Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New tactics for iron

[quote DonNWF]

Results - Iron null - broken signal, good signal mix
.In the real world I would be on this one like a cat on a mouse.
[/quote]

You and me both Don,what sounded like iron to me in the first few months with the GT now sounds like "dig me" !!

As you have seen there is that little hint of a good signal, then wiggle over it and chance are it will get better if wiggled only over that small area.
I am sure if the iron is big and the coin is small it probably wont see it as good, but going real slow can do wonders in separating.

Thanks for your reply.
One I cant coment to much on, as ALL my tests have been with a double D coil (like most use)

I will say however, (and check the date of the post on this link) I have allways wondered what a concentric coil would work like on a Sov

http://thunting.com/geotech/forums/showthread.php?t=13971

http://www.minelabowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17350

Hi Piero

My test using your criteria as well as my experience with my concentric coil .pretty much disproves your GEOTECH reply as far as I'm concerned. .Does this mean that I will get similar results under all hunt conditions, Of course not.. I'm sure you would agree that target depth and ground conditions effect the hunt.. I don't do much testing and air testing is suspect from the gitgo, ., however , after hitting a really trashy iron site I started thinking of a smaller coil for my GT to get some target separation. I did an in ground test using the 10in Tornado. I buried iron nails at the same depth as a quarter (about 8 inches) and on the same level.and less than a coil distance away. This is what happened..

If I swung so that the nails hit first, no matter how slow the sweep - I got an iron null and the quarter gave no signal.. The return tone gave no clue on the quarter. If I swung the coil at the same speed so the quarter hit first the signal still nulled as soon as the iron was under the coil. If I slowed my sweep speed way down and moved the coil over the quarter first, I got a short coin broken signal followed by the iron null as soon as the nails got the hot spot.
I scrubbed the grund in this test. But in real hunting I try anything.

As a result I got a 5inch coil and then the 8inch concentric. The 10 in is good on the beach and I use it to check out sites. With a lot of iron it comes off. .. With the right coils the GT will do the job. and with a reasonably fast swing.. .

To say the GT is only good as a beach machine is an assumtion I.m not willing to accept

I like my BigMac with cheese.. Sometimes I get fries.. Whatever I get it satisfies. Disc me out.:cool:

Stick to your guns if you will, but be it at YOUR loss.

even at your own admision, the sov nulls next to iron.

with the sov, you need to do SO MUCH, for it to stand half a chance at working near iron.

If your happy to go slow, and as a result cover very little ground, also (and most inprotantly) MISS targets as you have swung from left to right, and needed to swing from right to left, but could not have possible know, as the sov is just nulling, you carry on.

all I will say is if we ever meet in the feild, be very prepared to be selling your sov atfer I show you what an other detector can do.

I wont be posting any more on this topic, as you all (bar uk andy) seen to have you head stuck in the sand.

mappy hunting although I dont think you will fing much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As we know the Sovereign is not as good in freshly buried target as it don't like air and there will be some. In real targets hunting where they have been buried for a while it will do better. I feel if this was the case you would have done better on your test.
What it all comes down too is we know what this detector will do in iron if you know your Sovereign and go slow in these area if you want the good targets. The proof is in the finds we get in these areas. I am sure we miss some good target too with the iron masking, but unless you want to dig all iron it will happen with any detector.
I am happy with the way mine works in iron and I am sure others are too.