Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"New" Sovereign on the way

What about this one ?

Blimey,thats expensive,if i buy that with added shipping costs etc it will be a fortune.Maybe i'll take a chance on a sharpshooter instead.I wonder why the price has taken such a hike,mine was fairly cheap in comparison to other coils when i bought one.......maybe scarcity has pushed the price up. I'm going to put out the feelers for a good used one......it's the best coil i've ever used.

Blimey,thats expensive,if i buy that with added shipping costs etc it will be a fortune.Maybe i'll take a chance on a sharpshooter instead.I wonder why the price has taken such a hike,mine was fairly cheap in comparison to other coils when i bought one.......maybe scarcity has pushed the price up. I'm going to put out the feelers for a good used one......it's the best coil i've ever used.
So that's the one ?
The best coil you've ever used on the Sovereign ?
I've read some guys love the 6" Coiltek.

Yes bud.......it went on and never came off.It was virtually as deep as the stock 10"tornado,much better on the trashy ancient sites and pinpointed like a dream.Nice and light too.I could run mine at quite high sensitivity which probably accounted for it being virtually as deep as the 10" tornado.
I've just contacted one of our main dealers to see if they can get me one and i'm going to contact a really good second hand dealer over here also to see if he can find one.
I used this coil as a replacement "standard" coil which it excels at.......there are definately coils that may do better in ultra trashy areas like the nel snake because of their small physical size.Also the reverse.....there will be deeper coils because of there larger size......i wouldn't use the joey as a dedicated beach coil for instance,or a dedicated trash hunter but because it was really good at everything i know its the sort of coil that will keep your finds rate high.
I'm now looking for another GT too so i can have one for the beach and one for inland searching.....won't have to keep swapping coils then lol.
Let us know what you think of the snake.👍

Yes bud.......it went on and never came off.It was virtually as deep as the stock 10"tornado,much better on the trashy ancient sites and pinpointed like a dream.Nice and light too.I could run mine at quite high sensitivity which probably accounted for it being virtually as deep as the 10" tornado.
I've just contacted one of our main dealers to see if they can get me one and i'm going to contact a really good second hand dealer over here also to see if he can find one.
I used this coil as a replacement "standard" coil which it excels at.......there are definately coils that may do better in ultra trashy areas like the nel snake because of their small physical size.Also the reverse.....there will be deeper coils because of there larger size......i wouldn't use the joey as a dedicated beach coil for instance,or a dedicated trash hunter but because it was really good at everything i know its the sort of coil that will keep your finds rate high.
I'm now looking for another GT too so i can have one for the beach and one for inland searching.....won't have to keep swapping coils then lol.
Let us know what you think of the snake.👍
Absolutely.

Hi stateguyt,
I don't know what the mod was,i thought it may have been on the report but he may be keeping it close to his chest.I air tested the machine when i got it back and it was very encouraging but i need to do some proper testing before i know if its made any significant difference.
I hunt mainly on the beaches so i will take some US coinage down with me and do some proper measured depth tests.Once i have the results i will post them as i never post results from measured air tests because they don't give accurate results.

Hi stateguyt,
I don't know what the mod was,i thought it may have been on the report but he may be keeping it close to his chest.I air tested the machine when i got it back and it was very encouraging but i need to do some proper testing before i know if its made any significant difference.
I hunt mainly on the beaches so i will take some US coinage down with me and do some proper measured depth tests.Once i have the results i will post them as i never post results from measured air tests because they don't give accurate results.
Happily awaiting your posts.

There was a mod done years ago after the Sovereigns came out as one dealer was doing it and claimed to have better depth and was silent search.
I had it done on one of the XS I had and I switched it back to the original setting. The reason I found the tones were harder to tell as it was set max tones which was hard to tell the close tones of the trash versa good targets, the silent search I too didnt like as I like hearing the signal tones so I know if I am swinging too fast or not. At the time I didnt see why anyone would want this if looking for the deep signal that are iffy. After I got my GT which has a toggle switch to go to or out of silent search I seen where this can be good as I run in silent search in area with a lot of iron as the threshold will be nulling a lot and when the threshold came back it was a growl which got aggravating after a while. When I started geeting deeper signals I run with the threshold so could hear the deeper iffy signals. I am sure everyone has their own way they learned to use there Sovereigns, but I found I learned mine this way and like it.
Anyway back to the mod I checked mine out before the mod with air test and in the ground test on coins in my test garden before it was sent in so I could see what difference it made and then when I got it back and for me the tones I notice right away they were not as nice as before and also my deeper coins that just gave a slight squeak I no longer could hear them. Took it in the field for a day or so and switch it back to original setting. For my type of hunting I didnt like the mods, but some may like them depending on how you detect. My way I always went real slow and listen to all the tones and worked many of them to find some real deep coins.
It may just be my way I detect with the Sovereigns, could be I can hear the tones better as I am very hard of hearing as I never could do as well with the Explorer as I could with the Sovereigns.

