Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Minelab for the 1%er's Ho Well

goldman55

Im in that 99% range Cant afford $3000. Its taken me 5 Months just to save 70% for a New Sov GT. I would be their if they hadnt raised the price $200 on it.

I don't think they designed this to be the bread maker for Minelab so honestly it doesn't matter exactly how many they sell. It could target 1% or 3% but it doesn't matter. They will still make more money on X-Terra, not to mention their non-hobby related detectors. It's a bit like when some car manufacturer make a top model. Most people can't afford it or spend that kind of money on a car but it shows what they can do and matters for the prestige of the brand.

Actually detectors are a lot like cars when you think about it. Most cars will get you from A to B just like most detectors will find most of the same stuff. And still a lot of time is used on comparing detectors/cars. In cars some want good mileage, others comfort. In detectors some want depth, others recovery speed. And brand loyality is pretty strong in both cases but can be moved.

Minelab could care less.Prices go up just about every year. But they have great Technology.

woodchiphustler said:
Minelab could care less.Prices go up just about every year. But they have great Technology.

Well after being in retail for over 35 years I can attest that this statement is a fallacy. Manufacturers and retailers do care about rising prices, when the prices rise it shrinks their profit margin quite a bit. Rising costs to them for materials, R&D labor etc eat into that profit margin, they can not blindly raise the prices to cover all increase costs without costing them sales. This is especially true on high ticket items. For example we used to buy innertubes in large quantities for $1.00 now that entails buying in 1,000 pieces at a time, we routinely sold them for $4.00 a very good margin, when the prices went up to $1.25 we kept the price the same otherwise we would lose sales on them. High ticket items are even more crucial a percentage jump, that covers your cost of doing business, it is one thing on a low ticket item but entirely another on a high ticket item, it was not unusual for us to cut some of our margins, which where always higher on lower priced bicycles than higher priced ones anyway. The margins manufacturers and retailers make on high ticket items is much. much less than the general public thinks, you make more on the lower price items and that helps cover costs.

That was before they set up shop oversea. I agree with you. Its not the labor god knows their getting that cheap enough its the raw cost of material thats went sky high.

No...actually I think it's solely Minelab's pricing decision.....there isn't enough raw material in the machine to justify 'raw material pricing' as the reason for high price. Its not like outfitting a house with copper pipes vs PVC pipes. Now that is a significant material cost.
And the labor is cheaper since their move to Malaysia along with the manufacturing facility now being closer to Australia than the european based mfg facility. They are actually closer to their material suppliers now. Their R&D personnel probably work on salary which keeps costs constant over time. Nope, this is the price Minelab wants.

TerraDigger said:
No...actually I think it's solely Minelab's pricing decision.....there isn't enough raw material in the machine to justify 'raw material pricing' as the reason for high price. Its not like outfitting a house with copper pipes vs PVC pipes. Now that is a significant material cost.
And the labor is cheaper since their move to Malaysia along with the manufacturing facility now being closer to Australia than the european based mfg facility. They are actually closer to their material suppliers now. Their R&D personnel probably work on salary which keeps costs constant over time. Nope, this is the price Minelab wants.

My response was to the fact manufacturers and retailers care about increased pricing, think if they could sell this machine or an E-Trac for $800 and make a decent profit they would do it in a heart beat because the would make so much money they would not know what to do with it. They would not have a reason to double that price because in the long run they would make less.