Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Tesoro or AT pro? Help.

:Left4Dead

Ok guys I finally have some cash. I know, thats rare for me. I have a Cibola and a Compadre. Love them both. Looking to add another one. What are your opinion on the AT pro vs another new tesoro.

I like the water proof idea.
GB
Also tones

price range 600.00

If I asked this question in the Garrett section you know the responses I would get. Tesoro users are very smart.:)

Mike

You hopefully will not get any biased opinions on this forum.........:rofl:

I vote for the Tiger Shark if you want waterproof, just look up Habenero's post on the AT forum.

Hot pepper is having trouble in the water.Falsing in the fresh water.I was thinking of one but i am just getting another vaquero.I need my vaquero back to feel whole again.But really i have looked at the Atpro but there is some issues,depth,falsing.I like the minelab 705 also but i am going to build up on some more Tesoro stuff first then i might test the other waters. :-D

When choosing a detector, start off by trying to find any issue or defects, problems found by other owners of the detector.

I did that for the AT Pro, and oops, it made me decide to go for a Compadre instead. I actually found those post on this forum area. It's really the best way to make sure you are not getting a problem product as I call them.

I was kind of hoping for some really biased opinions . I really do like tesoro for many reasons, but mainly they just flat out work great. Had a shark, nice but quite heavy. Still really wanting a golden, the depth drop off can't be that much? Vs my cibola. Inch or 2.

Mike

I am a freshwater hunter and have owned the AT Pro. It is really sensitive and finds small gold and chains like the Tiger Shark. My issue with the AT Pro was a leaking problem in 4 foot of water(should be good to 10 foot). It was repaired under warranty, but after I never sumerged it like I did before. I had a Tiger Shark before that and thought the AT Pro would be a better machine. To make a long story short.....I have since then sold the AT Pro and have a new Tiger Shark and Sand Shark on the way to me. The Tiger is a well made waterproof machine and the AT Pro has a toyish look for a waterproof machine. The Tiger also goes to 200 feet deep....don't try that with the AT Pro. Tesoros lifetime warranty is a big plus also compared to the AT Pros 2 year warranty.

JMHO,,,,,, But you be the judge.

Well, others have already chimed in and also mentioned my plight as well. I have had the luxury of trying them both, although only one water hunt with the AT Pro so I have not put my time in yet on it for extensive water hunting. Depends on what exactly you want to do really. If you want a lake machine only then hands down I would go Tiger Shark. If you want to do both land and water then there is one obvious choice IMHO. I have tried the Tiger Shark on land but I like to at least have tones on my park hunting machine but that's just my cup of tea.

I have difficulty holding the AT Pro down once I get deep enough to submerge the control box as the machine is light and seems to have a little buoyancy to it whereas the Tiger has enough heft to stay down. The AT Pro has slightly more drag on it as you scan while in the water than the Tiger. Like Lake Hunter said, warranties are miles apart on the difference. In the same lake I hunted last summer, the Tiger was very quiet unless I had a good target according to my settings of discrimination whereas the AT Pro was constantly sounding off with some kind of chatter or falsing on each swing.

Now, I am not giving up on the AT Pro as my goal at this point was to have a more flexible detector but could afford only one, hence the AT Pro. I'm gonna try to get the issues I am having with the AT Pro solved if possible so don't take any of this as me bashing the Garrett machine, just my observations so far. Do I miss my Tiger Shark? Heck yes I do and unless something new and improved comes out that might sway me or I move closer to the ocean, I will be saving my pennies for another Tiger Shark.

I am also not trying to bash garrett units...just my personal experiences are what I stated.

Had the AT Pro and found it to be a deep seeker in my test garden and in the field. It couldn't be out done by my Safari in the soil we have here. I never used mine in water though my friend used his in water. The stock coil is nose heavy though not much. Reason is to stop the buoyancy. He didn't seem to have a floating concern mentioned. It was great in an iron laden environment. Fast recovery and super separation. That is why I had it. Found quite a few coins next to nails and in yards with high iron content. I found that while you could find jewelry with it the TID was hardly ever stable. The Pro mode tones didn't agree with my ears and changing hunting style. Did like the Iron audio. Rarely dug a bottle cap with it. While only a 2 year warranty if anything is going to go wrong it should happen in that time for the most part. They have great customer service and work hard to keep that going. Due to the Digger show there has been a larger than normal demand but they are out there and keeps the resale value up if you shouldn't like it.

