Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

need some settings suggestions for "well hunted" areas

jughed440

I have been hitting some new sights lately with the E-trac in the coin mode and doing good...but want to head back and see what i have missed at a couple of favorite spots (1800s farms) that I have hunted many times (with a Sovereign XS, w. Sun Ray DT III meter) that have yielded quite a bit of silver, large cents, and plenty of indian heads. There has to be many more goodies down deep that are waiting to be found with the E-trac, unfortunately there is also a lot of ferrous trash. I also have only a short period to hunt these areas because of fast growing weeds.
E-trac users, give me some suggestions an what settings would be best...Thanks

I do not think there are a lot of settings you can change except trying two tone ferrous which is a excellent choice for high iron trash areas. I believe there is a sticky on top of this page. I would also try different coils, A smaller coil for trash and maybe a bigger coil for the deeper targets. Also I would slow down and try going over the sites at different angles. Good luck and HH.

pointer80 said:
I do not think there are a lot of settings you can change except trying two tone ferrous which is a excellent choice for high iron trash areas. I believe there is a sticky on top of this page. I would also try different coils, A smaller coil for trash and maybe a bigger coil for the deeper targets. Also I would slow down and try going over the sites at different angles. Good luck and HH.

Ditto

TTF, small coil, go real slow. It takes some getting used too, but it is worth learning. I started learning it this past fall at a park where our good finds were non existent. I was amazed at what TTF produced. A a nice half dime, shield and V nickels, Indians etc. all hidden in Iron. G4E has a couple videos on YouTube. Great to get an idea what to look for. Good luck.

Thanks for the help!! I will try TTF.....and i have since found goes4ever's settings.
http://goes4ever.mymdforum.com/my-settings-on-the-etrac/
I will give that a try and report back. And will also check on the youtube videos.

pointer80 and shawnIN, I do already use the S.E.F. small coil for trashy and brushy areas, but the deepest coin & silver finds were 6-8 inches using that coil in the coin mode. The large amount of trash on these sites has made deep finds tough.

EDIT for first post ...sites...not "sights" :blush:

jughed440, Yea that is the trade off using a small coil in trash is you loose some depth but the separation is awesome. I also have a 13" ultimate coil in my arsenal that separates pretty good and I think it gets a little more depth over the stock coil. Good luck and HH.

I'll just re-enforce all the good advice given so far.

Lets take one of my productive sites for example.
Back in 2012 i found 37 silver coins and 3 silver rings there, the easy ones. Went back numerous times after and got nothing of value and declared that site hunted out. I was using multi-conductive, man. sens and my Tornado coil at the time. Let me add, this historic site has been/still is pounded by detectorists. My guess is that the high density of deep nails and other junk there scared off any serious detectorists.

Fast forward to 2013 now using TTF/4TF, man. sens., Tornado coil and open mask. As indicated above, this site is heavily infested with deep corroded nails, more than one could imagine.
I managed to find 14 more silver coins and a bunch of Indians there at this 'hunted out' site. The vast majority 10 to 13 inches deep. Probably dug up a half dozen deep nails to every deep coin.

Unfortunately a smaller coil would not of found that deeper layer of coins. But in your case a smaller coil could certainly be capable of finding any coins within its depth range among the iron if persevered.

If you got the instinct, go with it and keep working that site by trying something different. And be prepared to dig a lot of that iron... No pain, No gain.

A lot of times that deep jumpy/goofy/ sometimes silver'ish ID is corroded iron but sometimes its a silver coin.
If you are after the really deep stuff, you will have a much better chance using open mask (or bare bones minimum discrim. pattern), dig everything deep no matter the ID and of course a larger coil.

ironsight said:
And be prepared to dig a lot of that iron... No pain, No gain.
...thanks for the advice. will do

You can get deeper with manual sensitivity. If auto sens set to +3 says 20 then start at 20 manual and go up from there.

Thank you for that tip, khouse!!

This pic shows just a few of the items found on one of the 1800s farm sites. Also yielded a whole lot of indian heads, V nickles wheaties, Merc. dimes, etc, and lots of relics too. Love the silver thimble, it was my first of those.