Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Jersey looking to dive

jerseyjim

Hi All,
I am a certified open diver looking to get into fresh or brackish water shallow scuba diving.. I have a CTX 3030, I am limited to 10 feet. I dove before but never went metal detecting with scuba equipment on. Is there anyone out there that can help me out? I need a place to get started, any information will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

I tried it before, thinking I would go to the regular ocean beaches, for swimmer/fumble finger losses. And thinking that to be off-shore beyond he lowest tide points, is logically "virgin ground loaded with rings and goodies, woohoo". But the reality is far different:

You , as a scuba diver, know that the ocean bottom is not "constant". It has sand-dunes every-bit-as-much as the intertidal zone (more in fact). Barring unless you're diving on rocky surfaces? Anyhow, we soon discovered that there is no more coins/targets down there, than there is in the inter-tidal zone. Because JUST as the inter-tidal zone can have sterile sections, because the "sand was coming in", well SO TOO is the under-water zone susceptible to have zones of zero targets NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE swam there the prior month or year or whatever.

I got a few coins and a silver earing on an all-day attempt. But I could've gotten 3x that if I'd simply worked the beach. Because under-water time is expensive and clumsy. Ocean current pushing you around while you fight like heck to 'stay on target'. And the minute you disturb the sand to dig a target, you get silt billowing up to cloud out visibility on what you're doing. Then you spend 5 minutes on your target, and FINALLY get it out of the sand at a foot deep: An aluminum can. Fresh as if it were lost yesterday (no corrosion whatsoever). So you know then, that a foot of sand came over where you are now trying, which is a disgusting feeling.

On the upper beach, that's no problem to "read" the beach, and simply go to low spots, which you can see 100 yards up or back on the beach. But you know underwater visibility simply isn't the same, to quickly put yourself on the likely low spots.

The video footage of the Mel Fisher type scuba, where it's cob after cob, etc... is not normal. They probably a) looked for months for that spot, and b) blasted away the sand with underwater fans, and c) that's shipwreck stuff where, go figure, thousands of targets are in an area the size of your living room. NOT the norm, and NOT regular beach fumble fingers losses type hunting. Hence that's just sort of like the bass-fishing channel, where "every cast is a lunker bass", and it "seems" easy, blah blah.

About the only place I could imagine scuba to be fruitful, is if you had a fresh-water lake (or perhaps bay-inlet on the ocean) where the under-water sand/bottom is not susceptible to currents . Hence the bottom is consistent and un-changing terrain. And where LOTS of swimmers, for MANY decades (like a swim lake with dive platform, etc...) existed. And would need to be a state/terrain where the water table is fairly constant. Not the "boom and bust" cycles of something like desert or chaparral terrain of the west. Where it goes dry every 10 yrs, , then washes out and silts in with new incoming water, blah blah (heck, you just wait for drought years, and walk out on dry land, doh!). So perhaps a reservoir where the water level is controlled is better.

I know that in some mid-west states, there are areas where the water level/table never fluctuates, historically, more than a few foot. Because the ground-water level is so shallow. Perhaps old picnic /swim/park lakes like that would be good for scuba md.

I agree with Thom.. I have a friend who hunts very deep in the water at Ocean City Maryland. His ring count is no better then the wetsand to waist deep hunters. Like Thom said, Lakes, Bays and ponds would be my target.

The secret to success detecting on beach's is to try to detect the best area. Same with scuba detecting. Just hitting the ocean isn't going to have great results. You have to try and use your detecting skill. Places where ladders/steps enter the water so people are straight in to deep water that no one has been able to detect without scuba. Under/around pontoons. Underneath diving boards/spots where people jump in. Where people snorkel. Where boats moor up for swimming trips. You know this type of place is where scuba kit will result in great finds. Just scuba detecting up and down beaches isn't a great use of your equipment. Think about places near you that would be good. Then try them. You'll soon have better results.
I do well in wake parcs near the jumps, I have a collection of go pro cameras now! I've even started finding them for rewards. Happy days everyone's a winner! good luck!

Hi Jim... I sent you a PM.

Hi All, sorry it took so long to reply. Tom you are 100 percent right. I wouldn't think of diving the NJ coast. I am thinking rivers and lakes. I have a friend that lives in Sweet Water NJ. He has a house on the Mullica River. You are right about Mel Fisher and that perfect picture of underwater treasure. It took Mel fisher a life time, and he did design an underwater fan that blew away the sand. Plus Mel had a lot of knowledge and spent a fortune on finding that wreck.I would like to get back into diving, so I figured I would combine MD and the love of diving. I am only planing on ten foot dives, a few months a year. I know this is going to get expensive and take up a lot of time. Thank you all.

Jim

Hi All, sorry it took so long to reply. Tom you are 100 percent right. I wouldn't think of diving the NJ coast. I am thinking rivers and lakes. I have a friend that lives in Sweet Water NJ. He has a house on the Mullica River. You are right about Mel Fisher and that perfect picture of underwater treasure. It took Mel fisher a life time, and he did design an underwater fan that blew away the sand. Plus Mel had a lot of knowledge and spent a fortune on finding that wreck.I would like to get back into diving, so I figured I would combine MD and the love of diving. I am only planing on ten foot dives, a few months a year. I know this is going to get expensive and take up a lot of time. Thank you all.

Jim
Tom is never 100% right...I'd give him 96-97%...Max....Tom,if your reading this,did/have you ever crossed Paths with JoJo,in Capitola?stoneshirt