Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

new coil help

rustydigger

I just got the 5.3 eclipse V rated coil. I went outside and dug a test garden.... clad dimes at 2",4", 6", 8-10". I changed the coil settings for the 5.3 on the menu and started swinging 2" no prob the 4" and 6" were blurps that rang up as zincs the rest undetectable. I tried adjusting disc and AM and the gain 9 ways to sunday no change except in the target id #s. Any help would be nice.

You didn't give enough information, like what program were you running? For instance, unless you were hunting in mixed or stereo mixed mode all metal would have no effect.

Freshly buried coins will not give you the depth coins that have been in the ground for many years will give. Until your test garden "matures" you will do better to go out and find a deep target and do your testing with it.

Larry (IL) said:
Freshly buried coins will not give you the depth coins that have been in the ground for many years will give. Until your test garden "matures" you will do better to go out and find a deep target and do your testing with it.

ill try that tomorrow and play around with it till i get it right thanks my fresh garden is prob my problem then.

Larry i tried c&j mixed mode coin deep silver and turned tx boost on and off i guess i just need to spend time hunting with it my fresh coin garden. Just scared me into thinking 2" was all it was going to read.

In C/J, no mixed mode, no boost, you should hit a 6" dime in all but the worst soil. I'm not talking about the fresh buried dime. As coins get deeper the VDI tend to change. Too many good targets will be missed on a good signal that doesn't have an exact VDI.

TX Boost has limited uses.
1) Mild ground where I can generally run the RX gain up to 15, AND where there are very few targets. That is, a hunted out area where I really want to punch deeper.
2) Where RF noise is limiting the RX gain that I can run. In this case, TX boost can be switched on and RX can be lowered.
In most cases, if you can't get the gain to maximum, the TX boost would have little value.

I think what happened is that the original "default" setting was set to the D2 coil and the depth readings you were getting were inaccurate to begin with..

This leads to another question.

Where is the adjustment for different coils made at in the program? I've been switching back and forth between the 9.50 and the D2 in the dirt and sand but have made no changes specifc to either coil. Tomorrow my 5.3 gets here as well so I need to know what I'm doing wrong.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Dave

Did you scan your ground in a metal mode or pinpoint mode to make sure the ground was clean where you buried the coins ? If there is any iron there it could be masking your coins and messing up your vdis. How close to each other are your coins ? That could be a problem too. Freshly buried coins depending on the ground can play havoc too with bad vdis and even being able to detect them. Freshly buried coins at 6" in my backyard i can detect easily but other places i have freshly buried coins at 6" i could'nt even detect them.Depends on the ground and how long the coins are in the ground.

If you have a V3i, then expert menu > configure > loop select.

All this does is give you a more accurate depth reading. If you don't change it you will be as accurate as a M6, MXT, etc. It does not effect performance.