Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New coin garden readings?

Whitetail

So....I go into my yard with a couple of coins just for testing the other day....a 1964 silver kennedy and an indian head penny, just to see how they would read and I got some surprising results that I'm hope you guys can shed some light on. First I was using G4E's settings. I put the half at 6" and I wrote down 10 readings. They were all in the Quarter range 12-45/12-47(thereabouts)? I always thought Halves read differently?
Then I removed the plug and dug down 2 more inches and reburied the half at 8" now. My detector could not read the coin? Why is that? I've found coins a foot deep before? Is there something about a freshly buried coin that inhibits detection at greater depths? Have any of you noticed this?
I pretty much got the same thing with the indian. Obviously different readings. It read it ok at 5/6" but not 8"? These were not guestimates...I used a ruler to measure depth.
Thanks guys.

With an increase in depth, do NOT go by the readout. Dig by sound. I found many really deep coin with my Etrac that sounded great by the number were way off. As far as not reading the half goes, open the screen wide open take the discrimination off. That will reduce you're depth.

My coin garden gets better with age, at first it could not pick up my 7.5 inch coins, so I totally saturated the ground with two five gallon buckets of water and then it picked them up ok. It is 4 yrs old now, and the older it gets the less sensitivity I need to detect them, so yes I agree freshly buried coins do NOT detect well

I just did the same thing and barely picked up a quarter at 6" . I know I have dug dimes at 7" that hit pretty good. I used a wood auger bit and drilled 1" holes and then packed the dirt down and after watering it some it got a little better, 6" hit so so 7" was real iffy and 8-9-10" it doesn't have a clue they are there

Stock coil. I just tested a silver dime at 6".....wouldn't even pick it up. Opened the screen right up...nothing. Switched over to TTF....nothing. I can't figure out what is going on? Again....using G4E settings. Coin program. Reads normal on top of the ground....bury it and nothing? I'm wondering if I don't have something set up correctly. Very depressing.
Do I have a bad coil? Can't remember the last time I found a silver? Any suggestions?

no it just hasn't been in the ground long enough to get a halo effect going ... how about just a regular air test

Not sure what I should be getting, but I just tried a Rosie and could only get 6-6.5" air testing. An indian about the same. Gold ring about 7-7.5".
A silver half about 8-8.5" and a silver dollar about 9-9.5"

I know this goes against popular opinion but I stayed away from air testing and coin gardens for that reason you are having now. Second guessing the machines performance. Then you get to the old yard and start swinging and start thinking boy am I missing coins. Couldn't read that dime in my yard. Then you loose focus don't make tight sweeps start to wander off grid then don't find silver and go home and think boy I wasted money. I should have got an at pro! Ah the humanity. I do this I look at guys posts like neb and G4E they got fort Knox beat in etrac finds. Get to the yard and say fact silver is here and its mine and let it rip. Don't over think it I guess

There are a few problems. People over think it and make it more difficult than it is and they take everyone else's programs and go nuts trying to make them work in soil that's different than where the program was developed.

First, a users needs to learn what each setting does, start with one of the factory programs and make slight adjustments as needed.

If you look at the table of factory programs, you will notice that there only very slight changes from one to the other. Once you visualize that, the machine becomes a whole lot less formidable.

Are you guys using Auto or Manual sensitivity?
I searched for G4E's website and his settings appear to include Auto+3
Even though, a Quarter at 6" should easily be detected but might not indicate a perfect Quarter 12-47 ID.
According to some of my past air testing using manual sensitivity and Tornado coil, my eTRAC can easily detect a clad dime at 9 to 10 inches albeit with an iffy ID but good enough to know its a dime. Unfortunately i never documented air test results with the stock Pro coil which i haven't used in over a year.

I'd suggest trying a hi manual sens. and see what happens.
Auto sens. will factor in the ground conditions which depending on the ground could drastically reduce overall sensitivity.
I myself rarely use Auto sensitivity. For some reason probably hyper-pounded parks, most of the oldies around here are deep some really deep.

Or fresh buried coins.. ??????????????

DO a complete factory reset AND THEN ENTER .the programs settings you want.. Let us know how that worked please...

coin gardens need time to ripen ... get that halo effect going ... I made mine the same time you did and I can barely get a squeak on a 6" quarter but yesterday I was digging dimes at 7-8". don't sweat it and forget it for a year or two

ironsight said:
Auto sens. will factor in the ground conditions which depending on the ground could drastically reduce overall sensitivity.
A quick air test using man. sens. will at least indicate whether the eTRAC is broke or not or whether the ground conditions are reducing sensitivity in Auto. If it can't detect a Quarter at 8 inches in that air test then something's going on.

i agree that freshly buried coins reacted much differently than coins buried a long time. i wouldn't worry about it. confidence is key just go out and have fun and know your gonna find good stuff if your in the right place. if you get skunked one nite than oh well don't sweat it we all get skunked every now and then.