Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New detector

Justin E

Long story short. My step dad has an old Whites Spectrum that's over 20 years old. I think it's on its last legs. I'm looking for getting a new detector for his birthday. What are some good recommendations?

It would help if you gave us a little bit more information about your step dad,what i mean by that is he in good health and can swing a normal or heavy machine,what type of detecting does he do ie beach or land or both that type of thing.Also another very important thing you have left out is what is the budget for a new machine.

Its no good asking folks for help on what machine to buy him,but if folks suggest say a couple of machines and they are say over budget then its a waste of help,also no good suggesting a heavy machine if his health is frail,these are the types of things that folks usually require before suggesting anything.

Ok, health wise, he's pretty good to be turning 71. I've seen him spend all day running a chain saw clearing fences, though probably wouldn't hurt if on the lighter side. Probably no heavier than the Spectrum. Though he vacations at the beach every summer, I've never seen him take it with him. I've only seen him use it on land, which is East TN red clay. Budget is preferably under $800.

I use Minelab Etrac which slightly over your budget. Looking at reports and watching some others, if I had to stay within your budget I guess it would have to be a Garrett AT Pro.

I've got a f5 Fisher that is a really all around good machine, this would make a real nice machine for him and it would fit your budget, you could even throw in an extra coil or two for that price. Also it is very dependable and battery life is great.

See, this is where I'm confused. There's the T2, T2 Ltd and Fisher versions, ATPro, Racer, Racer 2...There are so many options it's almost mind numbing.

I don't know where you are in E TN. But we have a few dealers here that could show you the choices and explain the differences. I live in Greeneville and Backwoods Detectors is a mile from me.

There's a certain personal aspect to buying detectors. If he's swinging a 20 year old Whites, weight shouldn't be an issue. How's his eye's? You may want a larger display than the AT Pro offers and more like what the Fishers offer. For your price range of a detector, my personal opinion is that the Teknetics Omega 8500 or the Makro Racer 2 will both impress. But both are light years ahead of what he's using now, and he may want simplicity.

From what I see, if you are going to go the Whites route, you may want to avoid the newest T-Pro or MX Sport and stay with the proven MXT types. The new ones are getting mixed reviews while the proven M series are still favorites.

Just my reply.

I would suggest you stick with Whites if he has been using a whites for 20 years he could just pick the MXT and go like he never changed machines.. What I mean is a new manufacture is a complete relearn of the machine.. At 71 he wants to have fun not learn a new machine. It is nice you want to surprise him, but maybe talk to him about it.. Next time he goes out, ask him, If that machine dies, what would you replace it with? He may have his eye on something that you don't know about.

If he is a coin hunter, I would look hard at the Omega 8500. Light weight, nice easy to read screen with back light for low light hunting conditions, great assortment of coils available and best of of all, it love coins and does very well at Jewelry and relics. Good luck with your decision. HH jim tn

jim tn said:
If he is a coin hunter, I would look hard at the Omega 8500. Light weight, nice easy to read screen with back light for low light hunting conditions, great assortment of coils available and best of of all, it love coins and does very well at Jewelry and relics. Good luck with your decision. HH jim tn

I don't have the experience of some of the guys here but if clarity and size of display are important, I would also recommend the 8500. I personally feel that the F5 has a slightly better organized and informative display than the Omega but they are pretty close. The Omega has a pistol grip that I thought was more comfortable to swing. It also has a back light and depth modes that can come in handy. It's also slightly lighter and more balanced than the F5.

After swinging the Omega and Fisher for some time, I don't know if I could ever get used to a machine that has a tiny display and numbers that are too small to read properly at arms length.

I would think that the Whites MXT Pro would be good. Bought through a sponsor, it more than fits the budget. A friend bought a new one for wothin the $600s.

I had the Spectrum , then the LTD....MXT and DFX appeared at about the same time and I lusted after both before life got in the way of detecting. If he likes his White's and runs the chain saw like you say, I would opt for the DFX,,,similar menu and features but multi frequency and versatile. Why pay retail? Get more buy used.

I don't know if he'd want Whites. He made a comment a while back they used to be the best but aren't any more. I know he was disheartened when he laid a ring on the ground and couldn't get a good hit on it.

Simpler would be better with him. He has, to my knowledge, used a computer without someone there basically telling him what to do.

He's not strictly a coin hunter or anything. He's pretty much a general type.

The best is the Etrac right now look for a used one. Etrac is much simpler to use than most Whites Detectors especially the best Whites which is the V3i

If your step dad has been using a White's machine his whole life, I'd seriously consider staying with a detector that is similar.
I would not recommend a minelab detector, because they are so different.
I have been detecting for about 10 years, and purchased the ctx3030 last year. I been struggling to learn the machine and I'm an experienced detecorist.
I might be inclined to recommend the ATPRO or maybe the new White's waterproof detector.
I know nothing about the new White's detector, but White's is a great company, with great service!
I have the ATPRO, and like it alot.
My wife uses it when she tags along with me, and she has done very well with it, with very little instruction.
It is also waterproof so your dad can use it in the water or on dry land.

You will get alot of different opinions.
I'd suggest taking your dad with you when you go shopping, and let him look and touch.
Then when he sees ones that catches his eye, pull out your credit card.
Good luck.
Let us know what he picked out..

Justin E said:
I don't know if he'd want Whites. He made a comment a while back they used to be the best but aren't any more. I know he was disheartened when he laid a ring on the ground and couldn't get a good hit on it.

Simpler would be better with him. He has, to my knowledge, used a computer without someone there basically telling him what to do.

If you cant get a hit on a ring that is lying on the ground there is either something wrong with the detector or the operator.
Whites machines are still great and if your step dad wants something simple with top performance he should look at the whites m6.This machine is still one of the best machines on the market today,simple to operate with performance levels of much more expensive machines.As a bonus,it is one of the few single frequency machines that works geat at the beach in the wet sand.
Take a look at the reviews for this machine,it is still highly regarded and one of the best all round detectors ever made.

Nauti Neil said:
Justin E said:

If you cant get a hit on a ring that is lying on the ground there is either something wrong with the detector or the operator.
Whites machines are still great and if your step dad wants something simple with top performance he should look at the whites m6.This machine is still one of the best machines on the market today,simple to operate with performance levels of much more expensive machines.As a bonus,it is one of the few single frequency machines that works geat at the beach in the wet sand.
Take a look at the reviews for this machine,it is still highly regarded and one of the best all round detectors ever made.

I disagree strongly. A lot of people such as I do discriminate out Pull Tabs, If yoiu knock out pull tabs you knock out most rings. All detectors will pick up rings if set up for it but if you want to find coins without digging hundreds of pull tabs you will have to knock out most rings. Another reason you must find out what he wants to find.

Do you not listen to the tones,its quite easy to pick a coin tone out from a pull tab,especially with the m6 which I recommended.Also the vdi will tell you if its a coin or a pull tab so it is very easy to avoid pull tabs and still pull coins.
Also,if you use the discrimination control wisely on the m6,you can knock out pull tabs and still pick up most rings,you must be using far too much discrim.

I don't know how much he listens to the tones. He retired after 38 years as a firefighter. When he started, he was on a open cab truck. They didn't start wearing hearing protection until right before he retired. So, he has some hearing loss outside of age.