Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New CTX Looking For Southern California Groups

RAProspector

Greetings, I recently purchased a CTX 3030. Since then I have read Andy's book and viewed numerous YouTube videos on the CTX and I still feel I need someone to show me how and when to adjust the settings. I'm interested in joining a group or club in So Cal with other CTX users willing to show a "New Guy" how to effectively use the detector.

Any input is appreciated.

Have you owned another metal detector before you bought the CTX?

Your answer will help others give you the correct guidance.

I would not recommend any groups. Most of the "experts" I've ran into over the years don't have a clue what they are doing.

I would recommend starting simple and just getting experience with the machine first. You need to understand the machine first.

Learn how to ground balance and noise cancel. Some of the "experts" I've talked to don't know those are 2 separate functions. Starting out just run auto sensitivity. Get some experiance with the machine and make small adjustments. Learn what each setting and function does. Don't go looking for a magic setting or program.

Like above if you could answer some questions we can help you get started.

1. Have you owned any other detectors?
2. What are you looking to find?

I would not recommend any groups. Most of the "experts" I've ran into over the years don't have a clue what they are doing.

I would recommend starting simple and just getting experience with the machine first. You need to understand the machine first.

Learn how to ground balance and noise cancel. Some of the "experts" I've talked to don't know those are 2 separate functions. Starting out just run auto sensitivity. Get some experiance with the machine and make small adjustments. Learn what each setting and function does. Don't go looking for a magic setting or program.

CW3, you are right about so called self described "Experts". There are a few on the four big metal detecting forums, but it takes a while to figure out who they are. The rest seem to have the believe that what they "think" qualifies as good solid well accepted technical advice and their "thinking" can lead you down the wrong path and lengthen your learning curve because you are learning from these so called "experts" incorrect facts that hopefully you will unlearn at a certain point in time.

CW3, you are right about so called self described "Experts". There are a few on the four big metal detecting forums, but it takes a while to figure out who they are. The rest seem to have the believe that what they "think" qualifies as good solid well accepted technical advice and their "thinking" can lead you down the wrong path and lengthen your learning curve because you are learning from these so called "experts" incorrect facts that hopefully you will unlearn at a certain point in time.
I had one of the experts waste 2 years of my life when i was learning the excalibur ii. Started doing my own research on setting, then started getting twice the depth i was getting.

@Don't go looking for a magic setting or program.
oh...that hurts ! Why did I call my program magic ??

@Don't go looking for a magic setting or program.
oh...that hurts ! Why did I call my program magic ??
My comment has absolutely nothing to do with anything you have ever said. You know what your doing and give excellent advice.

A new person needs to get experience with whatever detector they own and understand the settings. Don't start right off the bat trying to run 10 different programs chasing a magic setting. Learn the detector so you know what changing the settings is doing to the operation of your machine.

I'm talking about the local expert in my area giving me bad advice on the Excalibur Ii. I believed his advice for 2 years and waisted a lot of my time.

My comment has absolutely nothing to do with anything you have ever said. You know what your doing and give excellent advice.

A new person needs to get experience with whatever detector they own and understand the settings. Don't start right off the bat trying to run 10 different programs chasing a magic setting. Learn the detector so you know what changing the settings is doing to the operation of your machine.

I'm talking about the local expert in my area giving me bad advice on the Excalibur Ii. I believed his advice for 2 years and waisted a lot of my time.
This is exactly what happened to me with my new Nox 800 in March 2018. I "thought" I knew something about metal detecting since I had owned about 4 different models since the late 80's. But really those detectors in the past spent 95% of their time in the closet. I got more serious about detecting with the AT Pro. It was easy to learn and use and yes it a very capable detector. But hitting the Minlab 800 I was out of my league in terms of what my solid knowledge about metal placed me and certainly out of my league in terms of modern metal detectors. Consequentially it took me a long while to determine the 800 was not a really good fit for me. Hard to admit that but it was true.

I too chased those magic settings that others were using on their hunt site that did not work for my hunting sites. Not having a deeper understanding of metal detecting therories and principles, I did not realize that those settings from others were actually hurting me by having my 800 set up wrong for my site. I am not making those mistakes with my new CTS3030.

yes...We have the same with the etrac forum....people actually use a lot of advice that is absolutely incorrect info....or thoughts as you suggested and will never switch to anything , even after it is proven to work.....great thread going here ...appreciate the whole thread so far !

Reactions: cw3