Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Guy.... And a couple of new guy kinda questions

zippy4zz

Great site!!!!!..... So much valuable stuff!
I looked all over the site for what i'm about to ask, because I was thinking it would have been
asked a lot, but couldn't find it.
------
What are some of the ways to turn in your clad/modern coins. I ask this because most of my
clad is corroded or damaged. Do I need to clean the corrosion off first? And will banks take
slightly chewed up coins? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Zip.

I separate my pennies from the clad when I clean them. I uses a rock tumbler with some aquarium gravel, water and real lemon juice and tumble the pennies for about a hour and they come out real nice. Now on the clad I do the same thing and these do take longer and even done these for over 15 hours changing the water and lemon juice after the first 4 or 5 hours.
I also make sure there is no damaged coin when I take them to the bank so they don't damage or jamb up their machines Many of the new zinc pennies from 1983 up are being ate away when we find them and there is really nothing you can do with them I am told as the expense is more than it is worth.

Rick

Corroded zinc pennies get either left in the field or trashed, discolored clad gets a wash job and rolled and took to the bank.

Mark

Some people use a coinstar dirt and all but I clean mine, the bank does not like dirty coins turned in.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?85,2048321,2048331#msg-2048331

I run all mine through a tumbler. Roll up the clad to be turned in at the bank and run all of the pennies through a coin star. Any that get rejected get tossed.

n/t

Awesome! Thanks for all the great info! You guys are a true asset to the forum,
and the website is amazing!

Zip.
----
ps- found my first older coin. 39' Merc. It's amazing how good they can look coming out of the
ground after all that time. Detected a friends house in an older section of Memphis, who's house
was originally built in 39'. What a cool looking coin. I'm hooked!

Like the other posters, I use a tumbler. Just be sure to separate any pennies and do them separately because if tumbled with clad, the clad comes out sort of a pinkish, copper color.
BB

My C/U has a coin counter. I ran clean and tarnished (minus zinc pennies) through with no problem.
C\U didn't care.

Welcome Zippy! Didja click on that link Larry posted? See that massive clad haul? :surprised:

If you decide to be a heavy clad grabber, get a twin barrel tumbler and tumble what you can, daily, just to knock the stink off, only takes a few hours with a bit of soap.....spend the cleans like normal, run the dirtys through a Coinstar or vending machines or toll booths....put the rotten eat up zincs in a coffee can for paying taxes with someday.. :shrug:

Tumblers (time and effort) dont pay unless you figure on really knocking down some immense clad numbers...like 5-10k per yr...which is easily possible if a fellow likes clad/jewelry hunting...If not, just sort of wash it off the best you can and run it through the Coinstar...Great to have you here! what type of hunting do you like?
Mud

Thanks Mud!
Yes, I clicked on Larry's msg! Very cool load of coins. I live in the Panhandle of Florida, around Destin, but I commute to Memphis
for work. When in Memphis, just coin stuff. Been researching older areas of Memphis, but also trying to get perm to hunt farm
land across the river, where Desoto first crossed the Mississippi and the 300 or so Conquistadors who followed him. Trying to
figure out who owns it. Figured I'd offer up some relics for permission to hunt or museum donation.
In Florida, will definitely be shallow water hunting. Will be purchasing a wet suit, next trip down.
I have a Minelab CTX 3030.

Thanks again!

Zip.

Zip I use a tumbler on all my coins except silver. As the guys said separate out the copper and zinc pennies. I use chicken grit in the tumbler with some water and a little dish detergent. I have to get them quite clean as the coin counter at my Credit Union is very particular about what it will accept. If I put a coin in it that has any darkening on it the coin hits the return slot. I have run some zinc thru it that I was sure would get rejected and it accepted them. Go Figure.

I hunt the beach quite frequently in the Charleston area. I hunt parks, Playgrounds, yards, anywhere I can get permission when I am not at the beach. Unfortunately one can not detect in any Charleston county parks that are away from the beach or on any of the Property of the City of Charleston.

Hey Zip, you might want to try to fall in with JimTn, Tabman, and CZ Coinesseur...they all live and hunt in Memphis and really knock down some cool stuff...:thumbup:
Mud

Zip, welcome to the forum. A rock tumbler is about the only way to get clad coins clean enough to spend, but it gets messy cleaning them.
You can buy stainless steel tumbling media from most places that sell reloading supplies that will last a lifetime and doesn't make the mess soap and water makes when tumbling coins.........HH

Roger

Hi Zip, and welcome to the forums (s). I am from the Memphis area myself and do on occasion get down your way.
That land across the river above and below both bridges has been off limits for some time now. We used to be able to hunt that farm land, but things changed for some reason. Permission is no longer granted. At least the last time any of us tried. Good luck! HH jim tn

Thanks Jim and Joe for the welcome!
.... Jim, i actually got ahold of the owner of the land over there. I'm trying to negotiate something right now, with some kind of relic recovery option.
I'm trying to see if we can detect and give a good portion of any relics to Crittenden County or to the owner for history purposes, with the
possibility of keeping coins or some relics for the time and effort. Also, provide owner with a release from liability. I'm hoping
they would grant access with this in mind. When you have time, send me an email and we can talk about it. smzippy40@aol.com
Thanks
Zip.