Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New saltwater Detector

That’s why I have all three... but have to admit I rarely use the other two
I bet you have a lot more than 100 hours now on the MDT.
How would you compare the learning curve with respect to the learning curve for the Excal and NOX?

First time I've heard of the MDT.........what's it's depth like in comparison to a pi.

First time I've heard of the MDT.........what's it's depth like in comparison to a pi.
Posts elsewhere indicate they are deep ... but probably not quite as deep as a high output power PI is.

I hope dewcon follows up with more. Dew, as he noted, has relegated his Excal to a position of closet queen.

Example of depth...... we did test near the salt water with both the Nox and Xcal on a 3 gram ring with water in the hole. The Nox would hit that ring at about 12" the MDT 14". IN THE WATER.... the Nox hit it at 10" but the MDT was still about 14". Learning curve .... yes its a little tricky ... but most find it interesting and fun to learn. You never get that feeling that you loose depth. It tends to upscale trash. IE..... pull tab at say 6" will read 6...... but that same pull tab at 10 may jump to mid 20s. To put that in perspective ..... a quarter is 21ish and a penny is 13. Ive got a LOT of time on all three of these machine.... so to answer the question the MDT isnt perfect its got a smaller button to go to disc than id like. The screen can be jumpy running it hot like i do...... which requires coil control/wiggle over found targets. It will ID iron pretty well at the same depth in both disc and AM...... IF you learn what its telling you. I used the explorer for many years dirt digging...... id say the learning curve to get best out of it is like that. Im told the new round 12" may net us another couple of inches. Thats pretty huge since IMO all things become about equal IN the salt water with most VLFs ive used. Will it compete with a PI ... hear id say only the TDI or AQ may get better depth...... but i give the advantage still to the MDT with its tones and TID screen which reduces the need to dig everything..... expecially at the depth many say the get with these two machines. Since its kind of a relic machine turned beach machine..... it handles difficult sand and salt well. I sold 2 Xcals once i learned this machine..... BUT i know most machines will be compared to the Xcal for water hunting..... so i kept a BLUE. Theres no BEST water machine. Most find the machine that suits them personally and the learn it..... making it an even better machine. Im not a real fan of the tones...... those pings and pongs are pretty percise. I prefer a longer tone. I hunt in AM so to me this machine is just pure power. I dare say if we get 2" on that 12" coil it will compete with both those PI machines...... at least hear in FL and we wont have to pick and choose our hunting location. I got the Nox early.... and was one of the first to get a pair of waterproof phones. The first year i put nearly 1000 hours on it .... so i put in the time. I didnt have a huge issue learning any of these 3 machines..... but the MDT has some awkwardness about it like finding that button with the screen underwater lol. But its a very KISS machine.... doesnt take long to learn what works and what doesnt, what you like and what you dont. Is it worth twice the price of the Nox...... thats a decision one always makes based on the info you get during your research..... will it pay for its self.... all water machines do.

Last edited:
Reactions: tvr
Great info......thanks the detailed write up.This is the first detector that's sparked my interest for a while......I think I may give it a go,

Great info this is an interesting detector but they dont seem to sell them here in the uk....
There is at least one person in the UK posting on a forum about Tarsacci MDT 8000 results. Go to the Tarsacci web site and hit the "contact us" link if you want to ask about getting one over there.