I just thought I would let you all know what I feel about the mod I got done to my Sovereign, maybe there are different mods being done that what I done.

Rick

20220226_185846.jpg
Well there she is.....ready to go for the first time tomorrow.After having to have it repaired,waiting for the storms to subside and getting time from work,im going to the beach in the morning.Our beach is totally dead at the moment but i don't care if all i find is a ringpull.....getting out by the sea will make it worth it.

View attachment 23592
Well there she is.....ready to go for the first time tomorrow.After having to have it repaired,waiting for the storms to subside and getting time from work,im going to the beach in the morning.Our beach is totally dead at the moment but i don't care if all i find is a ringpull.....getting out by the sea will make it worth it.
Have You tried hip mount or bagging the control box?
I can't handle swinging it with the box on.

20220227_120517.jpg
Well i'm back from a two hour session at the beach and this is the result.Usual ally trash,then i thought i'd hit gold with the tube type fitting....about 10 minutes later i'd pulled up my first gold of the year.Yes its only a thin wedding band but i'm well happy...the beach is really quiet but there is still gold to be found which is encouraging
Loved getting out with a Sov again and the Nel Thunder coil is great...really stable,even with the sensitivity up to the 10 o clock position and very easy to pinpoint with.
Can't wait to get back out there now....why does work always get in the way.

View attachment 23600
Well i'm back from a two hour session at the beach and this is the result.Usual ally trash,then i thought i'd hit gold with the tube type fitting....about 10 minutes later i'd pulled up my first gold of the year.Yes its only a thin wedding band but i'm well happy...the beach is really quiet but there is still gold to be found which is encouraging
Loved getting out with a Sov again and the Nel Thunder coil is great...really stable,even with the sensitivity up to the 10 o clock position and very easy to pinpoint with.
Can't wait to get back out there now....why does work always get in the way.

Awesome
Congratulations on the ring.
Around here I'm lucky to find one a year.

20220302_222437.jpg
Went for a few hours last night and pulled this up.....only silver but at least its a ring.Two rings in two outings with the Sov but both were quite shallow which was surprising.Going out again Friday to a different beach so i'm hoping it could be three in a row.🙂

Bummer... sorry to hear about your ordeal. Its rare but also I've been burnt on two ebay purchases over the last 20 years and it sucks. Just out of curiosity what was the sellers feedback rating? I have yet to get burnt when the seller has a feedback score of 100%. If I were you I'd take a photo of the repair bill and send it along with a message (via ebays message center) and politely ask if the seller if he would please consider some type of restitution to offset your expense. Worse case he says no but you can have the satisfaction of leaving him some negative feedback.

I hate to admit it in this forum but back in 2005 I purchased a brand new GT from Minelab because it looked like my company was going to lay me off. I figured I'd better buy it while I still had money coming in. Ironically not only did I not get laid off but I got super busy working 12 hour days and ended up working for them another 10 years until I retired. When I wasn't working all my free time went to doing a major remodel of our house - NET- No time for detecting [sigh] Sad to say but to this day the GT has never left the closet in our spare bedroom. I check the forum from time to time just to make sure its still a popular detector albeit discontinued. After seeing your post I went in and checked on mine. I was disappointed to find the cable sheathing on the included Tornado 1000 Coil has dry rotted and cracked in multiple places (figuring I can cut the cable near the coil leaving enough wire exposed to stagger the spices and reuse 6 pin connector from the free end. Anyway... after reading that your repair center put a "little mod" on your GT unit it got me to thinking, was wondering if after sitting iin a closet for the last 17 years if any of you GT owners reading this think in would be beneficial for me to send my unit to Minelab for a tune up? firmware update, and/or possible mod?
I would.
Maybe they can repair the coil as well.
Get some new rechargeable batteries and at least one that takes AA's.
Great machine.
Larger and smaller coil are definitely a good thing.
Now that you're retired.
You plenty of time to get to know it.
Good Luck
Let us know how it goes.

View attachment 23592
I just noticed.
No meter ?
Do you not like them ?
I have the 500 meter.
Am I tuning it right ?
I set it to 500 on a silver half.
I really haven't found very much info on the meters other than a 180 conversion.
And I'm not sure if I really want to do that.
Or should I ?

20220304_153025.jpg20220304_153230.jpg
Back today with a small gold star pendant.On the front is some sort of mother of pearl.....quite a pretty object.Thats three trips with the Sov with one gold ring,one silver ring and now this.All the objects were found at shallow depths.