Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to the DFX

Fletch88

I ran across a deal on a DFX that I just could not refuse. I like tinkering with settings and from what I understand this is that type machine! I mainly wanted it for jewelry hunting after reading some of the responses about how good a jewelry machine it is! The machine does not come with a coil but I have a 950 to go on it. I understand many like the 6x10 eclipse on the DFX.

Yes, the 6x10 is best for hunting in non beach env, especially moderate trash.
950 is the go to beach coil
Try and find a Digging Deeper with the DFX book, it will get you up to speed much faster than playing around. Once you understand the interactions of the setting and find a config that you like ( how the machine provides data) such as Tone ID, Normalization on or off (off best for jewelry and since you are not a whites guy you don't already have the old VID scale memorized) VCO on, Mixed mode or not depending on trash level, theshold volume, etc etc..
There are only a couple of things that will need to change due to site conditions.
The book will make the learning and the how and why much faster but they are hard to come by.
Have fun!

PS. I see there is a DDwtDFX in the classified acc forum for $13

I had a DFX for 6 years, it is helpless in the dense iron even with small coils. The IDX Pro, MX5 or just about any Tesoro will kick it's butt in the iron, which, if you think about it, is everywhere. The Coins & Jewelry program saved and customized is the way to go with the DFX, Pre-Amp Gain for added depth is your friend if used sparingly, AC and DC sensitivity will help along these lines also. VCO turned on is a great pinpointing aid, in fact, the all metal is the best feature on this detector, very deep.

Thanks for the replies. I do not plan on using this machine in any iron laden sites mainly clean sport field type places looking for shallow jewelry and clad. I ordered the book "DFX Gold Methods" by Clive Clynick ans looking for "Digging Deeper with DFX" by Jeff Foster. I may use this at the beach on occasion to see how it runs compared to FBS and BBS machines.

Sham, I would have sold you Clives book cheap, but I won't part with DDwtDFX.. ;-) There is on in the classifieds

airscapes said:
Sham, I would have sold you Clives book cheap, but I won't part with DDwtDFX.. ;-) There is on in the classifieds

I don't see it in classifieds. I see a WTB thread where someone offered the Jimmy Sierra book for $13 and it sold already.

So it is... sorry about that!

Fletch88 said:
Thanks for the replies. I do not plan on using this machine in any iron laden sites mainly clean sport field type places looking for shallow jewelry and clad. I ordered the book "DFX Gold Methods" by Clive Clynick ans looking for "Digging Deeper with DFX" by Jeff Foster. I may use this at the beach on occasion to see how it runs compared to FBS and BBS machines.

I will be using mine for same for the most part , let us know which book is better for that processes ??

thanks and good luck !

AJ

what battery's are people running in the DFX/ 8 AA whites detectors? and whats the voltage what does the DFX run on is it regulated or?

thanks!

AJ

AJ...

When I had mine, I run the factory supplied rechargeable battery, I would recharge after every hunt. I was much younger when I had a DFX many years ago and the rechargeable would run good for a 6 hour hunt, dropping at the end to about 9.5 volts.

I use high capacity 2700mah rechargeable AA batteries. You want to change them out when you hit 8.5 to 9v. They last longer (the 2700s) than alkaline.

Anyone want a mint condition DFX for very cheap? I do not like this machine at all.

I only tried it in my coin garden in the stock coin mode. It is sort of halfway ok in single tone but in Tone VDI I just really don't like the audio. I also don't like having to dig through screen after screen to get to one certain setting.

maybe hang in there with it some of the detectors I really disliked at the start ended up being at the top of my list so while mine is still on its way, I have heard the tones and they are different for sure and that takes time to get used to no doubt, settings maybe once the bulk of it is done its a lot easier to set up.

not many detectors give the user so many options maybe that's a good thing after some time with the detector :biggrin:

I will find out for myself soon enough.

AJ

Good advice AJ, it took me a year to get to the point that I felt that I really knew the DFX and I don't consider myself a detector dummy either.

I see you don't have a DFX now Larry , V3i a big upgrade?

I just had a little voice in my head telling me to buy a couple whites detectors :buds: that's my excuse not sure how sane it is , but hey heard some insaner reasons :jump:

I am liking the MX5 it has a X factor to it.

AJ

amberjack said:
I see you don't have a DFX now Larry , V3i a big upgrade?

AJ

Yep, huge upgrade but if I were hunting just jewelry, I would have a DFX, the DC Phase is the cat's meow hunting for low conductors.