to mark it. If the TID blips to 50 CO and will repeat itself I will never dig it not unless I can get say a 39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,or 47 on the CO right there at it telling me a coin is almost certainly there too. One of the "great" problems with the E Trac is it lets you know what is there very very well amongst all kinds of other junk metal. One thing for sure, if I get a one way repeat and can isolate the target and it is in the high CO numbers I mentioned and I can just barely I mean move the coil less than a half an inch and it still repeats amongst junk it is something worth moving dirt for. I'd have to say 90+ percent of the time. If it sounds good and is very repeable same CO and a little lower number it could be a coin on edge partially. When in junk infested dirt move the coil as slow as a snail. This dog will sniff out the good stuff. It doesn't bother me a bit to hunt a place as big as a small bedroom for two hours. One more hint to really make your finds go up. Hunt in small circles very slow overlapping and turn the sensitivity up to 28 or 29 and a coin will yell dig me very loud. Get a bigger shovel.........