Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Deus Questions on depth

Im in the market on purchasing one right now and want to see how people like it and how is the depth on the stock coil? Thanks for any advice or comments I already own a 3030 and the wife wants something light and faster on recovery than her 705.

The CTX is deeper with the stock coil. The Deus can be set up to run hotter than the stock programs very easily. But the trick is not to set it up to be unstable. There are a few settings that have can deal a serious blow to depth. Silencer, discrimination, frequency, recovery speed, and of course sensitivity. There is a learning curve with the Deus in my opinion. And it is just better to stick with the stock programs until you grasp the detector. The one area where it shines is in the iron. It has a very quick speed that can seperate targets very well. The real trick with the Deus is determining what is iron wrap around. The Deus loves all round metal and metal with holes.You will dig your share of these types of iron targets. That is the nature of the beast. The CTX is much better than the Deus at Visual ID. It is deeper than the Deus. Just listen to the tones and rotate 90 degrees. I have them both and I feel I am very much set for all my hunting needs. The Deus is a pleasure to swing and once you know the detector it is hard to leave at home. It's a different beast. Take your time and it will surprise you very much.

Like the CTX the Deus can be updated. There is a version 3 update due out any day.

I have a DEUS with the small coil, I'm running the deus fast program and changed the tones only. I dug several jean rivets and small items past 10" today. I dug a civil war button smaller than a penny in my yard at 14" yesterday. I own the ETRAC also and the stock coil will go just as deep and has better recovery speed than the ETRAC. I have a 10x12 butterfly on my minelab, and believe it wil be retired to my back up detector after hunting 2 days with the DEUS. I dug a barber dime, 13 wheats and a merc out of the infield of a "hunted out" ball diamond in Michigan.... IM SOLD ON THE DEUS (just my opinion).

"Z"

thanks ton on both replies...I bought the Deus should have it this week and primalry cause you both confirmed what I already knew..and thanks a ton for that.

AIRFORCEMIKE said:
thanks ton on both replies...I bought the Deus should have it this week and primalry cause you both confirmed what I already knew..and thanks a ton for that.

You will love it! Congrats on a great purchase!

One think i can tel you,i did a quick test with 0.11g gold nugget,

the Deus did make sound on the nugget but with my Minelab Safari no sound at all.

I think that the Deus will be my best detector to date.

Waiting for spring to do more test.

I hear Big Boy has a great set up on the Deus...I need to try his program once it arrives tomorrow

Being that we both own the same detectors now I will be interested in your Deus opinion. Keep us up to date with your trials.

Sounds great Goodmore Im curious as well how I will like it...im assuming it will be a great addition to the 3030.

I also have the ctx. I absolutely love it. I've been thinking about trying deus out.

Z, as you can see I own the 3030 and LOVE it. Im hoping this will help me in iron infested sites. Also want to use it in fields/woods. The size and way it breaks down will also compliment my travels I happen to do so really looking forward to getting it tomorrow. Good luck on your decision hope you pull the trigger and we can keep in touch.

Picsous said:
One think i can tel you,i did a quick test with 0.11g gold nugget,

the Deus did make sound on the nugget but with my Minelab Safari no sound at all.

I think that the Deus will be my best detector to date.

Waiting for spring to do more test.

The Deus does better than my Whites TDI (PI gold detector) in air tests on a .5 grain nugget.
Not sure how it will handle AZ soil. But gauging by my other VLF detectors, it will do fine.

In my style of hunting, namely: Anywhere I have permission, be it old homesites where the old home is still standing, or out in the woods where all that is left is a pile of chimney bricks, or out in the fields where skirmishes was occured, my Deus has shown some impressive depths. In situations where the ground is fairly clean, or where square nails are sparsly scattered, I run program Two. 12 khz, 6.7 points od DISC, 97 to 99 sens, and I have dug bullets and round balls deeper than my predator shovel blade. Sorry, can't give ya that in inches. But to me, it's deep. I have dug 22 casings as deep as my garret ProPointer. I don't carry a tol that will measure, I just use my digging tool and Pro pointer as a guage of sorts.
I DID air test my Deus using the standard clad dime and it air tested at 12.5 inches, going on 13 inches witha repeatable hi tone. I realize that air tests mean nothing when it comes to measuring the depth capabilities of that unit in certain soils. But still, it gave me confidence.
There is something that I MUST say and it has EVERYTHING to do with depth. When I first got my Deus, and read the manual, and then ran out to my test garden where I have various targets, I turned it on, placed it on Program One, Program Two and so on, and I could NOT hit none of my stuff but the shallowest!!! My heart just hurt for a minute or two. BUT!!!!!! I had forgot to Ground Balance. So....the Ground Balance was on the defaulted 90. But then, I set my ground balance by pumping the coil over a clean peice of ground. It Ground blanced at 71 to 72. (depending on the frequency) But when I was properly ground balanced, I hit those targets with a repeatable hi tone. Many of my targets are deep enough to where the VDI numbering ID didn't show a number, or simply showed 98. If the target is deep enough to where just a very small sliver of black can be seen on the non-ferrous side of the horseshoe.....it would give NO VDI number, yet, it will give a repeatable hi tone PLUS that small sliver of black on the upper right tip of the horseshoe. I dug a target the other day that registered no VDI, but was giving a repeatable Hi tone. It was also showing a small sliver of black on that non-ferrous side of the horse shoe. It was a VERY deep harmonica reed, or rather, half of one, that had turned green.
Didn't mean to get so involved with this answer, but I wanted to inform that proper ground balance WILL give better depth. Poor ground balance STUNTS depth.

