Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New mode for the Learning the CTX programs.

harryhh

First off. The long information and instructions that went with the learning modes somehow disappeared. I have re-posted them. If you have taken a look at the learning modes, but didn’t download them because you couldn’t figure out what they were for, you might want to take another look. From the feedback I have gotten, they have helped people who are new to metal detecting, and detectorists who are just new to the CTX.

Now, if you have downloaded and used my search modes for learning the CTX, you may wish to know that I have added one more search mode to the program. It’s called ‘Beyond Training hh.’ It’s not a learning mode, but a ‘full fledged’ search mode that is a modification of CTX Training 4 and designed to compliment the learning modes.

If you have used CTX Training 4 and are familiar with it, you may want to use Beyond Training as a full fledged all round search mode.

If you want the mode, you will have to download CTX Training.mlf again. If you still have the other CTX Training.mlf on your computer, rename it to something like ‘Old CTX Training.mlf.’ Now you can download the new file.

Import the new file into Xchange 2 and copy Beyond Training hh into a collection. Once you are sure you have the new search mode you can delete all the modes you just imported because you should already have them there somewhere.

Harry

Hi Harry,
First I would like to say thanks for sharing your programs :thumbup:. As I have said before I use the Training 4 almost exclusively with a few tweaks to the tones for my hearing preference and have had great success with it. So, before I download the new and improved training programs, can you give a brief of the changes you made to create the "Beyond Training" program to make it a ‘full fledged’ search mode?
Thanks
Overvoltage

Hello Overvoltage,

Some good targets don't read near the FE 12 line. They can read with a higher FE number, or lower on the screen. Also, on some good targets the FE number can read scattered from near the 12 line down to as low as FE 26 on the screen. ( Or so I've read.) The FE number jumps up and down, and you get a somewhat vertical scattering of dots on the screen without building up a good solid dot around the FE 12 line. There are different reasons you might get a fluctuating FE number. The target may be deep and the detector is having trouble reading it. It can be as simple as the way the target lays in the ground. There may be some other interference.

If that vertical scattering of dots goes below the FE 26 line, there's a good chance that it is iron trash. If that scattering of dots doesn't go below the FE 26 line, say down to FE 20, then you might have a good target. I have set the FE line at 22 because as far as I can tell few good targets go below that. But, you can change that line to where you like. I would say anywhere from FE 18 to 26. Just remember to change the audio tone box accordingly. I like it about one notch below the FE number.

The final training program, CTX Training 4, while it is and can continue to be useful in itself, was still a closed off program and could miss the targets that fluctuate on the FE scale. Beyond Training is as stated a full fledged search mode and will pick up those fluctuating targets. There is a small change in the program in that it is set to Recovery Deep in order to stabilize better on deep targets, the main, and most important difference, is that it has a much wider FE range.

So, with the Beyond Training search mode, a full fledged search mode that doesn't miss much, watch for fluctuating FE numbers and dots that don't go quite as far down the screen as iron trash does. It just might be a good target. Also, watch for solid FE numbers and dots ranging anywhere from FE 14 to perhaps occasionally as low as FE 20.

(P.S. The other modes in the download are the same as the previous ones. The only new one is Beyond Training hh. But, you have to download the whole package to get it.)

Harry

Thank you Harry...you have removed a lot of the difficulty and mystery of using the 3030

Your instructions are very clear and explain every step perfectly...much better than what Minelab supplies with the machine, Thank you again

More thoughts on CTX Training 4 and Beyond Training.

While Beyond Training is a more broad and inclusive search mode, CTX Training 4 can’t be counted out. It is possible that CTX Training 4 might find you more good targets than Beyond Training. CTX Training 4 is a somewhat closed search program. It will find a little less trash and the audio and visual signals are a little easier to interpret. With CTX Training 4 you may spend less time digging trash, and less time trying to interpret iffy signals. Thereby allowing you to cover more ground in a given time and allowing you to find more good targets. While CTX Training 4 might pass over deep unstable targets, or other unstable targets, it will find the majority of stable targets of any depth.

