Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New here, anyone else dislike the pinpoint mode on the se?

Bence

Hi to all, there's quite a few forums around, I had to choose at least one!

So my question about the "lock on" function on the se's pinpoint mode; does anyone else dis like it? I noticed a few mentioned this in another thread and it's good to see I'm not quite alone, although I haven't heard a lot of others complain about this though I think it's terrible. I should have bought the explorer 2.

Has anyone found a way to get rid of this from the electronics?

Any help would be appreciated.

...but after a year, i'm pretty comfortable with it now, finally!

i liked the pinpointing on the DFX better (as well as the toggle switch, instead of a button that's often hard to find).

that said, the DFX usually stays at home nowadays.

someday i'll buy an E-Trac so i can keep up with the big boys!

I have a SE pro and I love the pinpoint button on it. I used to hunt with a soverign XS2. The pinpoint with the new pro coil is very similar to a concentric coil. Along with a SunRay pin pointer I am super accurate. I can make very good judgment calls on weather to use the screwdriver to recover the target or if i need to dig a plug.

I am not sure how the slimline coil pinpoints but I am very happy with the Pro coil.

it is the final key to making the decision on whether or not I dig a deep, iffy target. Once I hit pinpoint...I pay very close attention to the cursor movement on the screen. If it stays to the top right of the center of the screen...I'm diggin'. If it moves over into the iron section though...9 out of 10 times...it's junk...at least for me. Just my thoughts...probably not worth much...but surely worth 2 cents or so:detecting:

never looked at the screen while pinpointing.. so it ID's in pinpoint? maybe I should have read the manual but after using the explorer for so long didnt think I had to

No, I've never had any problems with it. It has worked well for me, and the I.D. feature, as Bryce said, gives me a little more information about the target before I decide to dig.

Knipper

Its nice to see you guys are figuring it out, most of the negative posts are from Explorer SE owners and I can understand why, the Explorer SE is a very good detector and personally I'm not sure that existing expert Explorer users will be able to adapt to the FE 11 to 13 coin range or more to the point why they would want to.

Given time the E-Track will have its own experts users and I'm sure they will be complaining about something they preferred about the E-Track that is not the same on the latest Minelab release.

Also compared with the developments or perhaps the two steps backward that my other favorite detector manufacturer has made in the past four years, Minelab and XP are now miles ahead that's why I chose the E-Track as I didn't want to go back to using tuning knobs and switches and still wanted a good ID screen.

I will start checking that. I always switch to digital when I pinpoint, it usually gives a spot-on ID that way. I will add your suggestion to my routine, thanks!

J

n/t

I love how you can still get readings on targets as you walk in pinpoint mode, I just don't like the fact that it locks onto them as it nulls out everything around it for a few seconds which means you have to reset the pinpoint mode. It doesn't sound like much but believe me, in high junk areas in wet sand, lots get left behind because others can't cope.

I should have mentioned that I like to detect in pinpoint mode at the beach, mainly in wet sand. I'm not sure others realise this, but you don't get false signals in ppmode, just louder ground noise and the signals still come through (so if it's noisy ground, the signal comes through even louder and you know it's a target). I can turn the sensitiviy up all the way with the WOT coil and swing a hell of a lot faster (it seems), it's like using a vlf detector.

But if I can get this straight, does the Explorer 2 have id reading in ppmode? if not, then better I keep the SE. I also have an Excalibur 2 which doesn't have that problem!