"Quote" I wanted to inform that proper ground balance WILL give better depth. Poor ground balance STUNTS depth.

I totally agree, sometimes I hunt 5 to 10 below ground balance. Good post Kevin. :thumbup:

Kevin B. said:
In my style of hunting, namely: Anywhere I have permission, be it old homesites where the old home is still standing, or out in the woods where all that is left is a pile of chimney bricks, or out in the fields where skirmishes was occured, my Deus has shown some impressive depths. In situations where the ground is fairly clean, or where square nails are sparsly scattered, I run program Two. 12 khz, 6.7 points od DISC, 97 to 99 sens, and I have dug bullets and round balls deeper than my predator shovel blade. Sorry, can't give ya that in inches. But to me, it's deep. I have dug 22 casings as deep as my garret ProPointer. I don't carry a tol that will measure, I just use my digging tool and Pro pointer as a guage of sorts.
I DID air test my Deus using the standard clad dime and it air tested at 12.5 inches, going on 13 inches witha repeatable hi tone. I realize that air tests mean nothing when it comes to measuring the depth capabilities of that unit in certain soils. But still, it gave me confidence.
There is something that I MUST say and it has EVERYTHING to do with depth. When I first got my Deus, and read the manual, and then ran out to my test garden where I have various targets, I turned it on, placed it on Program One, Program Two and so on, and I could NOT hit none of my stuff but the shallowest!!! My heart just hurt for a minute or two. BUT!!!!!! I had forgot to Ground Balance. So....the Ground Balance was on the defaulted 90. But then, I set my ground balance by pumping the coil over a clean peice of ground. It Ground blanced at 71 to 72. (depending on the frequency) But when I was properly ground balanced, I hit those targets with a repeatable hi tone. Many of my targets are deep enough to where the VDI numbering ID didn't show a number, or simply showed 98. If the target is deep enough to where just a very small sliver of black can be seen on the non-ferrous side of the horseshoe.....it would give NO VDI number, yet, it will give a repeatable hi tone PLUS that small sliver of black on the upper right tip of the horseshoe. I dug a target the other day that registered no VDI, but was giving a repeatable Hi tone. It was also showing a small sliver of black on that non-ferrous side of the horse shoe. It was a VERY deep harmonica reed, or rather, half of one, that had turned green.
Didn't mean to get so involved with this answer, but I wanted to inform that proper ground balance WILL give better depth. Poor ground balance STUNTS depth.

Kevin that was great info my friend, I always GB but good to know if im not digging anything deep its possible I forgot, thanks again and HH!!

I'm glad that I could be of any assistance, but really, I seriously doubt that most folks would have forgot to Ground Balance like I did on that great DAY ONE of owning the Deus. I was simply dumbstruck that my unit couldn't even hit my 7 inch 58 cal Three Ringer (Minie Ball). But I was SO caught up in the newness of the machine, the charging properly, trying to figure out how to open the menu's and so forth, that the totally obvious (ground balancing) just totally left my mind. It hasn't happened since, as it made a believer out of me that proper ground balance, and even a few points BELOW the (pump the coil) ground balance will really help the depth, as DeusDigger said. Wishing you good luck and happy searching with your Deus. Mine has found me alot of awesome stuff. In some VERY trashy places where the old square nails, in various states of decomposition, literally carpeted the ground. Just listening for the hi blip among the iron grunts has produced some astonishing results. The Deus is a unit that will REALLY breathe new life into a 'hunted out' site.

Don't feel bad, I have forgotten to ground balance the Deus more than once. I am convinced it is very important and don't think I will get so wound up that I forget again.

Don

Took it out on sat for a bit, so hard to determine depth cause of being so cold and not many targets in the woods I hit but seems to be ok. I have many targets with no TID's showing and is that normal? Looks like targets fall off the screen after about 5 or 6 inches but that might be inacurate due to me not digging many targets due to the ground being frozen and not knowing how deep they really are. Im running basic one and tweaked a bit but pretty much wide open, disc at 5.5, sens 92, tx 2, freq 11.7, iron audio 2, recovery 2 silencer 2, reactivity 2, audio resp 5. let me know if you would change anything please constructive critisim is always welcome