Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to hunting down info

JOSHUAWCOLVEY

I am rather new to finding information along with what to look for when looking for new places to hunt. Do you guys just look for old looking houses and locations. I was not raised where i live so knowing about old places that have been torn down is a little hard to come by.

Thanks

New to this technology, so do you just Google one up on the interweb for your area, or is it a research at the library thing.

The library may have some but you can also buy them. I used to buy mine from a local surveying company

Hi Josh, As long as you are going to be looking for old houses, why not go all the way and start at your local Library and look for the History and "oldest" historic places that can possibly also be found on those TOPO's if you learn how to look for them. Land records(BLO) can show you dates of who lived where and when and legal land descriptions can show you their locations on the TOPO's. Got Rivers, old roads? Check Historic Maps for old Ferry Crossings, and Roads and High Grounds for camp sites during high water stages when folks would have been waiting for the water to go down . Historic Aerials will show old roads and even Anomalies /outlines of all manner of land disturbances, and folage where people were living and doing stuff. That's just some of the things you can tune in to. Read your local history and you will be surprised what turns up to help you find some good detecting spots. Most all Libraries, even in small towns take pride in their Local Histories and have a pretty good supply of whatever there is to be had on hand and are glad to help folks with it. Once you get into it if will become second nature and you will enjoy the research almost as much as the digging! HH, Charlie