I can't comment on the models you're looking at, but I sold my AT pro that I had for about a year after getting a used Eldorado and later found the AT pro sitting. Excellent detector in all regards the ATP was, I just thought it's language was more chattery than it should be even after setting the thing up. When I sold it the sneaky craigslist buyer I met at a credit union buried a few coins for me to find as a test.... :rofl:

Wraytex said:
I can't comment on the models you're looking at, but I sold my AT pro that I had for about a year after getting a used Eldorado and later found the AT pro sitting. Excellent detector in all regards the ATP was, I just thought it's language was more chattery than it should be even after setting the thing up. When I sold it the sneaky craigslist buyer I met at a credit union buried a few coins for me to find as a test.... :rofl:

That great, show me it works mister , before I buy it. That's classic. Good to know you don't miss it. I really hate chattery detectors anyway.

Mike

You aren't selling your Tesoros - give the AT Pro a whirl if you want, you've got plenty of backup if things don't turn out well.

FWIW, I am leaning towards the xterra 705. It weighs less and has a lot more granularity in notches. It also has more options for tones. If I water hunt, it will be with a dedicated unit that won't make me nervous :)

I am sure you will get the same unbiased opinions on this forum as you would get by asking the same question on the AT forum.
I had the AT-pro for about 2 years,it started to leak after about 4 hours,sent it back to Garrett worked ok for about 6 months started
leaking again sent it back they fixed it ,then got to the point it would not GB sent it back they fixed it.....
I did not like how it felt in the water with the stock coil,it was like pushing a 2x6 board,I did not like the audio
I did find a lot of gold with it had good depth but it was not for me so I went back to a Tiger and have not regretted it.
But that is why they make so many metal detectors some like one thing some like some thing else.If you do get an AT good luck

pulltaber said:
I am sure you will get the same unbiased opinions on this forum as you would get by asking the same question on the AT forum.
I had the AT-pro for about 2 years,it started to leak after about 4 hours,sent it back to Garrett worked ok for about 6 months started
leaking again sent it back they fixed it ,then got to the point it would not GB sent it back they fixed it.....
I did not like how it felt in the water with the stock coil,it was like pushing a 2x6 board,I did not like the audio
I did find a lot of gold with it had good depth but it was not for me so I went back to a Tiger and have not regretted it.
But that is why they make so many metal detectors some like one thing some like some thing else.If you do get an AT good luck

My experiences exactly minus the problems you have had unless mine is actually showing symptoms of something going haywire. :confused: I like the description of pushing a 2x6 board through the water; it's more like pushing a 2x2 through the water with the Tiger Shark. Something I want to stress though is if you get over waist deep, as in the water where both control boxes are submerged. They both become harder to swing or "push" through the water because of the extra drag of the control boxes. The difference is the Tiger Shark want to sink or stay down on the bottom where it should be because of extra weight. The AT Pro, I felt like I was pushing it down; I felt this more while I was holding down the pinpoint button to pin point using that feature. I also could not help myself but I kept wanting to pick the AT Pro up to see where it was pin pointing using the strength bar as well as look at the numerical read out causing me some frustration. That, on top on the tendency to want to float a little bit, I just stayed in the area where the control box stayed above the water level or just enough to read the face. I know many push the AT Pro as a light machine as a great feature and reason to buy and this is true if you are on land hunting parks or whatnot. However, if you are primarily in the water then lightweight is not your friend and actually makes you work harder. This goes the same for the Tiger Shark in reverse. It's heavier weight allows better control in the water but on land it's not a credit. The simplicity also keeps me from trying to look at a screen or pin point meter so that's a plus when I'm well over my waist in water. I don't mean to sound anti-AT Pro and I'm not, just pointing out some honest disadvantages since I have used it. I originally wanted a flexible machine and have found that in the AT Pro but now if I could have two detectors then I would leave the AT Pro on land and get another Tiger Shark. Both are excellent detectors and don't want to steer you away from one or the other. If I were you and did now know better, I would see which advice and information was matching up with the majority of users from both detectors and make my decision based upon what your primary use would be.

AT Pro advantages:

Land and shallow water use capabilities
3 tones
depth reading
pin point
light weight
Numerical target indicator
Notching
Decent depth on air tests if that's your thing

Disadvantages:

Only waterproof to 10' so no diving
hard to swing in the water
slightly buoyant (floating feel)
2 yr warranty
*per my experience so far, some falsing or picking up of mineralization in my local lake. Probably an isolated event due to some mineralization or something wrong with my particular unit.

Land rating: (0-10) 9
Water rating: 5

Tiger Shark Advantages:

easier to swing through the water
quieter running-less falsing
does not feel like ti wants to float-easier to control in the water
simple beep and dig depending on discrimination level.
200ft depth rating
lifetime warranty

Disadvantages:

Heavy on land
single tone
no pin point button
no numerical target read out
controls such as volume & sensitivity on inside of control box
Does not air test well, but ground performance is much better.