Beyond Training will pick up on those more iffy signals, but the audio and visual signals will be more difficult to interpret. This is where your interpretation skills come in. Beyond Training will give a more thorough search of an area, but be more time consuming.

Conclusion:
CTX Training 4 ‘may’ actually find you more good finds in a given time. Beyond Training will do a more thorough search, but take more time and more interpretation skills. Both search modes have their uses.

Harry

Hello diggerdave605,

You can find the information about the learning programs and the download instructions here:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?87,2019302,2019302#msg-2019302

It is in the CTX Resource Center, so you have to be signed into the forum to read them.

The instructions are long, and a lot to read. They are intended to be informative about the learning programs. And, hopefully make it relatively easy for a new user to be able to get the programs downloaded and 'Imported' onto the XChange software. Once you have them imported into the XChange software, you can read the XChange manual on how to transfer the learning programs onto the ctx machine. Perhaps I should have included that in my instructions, but they are so long already. If you have trouble transferring the learning programs to your ctx, I'm sure you can find instructions here on the ctx forum. If not, make a new post.

While these programs can not teach you about the menu's and buttons of the ctx, they do make it easier to learn about the machine as you use the programs. Please be sure to read the ctx manual. More than once really. You certainly won't remember all that stuff, but it will give you a very good beginning. From there you can read the portions of the manual as you need to, to brush up on things.

The ctx is complicated. But, I liked it because it can do many things automatically. These programs can not teach you the menu's on the ctx, or which buttons do what. You need to read the manual for that. But, these learning programs do help to 'stabilize' the machine. Particularly the first one, CTX Training 1. This helps to keep one from being so confused by the machine and allows you to learn about the menu's and buttons in a more relaxed manor.

To start with, you don't need to transfer all of the learning programs onto your ctx. But, do transfer CTX Training 1. It is by far the easiest to start learning the ctx.

I have used minelabs for over 20 years, including the explorer....I do mostly beach hunting so I usually use an excalibur ....I had waterproofed the Explorer, but it was a pain in the neck to use that way

I only mention this because I, too , recently got a 3030, and found the instructions to be impossible to follow....that Explorer was the most similar to the ctx, also difficult to figure out....I don't know how long you have been detecting, or how familiar you are with minelab and their BBS vs FBS lines of detectors

I found the machine, particularly because of the instructions to be ridiculously difficult to even turn on...this guy harryh really helped me...he sent me over 20 emails in one weekend to instruct me......without him I would have smashed the machine to bits, I had gotten so frustrated

If you just come to realize that the machine can be used by just turning it on and then choosing whch hunting "mode" you want ...you are ready to go...no need for customized programs and all that....as you use the machine you will be able to figure out the sophisticated stufff...if you want to...you don't really need it to use the machine and find good, deep targets..

I thought that I could not use it because I could not download the "xchange"....I tried it in "coin" in my yard and was still having some difficulty because of overhead wires, that caused erratic behavior........harryh walked me through downloading the xchange and then his training "modes"., and
how to get them into the machine...it is really very easy, although the minelab instructions make it seem like you are programming a computer to build rockets......I tried the first one (training mode) out in my yard again and the machine ran smooth as silk...I went to the beach with the machine and ran it in "beach"...nobody else was finding anything....I was digging out targets at a foot deep....again it ran smooth as can be...when I had waterproofed the explorer it was deep, but at the expense of many, many false signals, that I do not seem to experience with the 3030....I was ready to throw the machine out in the road and run it over with my truck, I had been so frustrated, but it really is not as hard to use as the instructions would have you think....I could not decipher them at all...don't be afraid to email harry...he is a saint and, although I don't think he uses the machine that much, he seems to know how to get the msost out of the machine, better than anyone and the way he explains things is so easy to understand.....you can call Minelab and they can tell you how it works....but harry can tell you how to use it effectively....good luck and happy hunting...