Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some help on what kind of detector to buy!

TRIPLE-SSS

Hi everyone,
I have been detecting now for over 10 years with 2 detectors, Garrett GTI-1500 and the Garrett AT-Pro. I really like both detectors and have found a lot of different jewelry, coins and just all kinds of things. My AT-Pro is one of the original ones that Garrett came out with years ago. It has served me well over the years and now is going on the blink. I do want to purchase another detector but not sure if I should buy another AT-PRO or go with something different. my max budget will be $1000.. I know that everyone has their own Personal preference on what detector they like most. I have only used the 2 Garretts that I own and have nothing to compare mine with so many others out there.
If someone out there has used the AT-PRO and other detectors , could you give me some really honest opinion on what my next purchase should be. The majority of hunts I do R at the beach. I have started to hunt dry dirt lately. Have been doing slot of research looking at y-tube videos and leaning towards a Minelab detector but not sure which one. i just don’t know if the reviews on Y-tube R legitimate or just marketing tools that companies use. This is why I am reaching out to this forum for some really honest opinions.
Thanks
TRIPLE-SSS

These new detectors are all pretty sweet. You can't really go wrong. I have tried a lot of them. The only one that disappointed me was the Apex. Really though, pick one or two and run with it.

At this point , if your stopping point is $1000 the choice is really one of value or hype , sounds like you're leaning towards the hype. All the current top manufacturers are doing SMF but if innovation is what you are interested in you are going to have to drop another $500 for the Deus2. This video is more to the point and credible than most on the net

Reactions: Ism
At this point , if your stopping point is $1000 the choice is really one of value or hype , sounds like you're leaning towards the hype. All the current top manufacturers are doing SMF but if innovation is what you are interested in you are going to have to drop another $500 for the Deus2. This video is more to the point and credible than most on the net

Hi, Impressed with the video regarding value or hype. My question is , have you used the At-Pro and other detectors? How do they compare to the At-Pro Based on personal experience and not what you might read or watch on Y-tube. unless you have a trusted source, most of everything you see is just a marketing ploy to generate sales. This is why I asked for some real life opinions based on actual field experience comparing my AT-PRO to other detectors with sincere people on this forum.

I used an AT Pro for a long time and had great success with it. I sold it years ago to "upgrade" to a newer fancier machine. Since then, I have purchased and used many detectors with the newer better technology. Even though the newer detectors are a little deeper and a little faster than the Pro, the Pro would have found about 95% of the targets that the newer machines found.
For salt beaches, well that's a different story. For salt, multi frequency is probably your best bet. I use a Minelab equinox 600 on the beach and it works great. You can find great deals on used Equinox 600s and 800s as many folks are selling theirs to upgrade to the newer 700, 900, or the mighty manticore.
I dont own one but the nokta Legend gets good reviews on land and on the beach. With $1000 you have many choices. Good luck.

I used an AT Pro for a long time and had great success with it. I sold it years ago to "upgrade" to a newer fancier machine. Since then, I have purchased and used many detectors with the newer better technology. Even though the newer detectors are a little deeper and a little faster than the Pro, the Pro would have found about 95% of the targets that the newer machines found.
For salt beaches, well that's a different story. For salt, multi frequency is probably your best bet. I use a Minelab equinox 600 on the beach and it works great. You can find great deals on used Equinox 600s and 800s as many folks are selling theirs to upgrade to the newer 700, 900, or the mighty manticore.
I dont own one but the nokta Legend gets good reviews on land and on the beach. With $1000 you have many choices. Good luck.
Thanks!

I have a AT Pro & Nokta Legend, the AT Pro is a good detector but the Nokta Legend is what I use 95% of the time.
And last I saw there is not much difference in cost with the Legend you waterproof, multi frequency and a lot more adjustment.
I have a friend I hunt with that uses a Minelab equinox 800 and the legend will hit as well. There's a lot of good detectors out there you can get but, what ever one you decide learning it will make all the difference in the world.
Also just saw there is a sell going on the Nokta Makro Simplex , I haven't used one but they get pretty decent reviews for the price.

Last edited:
I've had 3 A T pro's and currently have one....that doesn't see any use. The A T Pro is still a good detector, but there are better options today. Knowing what I know, I would look hard at the 700 or 900 Equinox. I currently use a 600 and am moving up to the 900. Multi frequency, faster target response, deeper and other options that the A T doesn't have. Good luck! HH jim tn

The AT Pro tones were sweet. In my opinion, the Simplex is deeper, and faster, and less weight. Simplex tones not that pleasing though and the chatter from the pinpointer drove me crazy. The mute button got old too. That's my opinion there. I would aim for better. I had the EQ 600 it was much better in just about every category. The Legend was better yet but a lot of menu scrolling to remember how to do. It depends on your preference. I like simple to operate. I am the guy that would take the Vanquish 540 without ground balance over the 600 for simplicity. Most would likely not. I have Deus 2 WS6 version now. I prefer it for it's weight, preset programs (variety) and menu layout.

Hi everyone,
I have been detecting now for over 10 years with 2 detectors, Garrett GTI-1500 and the Garrett AT-Pro. I really like both detectors and have found a lot of different jewelry, coins and just all kinds of things. My AT-Pro is one of the original ones that Garrett came out with years ago. It has served me well over the years and now is going on the blink. I do want to purchase another detector but not sure if I should buy another AT-PRO or go with something different. my max budget will be $1000.. I know that everyone has their own Personal preference on what detector they like most. I have only used the 2 Garretts that I own and have nothing to compare mine with so many others out there.
If someone out there has used the AT-PRO and other detectors , could you give me some really honest opinion on what my next purchase should be. The majority of hunts I do R at the beach. I have started to hunt dry dirt lately. Have been doing slot of research looking at y-tube videos and leaning towards a Minelab detector but not sure which one. i just don’t know if the reviews on Y-tube R legitimate or just marketing tools that companies use. This is why I am reaching out to this forum for some really honest opinions.
Thanks
TRIPLE-SSS
If your beach detecting a lot I would go with a multi frequency no doubt I lean towards minelab the 700 or 600 would be a great choice Id go 700 because of the better coil design.I own the 900 and its a great detector also separates better no doubt!
Mark

Hi, Impressed with the video regarding value or hype. My question is , have you used the At-Pro and other detectors? How do they compare to the At-Pro Based on personal experience and not what you might read or watch on Y-tube. unless you have a trusted source, most of everything you see is just a marketing ploy to generate sales. This is why I asked for some real life opinions based on actual field experience comparing my AT-PRO to other detectors with sincere people on this forum.
SSS , I never used an AT Pro , White''s until the intro of the etrac and CTX until they both eventually wore out and now the Legend. I have detected with a good number of people using the AT Pro as well as other Garrett units and have seen them find many good items , especially the AT-Pro in fresh water locations. If you are happy with the AT and not hunting salt water there's probably no reason to change , if salt water is in the mix the SMF technology is probably worth the upgrade. IMHO , I would not even consider a 600 or 800 whether used or new , too much baggage comes with them even though the ML fanboys will deny it , but the intro of the 700 and 900 is all the proof one needs as to how much red ink ML is bleeding over those models. ML doesn't really want you to buy them so why would you? If you compared technology , features and price between the Legend , 700 and 900 the value choice is obvious. As an ex ML fanboy I can say with no reservation that as far as customer appreciation goes , NOKTA leaves ML in the dust.