Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Deus Questions on depth

What is your ground balance setting?

AIRFORCEMIKE said:
disc at 5.5, sens 92, tx 2, freq 11.7, iron audio 2, recovery 2 silencer 2, reactivity 2, audio resp 5.

These are my basic settings : disc at 5, sens 96, tx 2, freq 11.7, iron audio 3, reactivity 2 silencer 1, audio resp 4

The silencer should only be lowered if you are not digging much iron, but your sensitivety can easily be turn up some more. I like using a 2 tone dig, don't dig program, so the "clean" tone in a non ferrous target can be heard easier. These are european field settings though, on a clean field looking for milled silver maybe lower freq to 8 and recovery to 1 for even more depth. I cannot do this because the deep hammereds are not detected using these settings.

Best thing to do is bury a small silver coin at max detection depth and play with the settings to see if you can bring the signal in clearer.

Thanks for the responses, my GB is about 85.

Toe them settings dont look to far off of mine but like your idea of just burying a coin and see if i can pick it up after messing with the settings a bit.

What is your ground balance setting compared to actual ground reading?

In my testing, in my ground, which is only partially mineralized, my XP Deus is much deeper in reporting strong dig signal than both my 2 Etracs and 1 CTX. This is all stock coil across all machines. The XP, when set to simply Relic, or slower mode, kills a 12 inch quarter buried in my test garden a year or so ago. The Etrac begins to give some indication of the quarter, but only in manual and starting about 22 - 23 on the sens scale. My CTX won't give any signal what so ever. I cannot adjust a single param to get that quarter to register. Interesting to me all comments about depth and the CTX. Wish I could replicate some of these comments, as I think the machine is mighty cool, but the Deus wins hands down for what we are doing and where.

Wanted to add that I always either manually GB, or most of the time, set GB to Tracking.

I guess everyone's dirt is different, and thus, different results.

my soil is partialy mineralized as well but after a few test on sat was not getting great depth but that probably has nothing to due with the detector and I know this. Im trying a few things out as soon as weather permits here in Wisconsin so I can see what it can do. Im learning that manual GB to get it close if not same as actual ground is my best bet and also hearing that hunting in relic mode, 4khz, 3 tones is a great setting...since i hunt coins only usually. But Im totally open to anything cause I know the machine has great ability and Im a person willing to get the most out of any machine. Your kinda telling me the same thing that hunting in relic mode has produced better depth, I will look at what that setting is at and see what the difference is to help me out a bit.

Hi,

i have tried many programs en tests on depth and found that 12Khz is the best allround and picks up silver and potentially gold better but is low enough to pick up deeper targets of other materials.

my settings are the prefered ones from Norfolk Wolf, program GM Power@12Khz and disc@3,5, recovery@2, silencer@-1, iron audio as prefered, depends on how much iron there is but i usualy like to hear it. the tones i have set on 3 tones where first one is iron tone, second is till 35 and above is hightone.
keep in mind that different frequencies can give u other VDI values.

i pick up coints at 9+ inch in ground with 85/85GB in trash ground easy with those settings, in air depth is unbelievable with this machine with this size coil and the Deus impressed me allot of times as i hunt in areas with really deep targets.

i hope i can help someone with this.

Hamdi (Netherlands)

Airforcemike,
For depth, play with the following attributes:
Reactivity: huge depth variable. Slower the deeper. Even at 0, such as in relic, still faster than my ETrac.
Frequency: I use this more for ground conditions and target types. Higher for low conductors/smaller targets and hotter ground, Lower for larger and high conductive targets and less complicated ground, both from a mineralized and iron perspective.
Silencer: as mentioned above, I've run this in -1 before. Less filter running, and more color/nuisances audio. Lower the value the more target info you'll hear which can be helpful chasing good NF targs next to F junk.
GB: as Kevin and Jack have mentioned above. I normally set to Tracking, as this a great job and adjusts across all canned modes automatically, so no need to adjust GB as you change modes...but, manual and running a little negative, you'll be digging so fox holes.