Land use rating (0-10) 4
Water use rating: 10 (freshwater)

There are more pro's and con's that can be mentioned and what is an advantage in my opinion may be a disadvantage in someone elses. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps you out though and you cannot go wrong with either one depending on your primary use and what you will let "slide by" in features and/or performance.

Habanero said:
*per my experience so far, some falsing or picking up of mineralization in my local lake. Probably an isolated event due to some mineralization or something wrong with my particular unit.

:stretcher:Habanero,that's the way it will sound when they start to leak .doses is do it all the time or just in the water? If you shake it and it falses then it is the coil, if it just doses it in the water it has leak,if it is ground mineralization,try to gb at waters edge and see if it falses.Next time you go to the lake try this stand it with coil up for a few days any water will show up between face plate and led screen.

The tiger shark is extremely light on land. HIP MOUNT it! It has a belt clip on the back side. Tesoro also makes a hip mount pouch that works for the tiger shark and lobo.

Habanero said:
pulltaber said:

My experiences exactly minus the problems you have had unless mine is actually showing symptoms of something going haywire. :confused: I like the description of pushing a 2x6 board through the water; it's more like pushing a 2x2 through the water with the Tiger Shark. Something I want to stress though is if you get over waist deep, as in the water where both control boxes are submerged. They both become harder to swing or "push" through the water because of the extra drag of the control boxes. The difference is the Tiger Shark want to sink or stay down on the bottom where it should be because of extra weight. The AT Pro, I felt like I was pushing it down; I felt this more while I was holding down the pinpoint button to pin point using that feature. I also could not help myself but I kept wanting to pick the AT Pro up to see where it was pin pointing using the strength bar as well as look at the numerical read out causing me some frustration. That, on top on the tendency to want to float a little bit, I just stayed in the area where the control box stayed above the water level or just enough to read the face. I know many push the AT Pro as a light machine as a great feature and reason to buy and this is true if you are on land hunting parks or whatnot. However, if you are primarily in the water then lightweight is not your friend and actually makes you work harder. This goes the same for the Tiger Shark in reverse. It's heavier weight allows better control in the water but on land it's not a credit. The simplicity also keeps me from trying to look at a screen or pin point meter so that's a plus when I'm well over my waist in water. I don't mean to sound anti-AT Pro and I'm not, just pointing out some honest disadvantages since I have used it. I originally wanted a flexible machine and have found that in the AT Pro but now if I could have two detectors then I would leave the AT Pro on land and get another Tiger Shark. Both are excellent detectors and don't want to steer you away from one or the other. If I were you and did now know better, I would see which advice and information was matching up with the majority of users from both detectors and make my decision based upon what your primary use would be.

AT Pro advantages:

Land and shallow water use capabilities
3 tones
depth reading
pin point
light weight
Numerical target indicator
Notching
Decent depth on air tests if that's your thing

Disadvantages:

Only waterproof to 10' so no diving
hard to swing in the water
slightly buoyant (floating feel)
2 yr warranty

Land rating: (0-10) 9
Water rating: 5

Tiger Shark Advantages:

easier to swing through the water
quieter running-less falsing
does not feel like ti wants to float-easier to control in the water
simple beep and dig depending on discrimination level.
200ft depth rating
lifetime warranty

Disadvantages:

Heavy on land
single tone
no pin point button
no numerical target read out
controls such as volume & sensitivity on inside of control box
Does not air test well, but ground performance is much better.

Land use rating (0-10) 4
Water use rating: 10 (freshwater)

There are more pro's and con's that can be mentioned and what is an advantage in my opinion may be a disadvantage in someone elses. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps you out though and you cannot go wrong with either one depending on your primary use and what you will let "slide by" in features and/or performance.

Amazing post!, thank you so much!

pulltaber said:
Habanero said:

:stretcher:Habanero,that's the way it will sound when they start to leak .doses is do it all the time or just in the water? If you shake it and it falses then it is the coil, if it just doses it in the water it has leak,if it is ground mineralization,try to gb at waters edge and see if it falses.Next time you go to the lake try this stand it with coil up for a few days any water will show up between face plate and led screen.

Say it ain't so Pulltaber! :cry: Let's hope not anway; I have been watching to see if the face shows signs of fogging up or not. Nothing so far but that does not mean there isn't a leak. By the way, it only does it in the water and yes if I'm in the water or on land and shake it, it does false but that could be the coil wire slapping the pole as it's only wound around but not taped or velcroed down.