Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New pinpoint technique

Mcdetect

I've added a new (but old) pinpointing technique to my arsenal when hunting with the etrac. I used to run an old Whites machine and this technique comes from the manual for that machine. The technique is to, in normal hunting mode (not pinpoint mode), make an X over the target...by first swinging in one direction and noting the exact spot, really line (along the center bar of the coil), where the signal occurs, then turning 90 degrees and swinging along that line to determine the point on the line where the signal occurs in the other direction. The object will be located exactly under that spot. Sometimes I'll repeat the process more than once for tricky signals.

I've had really good accuracy using this technique with the etrac..in fact better than when i use (normal) pinpoint mode where I tend to end up with the object in or near the side of the hole towards me which increases my chances of scratching it. I also use this technique in trashy areas where other nearby objects are throwing off my pinpointing.

I am aware of the wiggle method and also use that at times but the X method is becoming my go-to method. Note that you can use the X method while in pinpoint mode as well...which many of us appear to do based on some of the youtube videos I've watched of etrac hunters in action.

HH!

That would be.."new to YOU"...before DD coils that's the way it was always done. It's THE way to ensure the target is staying in one place if you think there's iron involved...

My main point is that you use normal hunting mode to do this (not pinpoint mode). It is a great way to locate a target when pinpoint mode is getting confused by surrounding discriminated objects. I was surprised at the accuracy of this method. It is similar to the wiggle method but just simply uses a different coil motion to locate the target. Try it...you might just like it.

The x is the only way I use ....rarely ever use the pin point button ..but once you do the x ..find the spot ,then maybe use the button to see if it draws you away from the spot...if so then the spot it drew you to is iron and your spot may be a reflection from that iron off the edge of your coil ...giving you a false reading on your spot.....if so then go on....

If it's iron falsing when you are using the x method the signal won't sound in exactly the same spot either when you turn 90 degrees or even sometimes before you turn. As you mention it's nice not having to hit the pinpoint button. One less reason to look at the screen. But when using the x method you do need to look at the screen for depth since you can't rely on pinpoint tone for that.

Also the x method does not work well for surface items, at least for me, since when the machine is sounding 3 times on every pass it can get confusing.

Mcdetect said:
I've added a new (but old) pinpointing technique to my arsenal when hunting with the etrac. I used to run an old Whites machine and this technique comes from the manual for that machine. The technique is to, in normal hunting mode (not pinpoint mode), make an X over the target...by first swinging in one direction and noting the exact spot, really line (along the center bar of the coil), where the signal occurs, then turning 90 degrees and swinging along that line to determine the point on the line where the signal occurs in the other direction. The object will be located exactly under that spot. Sometimes I'll repeat the process more than once for tricky signals.

I've had really good accuracy using this technique with the etrac..in fact better than when i use (normal) pinpoint mode where I tend to end up with the object in or near the side of the hole towards me which increases my chances of scratching it. I also use this technique in trashy areas where other nearby objects are throwing off my pinpointing.

I am aware of the wiggle method and also use that at times but the X method is becoming my go-to method. Note that you can use the X method while in pinpoint mode as well...which many of us appear to do based on some of the youtube videos I've watched of etrac hunters in action.

HH!

*************************​

Hi there!

As IDX said....'Its always been done that way'......especially if it's deep......it's the correct way.....BUT

It does NOT necessarily indicate the CORRECT location of a coin if its 'seriously' tending to being 'on-edge' ..AND THAT'S A FACT.

Criss-cross and the if that point is consistent....yes your on-the-money; but if the point differs, then it's more often 'on-edge'...you cannot be certain of its exact position.

Other close targets will confuse....

Hope that helps......matt

p.s. You didn't mention which pin-point mode you used/preferred....NORMAL or SIZING ?

I've used both sizing and normal pinpoint settings. I prefer normal currently.

Are you saying that pinpoint mode is not thrown off by a coin on edge? My experience has been that on edge coins don't pinpoint accurately regardless of mode...normal hunting or pinpoint.

Also another benefit of the x method is that the depth meter seems to be more accurate when sweeping the coil in normal hunting mode. In pinpoint mode the depth meter tends to jump around a lot...at least on my machine. This may be due to the sensitivity auto adjusting in normal pinpoint mode.