Randy

lomoch said:
Airforcemike,
For depth, play with the following attributes:
Reactivity: huge depth variable. Slower the deeper. Even at 0, such as in relic, still faster than my ETrac.
Frequency: I use this more for ground conditions and target types. Higher for low conductors/smaller targets and hotter ground, Lower for larger and high conductive targets and less complicated ground, both from a mineralized and iron perspective.
Silencer: as mentioned above, I've run this in -1 before. Less filter running, and more color/nuisances audio. Lower the value the more target info you'll hear which can be helpful chasing good NF targs next to F junk.
GB: as Kevin and Jack have mentioned above. I normally set to Tracking, as this a great job and adjusts across all canned modes automatically, so no need to adjust GB as you change modes...but, manual and running a little negative, you'll be digging so fox holes.

Randy

This is a great post. These settings will give you all of the depth the Deus has to offer. When I set mine to deep I have the high tone set for Indians and above. Everything below is a low tone. I lose nickels, but I'm really after silver. You can actually reverse the tones later and hunt nickels and gold for another hunt.

reactivity gives +-3cm more each step u take down from it, the reason i use reactivity 2 is mainly to recognize coins from other objects as coins give a more direct tone and with reactivity at 0 its al longer tone but as mentioned still fast.
it personal preference, if u want pure depth u need to go down on reactivity, i also dont get different depths on air tests with high or low disc?!?!?! doesn't a higher disc give u less depth? i tried and dont see any differents.

Reactivity and Silencer are the ones I found the be the real depth killers. Discrimination has always been a depth killer on metal detectors. Some models much more than others. I usually run a discriminaton around 4. I do that to take away half of the iron noise plus you need some discrimination for the horseshoe to work, and silencer to work, and iron audio to work. Plus it sets the low tone. All done with very little discrimination. I like to run a little negative on the ground balance when I want to hit super deep. Also remember to have the coil away from metal when you fire up the detector. Or you just screwed yourself right there. TX power has a very limited difference in my opinion. Some say that TX3 will eat your battery charge up quicker. Most of my hunts are no more that four hrs so I don't really care.

wow thanks a ton guys this was what I was really looking to see and hear from you all. Hopefull with high of 32 on sunday I can try to mess around with some of this advice. Tones settings I already set and happy with what im listening to..pretty much.. Now time to mess with the silincer, reactivity to see how much deeper I can get cause was only hitting about 5 inch dimes. my disc is at 5 and no notch so that should be just fine. I run open screen on my 3030 and love it...noise is no issue I listen to sounds only normally.

This is an old post from the European forums that has made the rounds here before. Some good info regarding depth:

"Today, we were at the "borehole" on our testsite with 2 Deus for another try-out according to the INGO standard, as a follow-up of the last test.
The objective was to record what effect setting the individual of parameters in the menu have on depthperformance.
Testpiece was (again) the 2 RM-piece (1939 Paul v. Hindenburg) and as my base setting I chose my personal program "FOREST" comprising of the following parameters:

- Disk 0
- 4 Tones, but effectively 3 Tones. T1&2 200Hz., T3 317Hz., T4 791Hz. Threshold T2/3 22, T3/4 80.
- Sens 95, Power 3
- 12 Khz.
- Reactivity 0
- Audio Response 2
- Silencer 1
- G.B Manual 80, following the measurement by the DEUS.

Test:

Using the above mentioned values, the 2RM piece was placed in the ground so that it could just be detected. This was at 23 cm ( the ground was bonedry and the coil not fully charged)
Now every individual parameter was changed and the resulting depthperformance recorded. You should read the results as follows: on the left the setting, on the right the performance in cm's
With depthperformance I mean: a usable signal you would dig.

We started of with the Sensivity.

Sensitivity:

80 / 18cm
85 / 20cm
90 / 21cm
95 / 23cm
98 / 23cm

Frequency:

4 Khz / 23cm
8 Khz / 22,5cm
12 Khz / 23cm
18 Khz / 22cm

Now instead of the big 2RM piece, we tried a silver Hohlpfennig weighing 0,12gr, because frequency should have a noticable effect on the small finds capability of a detector.

