Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New detecting show on NatGeo

jcooking

On February 28th, NatGeo will be premiering a new show called Diggers. Thought I would share in case some of you guys are snowed in and want to see some goodies being rescued. These guys are quirky and funny, and think you all may enjoy watching. I know there is mixed feelings about metal detecting publicity of this form, and I am really not trying to start a discussion of the "good and bad" that may come out of a show like this, just sharing in case you want to check it out.

Lets just say I would surely get banned from here if I described how I truly feel about this. :rant: :cry:

Prepare for the onslaught of unfilled holes, more areas closed to detecting and more competition for a dwindling number of keeper finds. The TV shows about storage auctions absolutely destroyed what was once an enjoyable and sometimes profitable pastime. The manufacturers are going to love it, but this is going to be one of the worst things that could possibly happen for anyone that currently enjoys this hobby.

ZOFCHAK said:
Lets just say I would surely get banned from here if I described how I truly feel about this. :rant: :cry:

Prepare for the onslaught of unfilled holes, more areas closed to detecting and more competition for a dwindling number of keeper finds. The TV shows about storage auctions absolutely destroyed what was once an enjoyable and sometimes profitable pastime. The manufacturers are going to love it, but this is going to be one of the worst things that could possibly happen for anyone that currently enjoys this hobby.

Amen to that ...

We just had three rural churches have their ac coils stolen for the copper.I can only imagine what that will do for detecting at these sites.Damage estimates are 60k.Hopefully these people will be caught and convicted!

The damages might not be as bad as you think. (initially) The show is on National Geographic which is a cable premium channel in most markets. For those who get satellite reception, I think it is on their standard package, at least that is the way it is here in our area, (Dish), so I think it will air to a very limited market. Someone was thinking short term gains in dollars and vanity rather than long term damage to the hobby, but that is life.

Just might be, "once people see items being found".They will allow detecting on their properties.

I just hope who ever the detectorist chosen for the show are credible, and not a couple yahoos.......

I have watched a couple of the reality shows and you wonder how some participants find their way home at the end of the day....:shrug:

Let's just hope were not all embarrassed. I already read somewhere their colorful..What ever that means.??????????????????

Not real happy about it.....It doesn't take much to ruin a good thing, and reality T.V. is were it starts..

Why waste time watching a scripted reality detecting show when you can watch real detectorists on youtube, many of whom are members of this forum? These reality shows thrive on drama. How do you get drama out of detecting coins in the park or woods unless you are in places where you should not be, i.e. getting run off or perhaps getting in a fight with land owners over finds, trespassing, etc. Easy way to leave people with a bad impression. Just my opinion.

I'm gonna chime in and promise I will be nice. I am sure that the show will have no more impact than Gold fever has had on prospecting or the outdoor channel has had on hunting or fishing, not to mention Odyssey or the Kristen Gump treasure show. The show is light hearted and no one stands to make a bunch of money. the finds are real and not gold coins or strong boxes to get people excited, All the hunts were on private property with permission. It is what it is and I'm sure its not going to stop with ATC March 20 there is another show called American Diggers set to premiere on syfi and the team who is doing that show claims to have found over half of a million dollars in lost treasure, This show will be more down to earth than you think.:cheekkiss:

Is this a one time show or a full fledged reality series? Is it scripted? Glad to hear it will be more down to earth and not exaggerated.

Its a 2 episode premere, not sure if there will b e a season. We hope there will be. It was not scripted.

Who knows....Maybe this will be a plus for the hobby if it's done right. If it is, it might give everyone better access.

We'll just have to wait and see.

m.....

You need to talk to ADMIN SteveO, and why are you so concerned? It wasn't even your post.

Its all good, It was my fault for putting information that I shouldnt have. No worries. I did get a pretty hateful email from a member I havent heard of but That was no big deal either.

Not all shows are bad. I've watched the show "Meteorite Men" quite a few times and they seem to be respectful and seek permission and the usual things you'd like to see from people in the hobby.

My problem isn't with the guys on the show. I've watched a few of their Youtube videos and they seem to be highly knowledgeable detectorists that are truly excited about the hobby. My problem is solely with the massive publicity these types of shows will bring to metal detecting. If these shows become popular we are in for one heck of a surprise! :yikes:

I can't stress enough how much of a negative impact reality TV has had on the storage auction business, and I don't expect it will be any different with metal detecting. I started buying storage units around 2003 and there would be 5-10 bidders onsite at a typical auction (Occasionally there would be just one or two). As the recession came along the crowds grew a bit larger and you would have as many as 15-20 bidders at some of the larger auctions. The majority of them were still seasoned buyers who knew the odds and placed reasonable bids. Then came the TV shows......

The first auction I went to after the shows aired had 75 registered bidders and I counted 111 people on site! :surprised: It took over 2 hours to go though all 12 units and you can just guess how many good buys were there to be had. I literally had to give up in two weeks what I had been doing for the last 8 years. Some of the regulars figured it would slow down a bit after the newbies had a bit of buyers remorse, but when one gave up there were 2 more behind them. Prices literally doubled and the amount of time one had to invest did the same. I no longer attend the auctions, but a few of my friends still do and they have seen crowds as large as 200 people.

I only started metal detecting about 3 years ago and it was great timing as my days of "treasure hunting" at the auctions came to a screeching halt. The thought of reality TV doing tot metal detecting what it did to the storage auctions ties my stomach in knots. I hope I'm totally wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.....

These shows are always worrisome and maybe we are overreacting, but I have to agree with a lot of what I have read so far.

Personally, I hope this show doesn't make it. Sorry if that sounds mean, but the risks of a show like this outweighs the benefits IMO.