4 Khz / 7cm
12 Khz / 12cm
18 Khz / 12,5cm

After which we proceeded again with the 2RM piece and with Recoveryspeed.

Recovery:

0 / 23cm
1 / 23cm
2 / 23,5cm
3 / 22cm
4 / 20cm
5 / 19cm

Audio Response:

0 /23cm
1 / 23cm
2 / 23cm
3 / 23cm
4 / 23cm
5 / 24,5cm

Discrimination:

0 / 23cm
1 / 20cm
2 / 19,5cm
3 / 17,5cm
4 / 17,5cm
10 / 16,5cm
20 / 16,5cm
40 / 16,5cm
60 / 16,5cm

Ground (Deus itself measured a value of 7:geek::

77 / 25cm (but it was totally impossible to detect at 77, due to an incredible amount of false signals)
78 / 24cm
80 / 23cm
85 / 22,5cm
90 / 22cm

Unfortunately I totally forgot about the Silencer settings, but I will test this soon.
I couldn't change the Powersetting, despite the 12 kHz I couldn't change it in the Expertmode.
Obviously the Powersetting is coupled not only with the 4 kHz, but als with some other parameter.
I haven't found out which other setting is blocking the Power parameter in the Expertmode.
May be another Deus user can help me out.

Edited: 30.05.2011:

PS: - just tested the effects of Silencer- and Powersettings

With a freshly charged coil I can now detect the 2RM piece at 26 cm - so it pays off to have a fully charged coil - yesterday with Audioresponse at 5
in program FOREST I could only detect it at 24,5cm.

Power:

I tried all POWER settings more than once, but I can't, for the life of me, find any difference in depthperformance!
This surprises me greatly, I have taken my time with this test - the difference is truly insignificant.
I will use setting "1" in the future to save on batterylife and ask myself: why is it made adjustable at all?

Silencer:

The Silencer setting also doesn't have any noticeable effect on depthperformance - whether set in -1 or 4, performance is the same.
Setting 4 resulted in a less crisp signal and is therefore better not used.
Interesting would be to know if the Silencer has any effect on Recoveryspeed

i am not sure but i don't get the same results as mentioned above.
the disc doesn't seem to change depth on my tests, maybe version 1 is used on the tests?
i'm stil not sure exactly what the silencer does besides making the iron sound more "round" and less chattery but dont notice a difference on the airtest on direct objects or coins.
the reactivity has a big impact on depth if u use it above 2.

i will continue testing and posting my results whenever i have some news on it.
best is to do own air tests first becouse allot of settings and tests on the internet was done on version 1.

Yes, it's possible that those tests were done with V1, and I've seen some differences between those results and what I've gotten "in field." I decided to do some air tests since I had the time today (and it's 15 degrees outside). These were done with sensitivity set at 70 due to the amount of EMI in my house, so keep in mind that there are three factors that could make quite a difference here: air test, sensitivity at 70, and high EMI. In ground "real world" results can, of course, vary greatly. I used a clad dime for the test. Had the machine maxed out for depth (except for sensitivity) with all the filters off. All tests were done at 12kHz except the frequency test.

Frequency: 9" at 18kHz, and about 10.5" at 4, 8, and 12kHz

Disc:
0 - 10.5"
20 - 10.5"
40 - 10"
60 - 10"
80 - 9.5"

Reactivity: A pretty consistent gain or loss of about 1/2"per level.

Silencer: Not sure if I saw any difference between levels, but results may be different in mineralized soil..

Audio response: No difference between 1&5 except that the target is loudest at 5.

TX Power: About 1.5" between settings 1&3

wow this thread is getting more interesting by the minute..im hoping to give you some results here when it warms up, tomorrow I will running some test on my machine see what I need to do to get some better depth and you all have given me great advice and thank you!

Keep in mind ground readings are totally different than air tests.

TY deus, I never run airtest based on what depth Im getting, them test never are accurate.